Share the Pain: 15 years worth of Character Sheets decanted to Paper Recyling

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf
edited December 2015 in General Archive
Hi All

I just wanted to post this here because most of my normal Facebook friends could never understand the enormity of the emotional experience that comes with such an act.

Over the past 15 years (mainly D&D 3.5 before moving to Pathfinder in the last four or five years) I have been keeping my old characters in well kept folders, taking up at least three sections of my wall unit. With the recent acquisition of new speakers, I have had to empty the shelf to access the wiring and set up the speakers and have decided that all the old characters have to go. I have kept nine folders of my favourite characters and have filled up the recycle bin with all the rest.

Quite an ordeal, I can tell you. But at least I have some more storage space for stuff building up in the next 15 years.

Has anyone else undergone this traumatic experience lately?

twiggyleaf
CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• NikMak
    NikMak
    I cant really share your pain I m afraid, as Im not the hording type: My character sheets, notebooks and rule books are scribbled on, coffee stained, ripped, torn and sadly neglected and in a constant 'death circle' at the edge of the bin (thats a 'trash can' I think for our American cousins) :)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    LOL NikMak, well I have certainly dipped myself into that "Death Circle" today.....

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Bortas
    Bortas
    I totally feel the pain. My solution was to scan them and keep them digitally ;-)

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
    "EIDL":https://eidl.obsidianportal.com
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I didn't bother with that because I basically know I will never use them. There is some emotional pain but also a great "cleansing" feeling.

twigs

Inner Council Member

• ketherian
    ketherian
    Hi twiggyleaf.
    I've done similar, but not for such good reasons.
    We were moving. The pages were yellowed and filled with such great memories. I was trying to reduce the amount of stuff I'd have to move. I wanted to empty the filing cabinet; I managed to get rid of about half of it all. I still have the other half - with great intentions to scan them all in someday. Maybe they'll survive my next move. Maybe.

-
    Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":http://swtwc.obsidianportal.com
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Yes Ketherian, you know the feeling.

I wonder if you will ever use "that other half" though.....

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Adoraith
    Adoraith
    Why do I feel like I just lost a friend?! I have kept every scrap of paper, every note, and yes, every character sheet since the early 1980s. I can't part with them! I won't part with them!

"Adoraith: Echoes of Epirus":https://adoraith-echoes-of-epirus.obsidianportal.com
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Oddly enough, I'm doing something similar right now. I'm in the process of going through my entire gaming collection and culling a LOT of the old stuff that I'm realistically never going to use again.

It wasn't easy to decide to let go of several hundred old Dragon magazines, but they aren't in good condition and very likely wouldn't be of any interest to a collector.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• ketherian
    ketherian
    Old gamers have papercuts. ;)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    UTM, About those old Dragon magazines .... [Exit stage left follwed by bear with a bin in hand]

Adoraith, if you've got the space to keep them, there's no harm.

twigs

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    twiggy, are you expressing interest in them? (I haven't pitched 'em yet.)

I've got a small collection of old stuff I'll be selling, but I probably won't tackle that until after the holidays.

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    People sell old sheets??? Wow, time to get those out- oh yes, I play Palladium and Rifts, which means no one wants them lol...

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    LOL! UTM!

Indeed I am not! The bin is for chucking! There's a future for those sheets in the paper recycling industry!

KVP

I'm sure UTM can't be selling character sheets...... I mean, surely not......

twigs

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Oh no, no no no...

I thought you were expressing interest in my old Dragon magazine collection. Sorry for the confusion.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    UTM: If you're interested in passing on those Dragon Magazines, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. I know we live (relative to most OPers) fairly close to each other, so I'm sure we could work something out.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee