New Reforge Issue Tracking List

124»

Comments

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Hi Alex,

All I did was try to centralize the numerous complaints that were coming in, and provide them in a concise manner. The goal actually wasn't about providing the community a voice, as that was already happening since most of my entries came from other posts. Instead, my goal was to make it easier for development during such a tumultuous time, allowing them to focus on development rather than sifting through the mounds of posts going on. Consider it a bug triage, if you will. I would gladly continue (albeit on a new post) if it would be of help to development, but I would need a bit more info first please. Specifically, what format of data would be best for their purposes? I was guessing, frankly, on what info would be useful and what wouldn't. Given that the post-Reforge time was rather hectic with a ton of submissions all at once, the help ticket system was not the most efficient method at the time. Would that still be seen as true? Would a forum post be a better processing point than the existing help ticket system? While visibility would be greater, would it be less useful for the workflow of development?

Again, I am happy to contribute in this manner (or most any other), so long as the effort is valuable and beneficial. That, I think, is the important determination here. Note that I won't be offended if the answer is yes or no, I am simply seeking to determine the answer of whether or not this method is helpful at this juncture.
  • Unknown
    @SkidAce - That is actually a somewhat tricky question to answer. There are a lot of issue, some of them are rather complex while others are a lot more simplistic in nature. I also have not finished going through the massive pile of things yet, so my data set of what we are looking at is still somewhat incomplete (though the data is out there for me to aggregate). I believe the capacity and time is certainly there, but I won't lie that OP has become a complex and very customized system (Andrew touched on this some in the Management announcement thread). So, just how much time are we actually looking at for everything, I can't rightfully say quite yet.

@Belrathius - You can say that is "all you did," but it doesn't change the fact that it was a huge task to undertake. I think what might help the most right now, to act as a companion to this post that covers a lot of the issues that popped up with the reforge, would be to get another thread that similarly covers that random items that have started to collect in here. With how things had gotten on the Support Page, I know some folks had been popping in here to report issues rather than bringing them to the Support Page. I will be having to go through and find all of these instances, but if you wanted to start on this while I am working my way through the Support Page, then when I get over here I may already have a nice centralized posting of what needs to be touched on still. The formatting you have used here, where you break it up into sections, is fantastic. As for how to record the information, something like this should suffice:

Date Reported: mm/dd/yy
    Issue: Basic description
    Discussions: Forum URL (if you are inclined and find multiple posts on the same thing include both)

From there I can gather up any last little bits of needed details on the particular issues, cross reference it to what has been reported on the Support Site, and then better prioritize the series of issues we have sitting around.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Sounds good. I will get started on this after the weekend.
  • Unknown
    Take your time, it is a load of work to be sure, and I appreciate any assistance you can provide on it.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    You are awesome Belrathius, and it is great to see you back here!

Just trying to help out.

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Kind words, Killervp, thank you.

I am starting to dig into recreating this with more current issues. I figured the best way to start was to a) list all issues from this thread that I can verify to still be an issue, b) all stretch goals from the kickstarter, and c) all open tickets within the help system. I scraped the "info for B":https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/252020431/obsidian-portal-reforged/description easily enough, but clicking on the "Help link":http://help.obsidianportal.com/ took me to a place mentioning "discussions" rather than help tickets (and still lists Micah, DreadGazebo, and Travis as the support staff, just an FYI). Can someone please tell me, where precisely should I be going to find the open tickets?
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    You went to the "right" place. In the Problems section, if a thread is marked as assigned then when you open it, there will be a status and # in the upper right area.

That's as much as I can determine.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Thanks Skid.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Hey Alex, I have been doing a small bit of bug triages on really old stuff that was still open. In many cases, they could simply be closed, but I commented on them either way to raise awareness (and leave the real decisions to the duly authorized). Need to stop for a bit, but I got up to February 2014 (my goal is all bugs prior to 2015).

As an aside, would there be a problem with me creating a second account? My first is Ascendant, so obviously it's not to get more campaign stuff, but I want to use it to verify stuff for both Ascendant and non-Ascendant users.
  • Unknown
    Let me look into that for you (the bit about the second account). I think it should be fine, but just want to be sure it wouldn't cause any kind of headaches for anyone. I really appreciate everything you're doing to help out, just needed to say that again.

Also Skid is correct, the Support page is still the right place for people to be going and such. We are working on getting some issues with that sorted out so I can get the proper access and we can get things rolling on it. There are some underlying issues going on with that section as well, and I will have more on this coming out soon, just getting last details to make a proper announcement.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Hi all,

Still in the process of verifying what was and was not fixed from this list in order to post a new list thread soon. That said, could someone please verify the "sticky" issue in forums? I have verified the other forum issues, but I simply don't see a way to sticky a forum thread. Now, maybe that itself is the bug, but I want to make sure and don't want my own unfamiliarity with the campaign forums to affect reporting a non-issue or not reporting a valid issue.

Thanks,

- Bel
    Post edited by Belrathius on
  • Unknown
    That option is not currently available on the Campaign Forums. I don't believe it is a bug as it does not appear to have been designed to do that, but I think that would be a great feature request for when we are ready.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Hi Alex,

The reason it was submitted as a bug is because prior to the Reforge it was an available feature that many PBP games relied on - just as these forums rely on stickies as well. The Reforge issues aren't just bugs in that the current behavior doesn't meet the intended design, but rather the new system design broke expectations set and relied upon by the previous functions. Consider Windows 8. They removed the Start Menu completely, despite years of building expectation (conditioning, in fact) on how to use Windows. Was it a failure to meet the design? Nope. It was, however, a departure from important functionality that so many relied upon and as such they brought it back in Windows 10. Stickies are integral to the very core of forums nearly everywhere. For a site like this, where the forums can even serve a critical function (at least for PBP games), stickies are not just a nice, added feature, they are an important element that serves a need. A need that was met and built reliance upon the feature, and then broke that silent agreement to meet the expectation that it built.

Please note that I am simply expressing to the best of my ability what was voiced at the time. I personally don't participate in PBP games and these are the only forums on OP that I participate in. That said, I respect the opinions of those who submitted this issue two years ago and intend to include this despite my personal indifference to the issue.

As an aside, I am down to verifying two issues prior to reposting a new thread (sans help tickets, since those will be thoroughly processed individually at some point). Both issues require an Ascendant and non-Ascendant account. Any word on me creating a second non-Ascendant test account, even temporarily?
  • Unknown
    Nope, I follow you Belrathius, and I agree that is something important to consider. Thanks for the thoughtful and careful explanation of this, it paints a much clearer picture of community expectations.

Also I must apologize, with the whirlwind around users not getting password resets (and thus not having access to their accounts) it honestly slipped by me asking for your second account while addressing these issues manually. I have sent an email to Andrew just this moment to confirm there would not be any issues with this for us, and I should be able to get back to you tonight on that. Again, I am sorry for the delay on this and any issues it is causing in your testing.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    No worries, Alex, I agree that users getting their account issues sorted definitely take priority. Getting the issues re-posted (after two years) can wait an extra day or two without a problem.

I just want to also say that it seems, to me, that you have been doing a great job trying to stay on top of everything as best as possible and serve as a bridge between dev (or tech) and the community. The added levels of communication have helped tremendously in rebuilding faith in OP going forward. Like you consistently say, there is still much to be done, but your work is definitely, sincerely appreciated.
  • Unknown
    I really appreciate that Belrathius, and I have every intent of continuing at this level or (if I can muster it) pushing things to an even greater level. It is a big hill to climb, but just think of the view when we reach the summit - that is all I need to keep me going.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    @Alex,

There is something still residual about sticky forums.

You cant make new ones sticky, but several of those that were previously still stay at the top of the forum list.
  • Unknown
    @Skid,

To clarify, do you mean that items that have been removed from the Sticky Posts are still staying up at the top for you on the community forums here? Or are you referring to the Campaign Forums side of things (meaning that items that were Sticky on Campaign Forums are still Sticky now, but you cannot make new Sticky items or remove items that are already Sticky since the Reforge happened).

Just want to make sure I am following that correctly.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    The second option, concerning Campaign forums. And you described it perfectly.
  • Unknown
    Perfect, just wanted to be sure.
  • Unknown
    Hey Bel, about to head to bed, didn't have a chance to chat with Andrew today so I don't have an answer on the account for you tonight - I forget he is a day ahead of me right now and is already on his weekend. With that said, I will have your final confirmation in just a little bit since I did get the email out on it.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    No worries, it's all good.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So, Belrathius, is this list going to be updated?

Just trying to help out.

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Yes and no. I was waiting on getting approval for a second account to verify some of the issues. I just finished verification and can move forward. The no is because I don't intend to update this thread but rather create a new one that should be available within the next 10 minutes - easily done because my notes are external, just need paste them into a new thread.
  • WoozleWozzle
    WoozleWozzle
    The youtube videos I had embedded into a few wiki pages here and there recently stopped working, but were fine in the spring (I believe that means it was working in Reforged then stopped working in Refored?). In trying to fix the videos, I also discovered that the tags to embed youtube videos had been changed without notice, but the new tags do not work either. Perhaps the backend change to adjust the tags is what broke everything?

Is this on the list?
  • Unknown
    @WozzleWozzle - yep, this is known and applies to just about any kind of embedding (videos, PDFs, music). This lets us know the issue is not likely due to an API change, but something on our end. Tech is investigating, and this could very well be related to the build environment issues that seem to be the source of a lot of little problems around here.
  • abu_is_evil
    abu_is_evil

Here is the list that was later distilled.

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Ahhh, memories.... fyi, found this buried behind a lot of posts, so thought it might help to show how long some things have been broken.

Just trying to help out.