[Announcement] Technical Updates Discussion

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @alex_redeye- The proper thing for testing would be to have the people who backed the kickstarter at the Beta level to test everything. Those that backed at that level got very little to test or participate in for their extra $, and as one of them, I think it would be appreciated to actually get our money's worth now...
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Over 350 Fans, and Looking for More!

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Here, here! (Now if we could just track them all down...)

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Unknown
    That is some very good points killervp - I'll do some research and see if I can track down who all donated to appropriate levels so we can bring them in to test. Doesn't seem proper to pay for that right and not get to do it really.
  • berdman
    berdman
    @alex_redeye take a look at this page "Reforge Heroes":https://www.obsidianportal.com/reforge_backers

Based on the Kickstarter I believe everyone that was Tinker Ascendant and higher was to get the Beta access. Don't know if this everybody, but is probably a good starting point to get a list together.
  • Unknown
    @berdman - Nice! I am finding there seem to be a number of pages around here that are not so easily accessible. I am going to have to see about fixing this when we get looking into the menu system further. Thanks for pointing me to this resource.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Speaking of pages not readily accessible, I would like to add the Ascendant Features page. I wanted to take a look for the File Limits feature but couldn't find it. Before the Reforge, it was readily visible yet now I can't find it at all. Why should anyone decide to upgrade to Ascendant if they don't really know what they get for their buck? If it is just hidden from those already Ascendant, how can they direct their friends (players or GMs) to it if they don't know where it is themselves? This seems like it is anti-marketing in action, and definitely a detriment to making OP more self-sustaining financially.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Speaking of basic fixes, still shows that Micah, Jerry, and Travis are the monitors of the help pages

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    It should only show me, I removed them a couple days ago. Maybe a cache issue, cause when I load it I only see me listed as the Supporter.
  • Unknown
    Oh, and for Belrathius, that was on my mind too. Some of these tickets I am touching on are simple questions about the features on Ascendant, so this clearly needs more visibility.
  • berdman
    berdman
    @alex_redeye happy to help.

In case I didn't mention it I am really waiting for Natural Editing. :D I backed at the Immortal level to help and make sure we got there as that was the one feature beside the generally reforge that I was interested in.

I would be happy to help anyway, but really want to help speed this upcoming release along and with few issues for purely selfish reasons.
  • Unknown
    It is appreciated.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    All I see is Alex now.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I also only see Alex on the Help page.

@berdman, hey, another Immortal! Good to know there's another one around here.

Y'know, that was my biggest minor gripe with the "Reforge Heroes"; we never got badges to signify our Reforger statuses. Granted, I'm an achievement hunter, so a chance to show off my accomplishments is a draw for me.

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• berdman
    berdman
    @Maesenko glad to meet another Immortal as well. Yeah badges would be cool, even if it was just a general Reforge Hero badge.

I also liked the badges that showed up for running a campaign, 1 year and 3 years and wish there were more of them. Been a member a little over 6 years and was hoping to see more of them, so yeah got collect them all.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I would support the increase and continuation of badges. Apart from the self satisfaction of being awarded for something (which is not a bad thing in itself), from the perspective of someone else looking in, it is also a good way to quickly get an essence of fellow OP user. Like you, Maesenko, I was also expecting one for being part of the Reforge. It seemed the obvious thing at the time.....

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    I would say that badges aren't just about self-satisfaction, it's also about being recognized or acknowledged for something. Such things could be as simple as GM'ing a campaign or as difficult as achieving 300 fans (for example ). In fact, I had expected that members of the Vanguard Assistance program would also get badges added, to acknowledge their contributions to the community (note that I was not a member but felt those who were should be recognized for such). For many people, the the Vanguard program and various members of the community actually made the Reforge survivable. They were the sole reason that many people, myself included, still remained because they helped overcome the fiasco that was a typical campaign site, whether directly by adjusting the campaign or through general CSS tips in the forums. People like Killervp and Wolfhound (and so many others) made the Reforge just a fiasco instead of a veritable campaign site cataclysm.

You know, maybe we should start -a campaign- an initiative to not only resurrect profile badges, but even expand on them.
    Pardon me while I go start a new thread.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I support the badge effort.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    :)

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks for the kind words Belrathius- again, glad you are involved in making it better.

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    Badges are another item that Andrew and I have been discussing already. Glad to see I wasn't unfounded in thinking the community would appreciate that.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    It would be cool if badges could be given out to forum moderators.
    I don't think the badge page has been updated since the reforge.

A set to thank those who create system-generic resources would be nice (like: gaming magic, shared creations, fastinomicon, ...). It would be even better if this type of site could have its own unique game system (something we could search for).
    Page fans are a nice thing to route for, but is that all that members should strive for as being part of this site?
    Personally,I'm not a fan of having both a 1 and a 3 badge. I'd rather have a date on the years badge than a number of years - or if the number of years is preferred, I'd rather have a single badge saying instead of , , , ...

Just my 2d.
    - Ketherian
    "Signs & Portends":https://swtwc.obsidianportal.com
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Deleted post
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• Unknown
    I have added an update for today. Run down is basically we have kicked some other items on to hold to address this Email Notification issue. Tech is confident they will have this fixed within the week.
  • Unknown
    I have added a new blog post to the listing, a message directly from the CEO of Kaleidoscope, Keith. There are some additional details about some of the behind the scenes here that will likely answer a lot of questions, and may well raise some new questions as well. I am here for you folks - I will be catching some sleep in a bit here but will be back around shortly thereafter.
  • berdman
    berdman
    @alex_redeye,

The team at Microsoft working on their reengineer of the asp.net as part of the bigger vNext initiative have what the call community stand ups that provide a window into what is going on and to answer questions. I don't know if OP's process would work with something like that, but I think it could help address some of the concerns around what is actually being down. I will attach the link to it so you can see what I am taking about.

https://live.asp.net/

Again thanks for the open and honest information you have been providing.
  • lucklesshero
    lucklesshero
    Just want to reiterate (what others have already said) that, I believe the management team is making an honest effort to solve these on-going issues and that alex_redeye's prompt responses and tireless effort seem to be proof of that. Having said that, after the issues with the e-mail and other things are resolved; could ascendant members be in line for some type of credit in the form of an extension of a month or two? Has this been discussed?
  • lucklesshero
    lucklesshero
    Also, relating to my previous comment (loosely): If it's an issue with $ I would certainly be willing to sign up for another kick starter or even give advance payment on 2016-2017 ascendant membership if that, would help sort out some of the more daunting issues confronting OP (say pay for two years g in advance and get 2 and a half years worth of ascendant membership) ...

Point is I have really enjoyed working on my campaigns with OP in the past, and I hate to see them go through this in part because of how successful they've been. How can we (the OP community) Help?
  • Krothos
    Krothos
    I would be willing to pay $$$ now for a promotion on my membership. :)
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Email Notifications

"We are putting everything else on hold and getting all focus shifted to this issue..... I have spoken with our tech team and they have advised me we should have a fix for this in no later than a week." (Alex_Redeye, Weekly Tech Update, 11 Sept 2015)

Alex, can you please give an update on this issue.

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I would assume that this will be part of the weekly "end of week update" Alex mentioned previously. It'll likely be up tomorrow.

On a personal note, I have been getting many more email notifications from the public parts (forums, blog, help) than we used to.
    I don't have any current engagements for campaigns, so I can't speak to any experience on that front.

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions