ADDED - Collapsing Adventure Logs

IceBob
IceBob
edited October 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• IceBob
    IceBob
    *Moderator Edit*

I hate to edit others' posts, but this is a popular request, and I just want everyone to know that it exists. Until we find a better way of making it obvious, I just hope that others will find this post...

To cut off your adventure log posts on the main view, just add the following

The system will automatically cut the post at that point and add a "click here to read the rest" link.

Original post follows:

Feature Category: Layout/Convenience
    Priority: Low

*What does it do?*

Condenses the adventure log posts to just the title and tag line until it is "activated" for viewing. It would make the adventure log page much neater and cleaner, and you wouldn't have to scroll past 7 screens worth of text to get to what you're looking for.

Perhaps the most recent post's default position would be "open," with all the other ones collapsed.

*What does it look like?*

A small icon of an arrow beside the adventure log title, perhaps in front of the "edit" button. It would face up when the page is collapsed, and down when the page is open.

I personally don't know any way to do this without Flash or some very convoluted html featuring a forced refresh, and I know you're generally trying to stay away from those things. Still, I think it would be fairly convenient.
  • Lialos
    Lialos
    Nice one!
  • Randolpho
    Randolpho
    I'll second (third! :) ) this.

It never really mattered to me before, because I didn't bother with my adventure log in my last campaign. This time I swear I'll do better. :D
  • spidieman
    spidieman
    i too will vote for this.
  • NumberOneTheLarch
    NumberOneTheLarch
    I think this is a _*really*_ good idea.
  • bpeterso2000
    bpeterso2000
    I agree, this would be useful.
  • bevinflannery
    bevinflannery
    FYI to CelticPaladim and bpeterso2000 -- this feature has been implemented, to allow those writing the adventure log to put in a few lines of text, then have a clickable link to "Read the rest of this entry."

This is done by putting in "" (deleting all spaces and the quotation marks). See, for example, the adventure log in "The Weight of Rubies":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/rubies/adventure-log
  • Micah
    Micah
    I have edited the original post to hopefully make it clear that this feature does in fact exist. Thanks to bevinflannery to posting the code to do it.
  • darkbeto
    darkbeto
    It does'nt work for me, this works in Textile format? if not how can I make it work?
  • BTS1967
    BTS1967
    I likewise cannot get this to function. Any help would be appreciated.

Reference http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/hubris-of-the-solars/adventure-log

Thanks
  • bevinflannery
    bevinflannery
    BTS1967 --

From looking at your adventure log, it looks like the dashes aren't the same length, though for the life of me I can't imagine why: Both before and after the "more" one dash is short and the other is long.
  • BTS1967
    BTS1967
    Nice catch Bevinflannery! I did a copy of the code above and pasted it in. In the code format they dashes look the same and I didn't notice the difference when published. Just as an off-chance I deleted them and keyed in the dashes... Now it works!

Thanks!
    BTS