Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I almost hate to say it, but that Google site looks pretty nice (at least, the homepage).

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Sad that you feel you have to go there SkidAce.
    Hope people have some patience- an alternative may be coming before GenCon this year....

Just trying to help out.

• cgregory
    cgregory
    I've decided to try using OneNote for my most recent Shadowrun campaign.

It was free, easy enough to set it up to mimic almost everything that Obsidian Portal does, plus a bunch more things that OP doesn't do.

It is available on every device plus it is also available offline.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    I have heard many sing the praises of OneNote. The primary downside for me was that it can't really be shared with the players, unless we're all sitting there with laptops at the table. If (when?) OP crashes, OneNote will probably be my stopgap temporary application of choice until something better comes along. *crossed fingers*

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• cgregory
    cgregory
    Not really seeing why you are saying it can't be shared with the players, since it can be shared with players as much as OP can. My players and I have OneNote on our tablets, phones, laptops and PCs. So pretty much all the same devices that can access OP.

They are among us!

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Yeah, you're right. I haven't ever tried to share my OneNote file with anyone else, but it'd certainly be do-able if the players were up for it. My players don't generally have laptops/tablets at the table though; they usually access all of the OP campaign stuff at home. I'd probably have to email updates. Kind of a hassle, and not one my group would enjoy.

I think what I really meant was that I haven't figured out any way for the GM to include secret info.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• cgregory
    cgregory
    I have one document that is accessible to everyone, one that only I can access, and one document per player that only has that player and me having access.

You can link across documents, so you don't need to have players open up different files.

Emailing updates? Do you mean email notifications? Sections tabs that have updates are bold as are the page tab that has been updated. So it is fairly easy to see what has been updated since you last looked.

Or did you mean emailing the updated OneNote? OneNote is synced to the cloud your player's copy of your document is updated as soon as they sync with version in the the cloud. Think dropbox and OneDrive.

They are among us!

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    The home page is the one that has received the most work,

and I plan on staying here as long as it functions, however...

I will have a backup plan in place. My data and access to it is too important for my friends across the country.
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    Just signing in, having checking on this, our go to grieving thread. I cannot believe that it's been over a month now without even communication. Absolutely abysmal service. Looks like I too will need to look elsewhere to house my info before long.

Kaleidoscope: get yourself together.

Edit: Having read the Inner Council Members last page, it looks like you guys are well into reactive contact mode. Well done!
    Post edited by RyanHeck on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Still hoping for an actual concrete fix- have had multiple messages of "we have a plan" but no evidence yet of actual fixes. 26 months since the Reforge, 9 months into Kaleidoscope's ownership. That is literally years with no real fixes, and Kaleidoscope has exhausted their excuses.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Now this site is really screwed... sad when the only one who cared is now gone.

Just trying to help out.

• pelwer
    pelwer
    How does one cancel their ascendant membership? Thanks in advance.
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    @killervp - who are you referring to? Alex?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    pelwer Go to the top left after you sign in, and click on "My ascendant membership"
    Down at the bottom of that page it says " Don't need all the great benefits of being an Ascendant member? Downgrade to free" Click on that, and confirm.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com

Just trying to help out.

• Tau_Cetacean
    Tau_Cetacean
    do you get any sort of pro-rated refund for doing that?

and I assume my extra campaign slots would go away (not a big deal, I have several filled up with nearly nothing, would just need to delete down to the main one before I went ahead and cancelled ascendant status)
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    You could not edit your extra campaigns, but they stay on the site.
    I have no idea about refund- I highly doubt it, since they do not seem to be doing anything here.

Just trying to help out.

• RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    http://kaleidoscopeglobal.com/ (the site for the parent company) appears to be in worse shape than it was when the purchase announcement came. It keeps getting load errors on my end and still there's lots of broken or unused content. I suspect most of the employees shown aren't legitimate, as eluded to by others on this thread. Shell company? Maybe it's a sinking ship itself. Such a horrible situation to see this site (OP) in. I would never, ever recommend Kaleidoscope Global for it's services in the future.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @RyanHeck - I'm able to access the KaleidoscopeGlobal.com website on multiple browsers as of 630pm eastern. You might have experienced a temporary glitch.
    Post edited by andreww38 on
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    Accessing it wasn't my problem. It's the click able items that still have stand-in #'s among many links. Their About team page has references to videos that aren't uploaded to the site. I barely find anything else in Web searches about them.
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    The about page lists two people for Obsidian Portal - neither of which are around, unless I'm crazy.
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @RyanHeck - thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it along. There've been a number of changes in recent months, some like Jerry, Travis are no longer at kaleidoscope. I'll see if the page can be updated.

@Bortas - You're right. There was a notice a few months ago that Jerry and Travis are no longer at Kaleidoscope.

I'm from Kaleidoscope and will be more actively managing OP with Alex Redeye.
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    Andrew:

Respectfully, the KG website lists you as a marketer. What OP is in desperate need of now is developers/coders. Have any been assigned to OP?
  • andreww38
    andreww38
    @Bortas -

No worries, go ahead and ask anything on your mind, which is an open invite to all. Post me, PM me, email me at [email protected]. whichever you prefer.

-
    There is a team of Ruby on Rails coders working on various upgrades that were promised during the OP Reforged kickstarter campaign (circa 2013). As the features go into testing and are ready, they will be rolled out on this server. We are working towards completing the bulk of kickstarter goals by the end of Feb 2016.

-
    On my part, besides marketing, I'm also involved in project management, so I'm gathering feedback from OP members from here, the support site (help.obsidianportal.com), the blog, twitter account, FB page and consolidating it into a plan which we'll be working on.
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    Hi @andreww38 - We appreciate this update, but why now? Why has your team remained silent after repeated requests to provide updates for over a month? I would hope you can understand our frustrations.
  • Krothos
    Krothos
    I would be interested in why the sudden long silence. I also sent you a PM regarding another matter I'm hoping you can answer. Thanks.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Welcome back andreww38

I sincerely hope you will be taking a more active part than hitherto. That is THE most important thing right now in my opinion. It will be challenging, since many gripes have deservedly built up around so many quite legitimate issues, but I think there are many of us here that can ride out the storm with a bit of bold leadership.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    RyanHeck- Well said, and I agree- would be nice to stop hearing "It will get better" and get some understanding.

Just trying to help out.

• Lxcharon
    Lxcharon
    What an interesting development. I hope this is a step in the right direction.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I am also curious as to the return of andreww38... Last I knew, he was one of the previous coders that was supposedly removed from the OP team when the notorious "Message from the CEO" hit. So why return now?

All the same, if there are more people ACTUALLY WORKING on OP, I'm happier for it.

As Always,
    _~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• andreww38
    andreww38
    Hi all,

As a quick update, Alex Redeye has had a personal emergency come up which affected his ability to respond in the forum, customer support tickets, etc.

I'll be more actively helping to manage OP going forward.

I can understand the frustration about bug fixes, kickstarter deliverables not materializing, threads not being responded or follow up action not being taken.
    I'd be as angry or more upset if I were in your position.

I'll be posting an announcement in the coming days to provide an update.

As far as possible, I plan to quit with the "I'll send your feedback to the tech team" type replies and give my best reply based on what I can see can be delivered.

There have been a team of RoR coders working on OP, we're testing the features/fixes and will be rolling them out on this server once we're sure they're stable and won't crash the site.

Re: Mae's question about my "return" - I helped Adam/schwing with some stuff a few months ago, helped to bring Alex on board, then was assigned to another project.
    Going forward, I'll be more actively involved in OP.

As mentioned in other threads, all members are welcome to PM, email me at [email protected] or post in the forum threads and I'll do my best to address your concerns, take in your feedback.

Else, thanks for your continued participation in OP!
    Post edited by andreww38 on
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions