Shadowrun 5e through Obsidian Portal

falloutmind
falloutmind
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
So I am using Obsidian Portal for the first time as a main part of running my game. Its basically serving as the info hub for the game. In the world of shadowrun there are sites that runners use to network, and in my game fluff Obsidian Portal does exist so thats how players have accesses to the info on the site. Any other DM's out there have experience with using this kind of idea, and any hints on making Obsidian Portal good tool for the players?

Comments

• NikMak
    NikMak
    Do you have the premium 'ascendant' membership? If you do you can set up secret areas on each page that are player specific. You could have fire wall security levels for each players net run, so they don't all see the same info... But that's a lot of work!
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I have not utilized player secrets in my Shadowrun wiki as this is mostly a project for me and Rase Cidraen to organize the data from our campaigns, but I think that utilizing the players secrets section of the page would be a pretty great way to simulate this (the secret areas that NikMak mentioned). On an info node, this would allow you to create a page that has public domain information and then information that is specific to each player, either they have a high access level, or they have hacked their way in to get some juicy piece of pay data. If my site was used by my players, as opposed to just myself and co-gm for organization and fun, I would totally do that.

Here's the two pages that I put together with Rase so you can see what we're using it for. (We are running two games with different groups that take place in the same "instance" of Shadowrun. My game is in Seattle, his in Denver, hence the different color schemes :))
    My game: "Emerald Echoes":https://emerald-echoes.obsidianportal.com/
    Rase's game: "Diamond Pulse":https://shadowrun-diamond-pulse.obsidianportal.com/
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    Our Shadowrun campaign "Geek The Mage First":https://geek-the-mage-first.obsidianportal.com/ was used by players as well as the DM. It was our very first attempt at using Obsidian Portal back in 2011 and we found it really useful.

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• BearerOfTidings
    BearerOfTidings
    Emerald Echoes is NICE! I look forward to seeing what you do with it next.
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Cgregory - really nice page on Emerald Echoes! remind me of this when and if campaign of the month re-opens - its a very strong contender.

not sure if its just me, or something to do with OP updates or what, but the load time between pages was really long for me (fyi I'm on a Uni-campus network and I'm the only one in the office, so i have a very (very very!) fast connection right now )
  • Unknown
    @NikMak - Yea, we have noticed the slower loads since getting email rolling again. My suspicion is the extra load from the emails going is impacting the environment so we are looking into our options (be that an optimization of the servers or an upgrade).
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    NikMak, just wanted to point out, Emerald Echoes is mine, not Cgreg's :P

Edit: Just looked through the adventure log of Cgregory's game and just wanted to say damn, that's a lot of content. I'm impressed :)
    Post edited by gaaran on
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    sorry Gaaran, my mistake :)
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    Thanks Gaaran,

If I remember correctly the reward of a karma point for a post after a session really lit a fire under people to post adventure logs.

We have been thinking about using the Shadowrun system again soon. Right now, it is a toss up between a Pirate based pathfinder Campaign and an XCom based campaign using the Shadowrun system. Basically, bioware and cyberware will be need to be researched from captured alien tech. Magic will be psychic powers. Trolls, orcs, dwarfs, elves will be humans genetically modified by alien DNA. But all characters will start out as plain vanilla humans

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016