[Announcement] Obsidian Portal - management team update (Aug 2015)

Comments

• saethone
    saethone
    @alex_redeye Congrats! You are definitely deserving of the position. You came to OP with an open mind and a helpful attitude. You've already helped me - a self-proclaimed advanced user - step up my campaigns even more.

There aren't many regular users on the forums who wouldn't make great "inner council" members to be honest. This has been one of the most inclusive, helpful, friendly communities I've ever encountered.

Glad to see things continue to improve around here, I'd love to see it get back to pre-reforge levels of activity and momentum.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @Bluesguy, I said this the first time you posted suggestions on fixes, and will echo again-
    Please, OP, take Bluesguy's help and guidance- Great ideas!!

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    So everyone is aware, we are absolutely taking bluesguy into serious consideration here. I passed this information along, and my bosses have taken notice and will be reaching out to him directly here to discuss some things further. We will have some more updates as they become available on this.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    :)

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• bluesguy
    bluesguy
    I have been in contact with Alex and his boss. We plan on having a conversation this weekend. Would have happened this week but my new day gig project requires that I wrestle it to the ground. Its like fighting a hydra... And I left my vorpal blade and containers of acid at home :-)
  • Saabi
    Saabi
    You might wanna go back and get your blade and acid. It's dangerous to go without. ;)
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    @Saabi - You are funny!

For everyone's benefit I had an excellent conversation this afternoon about the kind of help I can provide and what would be helpful. I am pleased to say that I feel like we are dealing with professionals who want to meet the communities needs, fulfill long term goals and make money. IMO those are all equally important.

@alex_redeye's communication and transparency about what is going on has been excellent.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Bluesguy, you are rockin'

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Saabi
    Saabi
    That's nice to know about the people working OP right now!
    @bluesguy Thanks. I try...too hard.
  • drednik
    drednik
    member since 2011 as a user, just now became ascendant and a GM, I'm happy to see OP has opened up the communication and is actively engaged in making this sight as great as it can be.
  • Unknown
    I'm really glad to see a number of long standing folks returning back to the site! Not all of them have been popping in, but I know a lot of the password resets I have been doing are from folks that registered between 2009-2011. Always a bit to read and check on the forums everyday now, love it. Welcome back!
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Hoping for fixes soon.
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Dear Management Team-
    We have been patient. You got lucky when you got Alex, who is an awesome community manager- honest, and always on top of replying to issues.
    You said that you had issues with your technical staff, and some were let go. We were patient.
    Some of us offered to help, to test, to pitch in. You took some in, and we were patient.
    You announced with much fanfare that a fix had been made with the email issues.
    Only it only addressed one part of the email issue, notifications. It did not fix the truly critical part to us, and to your own business- inviting new players.
    It also broke many other items.
    We can no longer add images, an essential part to any site that is more than text- which means the paying customers!
    We can no longer add maps, an essential part to any site that is more than text- which means the paying customers!
    We can no longer comment on adventure logs. Did you know that there are campaigns that rely exclusively on the adventure logs to run play-by-post games? That is due to the fact that the forums have been broken since the Reforge- a common way to work around it, and now that is gone as well.
    We can no longer check the dashboard stream, as any page created since the "fix" does not show up.

Why should we continue to be patient?

Just trying to help out.

• bluesguy
    bluesguy
    _@killervp: Only it only addressed one part of the email issue, notifications. It did not fix the truly critical part to us, and to your own business- inviting new players._

Not fixed 10 hours ago. It is fixed now. I can invite people. I believe others have tested places where email is used as well.

_@killervp: It also broke many other items._

Bloody fragile code and regression testing seems to be lacking.

_@killervp: We can no longer add images, an essential part to any site that is more than text- which means the paying customers!_

Not fixed 10 hours ago. That one bugged me because I was uploading a new image (map). It is fixed now.

_@killervp: We can no longer add maps, an essential part to any site that is more than text- which means the paying customers!_

Looks like it is fixed now.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I am impressed- it all got fixed! Thanks to all that stayed up so late taking care of this (I was chatting with Alex at 3am Eastern).
    I again volunteer to be part of the group that tests things.
    Your response on fixing the fix was great- and for that I thank you. It should not have taken so long to get the fix, but once it broke things people really stepped up.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi All

It seems at last that things are happening.
    I am still not altogether happy with the email notifications though: Please see my report in "Email Fix Live":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4057&page=1#Item_30

twiggyleaf

Inner Council Member

• Unknown
    Hey folks, a bit behind on some responses around here - been hard at work with the tech team so I hope you all understand.

@killervp - We will be continuing to talk, and I hope to expand your role here soon.

@twigs - I responded on the Email Fix thread to you, lets get this sorted!
  • wolfhound
    wolfhound
    Just wanted to chime in and comment on a few things

First, thanks for all the kind words and recommendations. It means a lot to me to know that all the time I spent on the tutorials, etc. actually made a difference for some of you.

Second, maybe it's about time I updated all that stuff? :)

Third, they've reached out to me and brought me on board. I'm not entirely sure how best I can help out, but I suspect it will have a lot to do with what I did before on my own pages, except maybe something centralized.

Fourth, there's a lot of stuff that's FUBAR right now. But when it comes to the new folks, at this time I'm going to "Assume Positive Intent" ... that makes it easier to handle a lot of things.

Fifth... minor thing. My personal story started in a hospital in Singapore (though I moved back to the family homestead in Texas in '84) so I may be biased but I think folks from Singapura can "get it done" ;)

I guess we'll find out together how this goes. Should be interesting if nothing else.
    Post edited by wolfhound on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Wolfhound, you have been a great help to people in this community, including myself, and have been missed! I hope that they use you in a positive manner.

Just trying to help out.

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    I second anything killervp, twigs or wolfhound says or wants done.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Great to see you around again JaymesBolton! How goes the 5 rings?

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Just wanted to touch base again in this thread, as it has to do with management. Alex is great- and so far the only good thing about the new OP. We have requested some transparency, and gotten the same platitudes from the CEO. Have heard not a peep from the ops manager, even though the email fix is still broken, even though they broke a number of items in the original fix (which, to give credit, they fixed quickly). I refer people back to the blog post from "the CEO":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/message- to look at what I feel are reasonable requests.
    OP has lost so many formerly active ascendant accounts, and even those that have stayed, like myself, are no longer recommending it. Please help us.

Just trying to help out.

• Adoraith
    Adoraith
    Hi everyone!

I for one am ever the optimist and look forward to seeing our new OP heroes in action. I do have a few questions.

1) I apologize if this has already been answered but has anything been decided on what kind of role the council will play inside or outside of the OP community?
    2) Do the honcho's at OP have any plan for increasing Obsidian Portal's social media presence to increase membership?
    3) Has the subscription bug been fixed? I know of several people who have no button to actually activate their ascension membership. Doesn't help much to attract people if they can't spend money.

That said, I love Obsidian Portal ... love all you guys ... but still hate elves as they cause cancer...

"Adoraith":https://adoraith-echoes-of-epirus.obsidianportal.com/
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I also am an optimist, otherwise I would have left as others have.

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    Howdy hi again, let me get your questions:

1) The council presently has some differing roles depending on the position, and we are looking to expand this presently. The end goal is to have our Community Ambassadors available on the Help/Support site to field items that don't need high level admin access or development intervention to resolve in an official capacity. We are also going to be getting them details on the workload of items for development so they can provide some feedback from a member perspective on priorities and impacts to the community. We are looking to have our Curators of Knowledge get access to working on the Knowledgebase (get it updated for the Reforge and get new content added) and also developing some new tutorials for OP as well. Finally, the Master of the Sheets is in charge of managing the DSTs here on OP, and we are looking to be able to expand that access to allow for ownership transfers on items (which has been sorely lacking in the past).

2) For social media presence, that is on the back burner right now. The core of the community does seem to frequent the forums here and have for a long time, and there was a strong out cry to make it so social media was not required to stay up-to-date on OP. With that said, once we are out of triage mode I will be looking into doing things to help us expand our membership and get the OP brand out to the masses more. This will hopefully include a return of convention presence, more action on our social media, more contests and prizes, etc. I have not put tons of thought into the various options just yet, because as I mentioned we are in triage mode working to get OP stable and strong again.

3) To my knowledge, yes it has been. All the reports I had gotten on it from the Help/Support site have confirmed they are now able to subscribe as an Ascendant member. If there are any other issues with this I would be very eager to hear them so we can get looking into it.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Well, I know someone nominated me, but i'd like to throw my hat in for the helping get the brand out there. As it says in my profile, I was president of a company that ran two several successful gaming conventions here in NJ...and alot of those connections still exist.

Just saying :)

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Unknown
    Appreciate that, and I will keep you in mind for such a role. While the main focus, as mentioned, is still the triage (which I will have some more details on here shortly) it is important to point out that expansion is on the radar. I am actually going to be meeting with some folks here to discuss some rough ideas for that soon. Now that I think we have things in place for the present Council Members (I just need to implement a couple more things), I am also going to propose that we expand the Council for a few new facets. If I get the go ahead on that I will be talking to a few more people very soon here (won't name anyone specifically just yet, but I bet people can make some pretty informed guesses).
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    It seems to me, you are doing a fine job, Alex.

I am still happy to remain patient for all the new stuff and REFORGE Promised stuff.
    (But please don't forget all those tickets - Search ability outside of each campaign would still be of great interest to many on this site, and increase communication between its members.)

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• Adoraith
    Adoraith
    Alex,

I have confirmed that the issue of subscribing as an Ascendant member is still an issue. One person has this on their Ascendant Member Details with no way of re-subbing:

Note: Your subscription is set to expire on May 24, 2014. You will not be charged again.
    Pay Period: Yearly
    Next Payment: None (Subscription Expiring)

I appreciate the information. I have been a big fan of OP for a very long time and while I never had the time to commit to a fully developed webpage the tools provided can still be used to make a brilliant hub of information for any game. I look forward to our renaissance.

"Adoraith: Echoes of Epirus":https://adoraith-echoes-of-epirus.obsidianportal.com/
    Post edited by Adoraith on
  • Unknown
    Can you pop me the members username so I can look over their account and see what is up? The mention of it "expiring" makes me wonder about a couple things.