Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Unknown
    Indeed, I really do hope to still see you around Jerry.
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Thank you Jerry!

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Good luck Alex, you'll need it.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi All

Best wishes, Jerry! You did some amazing things on this site and your work on the PODCAST was outstanding. Best of luck in all your new ventures!

For those who are just "tuning in" after a while away from this site:

Please have a read of the "Obsidian Portal Management Team Update":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4019&page=1#Item_43 and make your voice heard on this most important development. (Aug 2015)

twigs

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Fare thee well Jerry
    Thanks for all the hard work and for putting up with us nutballs round here without resorting to Nuclear Weapons and demon summoning :)

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "2013 Campaign of The Year":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/2013-coty-shadows-over-new-york/
    "Campaign of the Month July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Unknown
    Thanks very much Jerry, and again, please do be sticking around!
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Hey all,

I've been pretty silent here the last couple of days. I've checked in a couple of times every day, but a lot has happened in such a short amount of time, and it's left me a bit at a loss for words.
    That said, it seems to me that this particular thread is no longer the place to discuss our post-Reforge woes, and we have new people in charge working on it.

I'll keep it short then.

Congrats to Alex on the promotion.
    Thank you for all your efforts, Jerry.

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Unknown
    Thanks Mae! Good to see you around.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Mae, you have been missed. Welcome back

Just trying to help out.

• Praesi
    Praesi
    Hey Guys,

don't get me wrong - I'm neither a well known community member, nor do I have anything to offer when it comes to technical understanding or supporting anyone.
    I'm just one in thousands of users, and that's what I do here: I (try to) use OP to track my campaigns. Plain and simple.
    I don't want to point out to anyone and I don't want to poison the enthusiasm that seems to spread right now, but still: even 20 new (and nice) community managers won't make the text editor working. An inner council will not make character linking functional. And even the biggest ammount of good will will not send out my email notifications.
    I haven't used OP for a long time now - but as a complete new campaign is in sight now (it'll start in 2 weeks) I thought it woluld be nice to track everything again (I didn't do that with the last two campaigns). But there still (since reforge) seem to be a lot of basic issues that need to be fixed! I don't even know where to look or where / who to ask and what to do with my problems here when they come at such basic levels as text editing and character linking!
    Please forgive me my advocatus diaboli behaviour when I say: since my last try to use OP there seems to have been 'much ado about nothing'!
    Sure, the community is still really great and helpful, but even if tricking around a lot of issues is possible, that is not the reason why I'm here. It already takes too much of my time to sort my notes after playing, to write some nice adventure log entries, to check the web for cool and fitting pictures, to update the characters and items, and to organize the next gaming session... .
    I hope there will be some 'real' improvement, soon.
    Sorry for my perpetual nagging - but thanx for listening to my 2ct jingling on the floor.
  • Unknown
    Hey Praesi, thanks for dropping in your feedback and sentiments. I would like to get a better understanding of the issues that you are mentioning if you wouldn't mind reaching out to me. The email notifications is a known issue, but I would like to touch base on the Character Linking and Text Editing that you bring up. Feel free to respond here, message me directly, or whatever feels most comfortable for you to broach these items.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Alex, you are aware of the big kickstarter "natural editing" we were told would be implemented?

I believe that is what is meant by text editing.
  • Unknown
    I figured, but want to be sure there isn't some other underlying bug I am not aware of. But yes, I am aware, I mentioned it in the last tech update.
  • Unknown
    You're good Skid, don't worry about it.
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    Hey Alex and Skid,

no, I'm talking just about formatting my text in the adventure logs: "italics" and "bold" simply don't work. The underline for italics and the star for bold appears, but that's it.
    The button for inserting the links to the characters section fills in "a text" with the double brackets but no link.
    How can I invite my players to the new campaign? Email invites don't seem to work as notifications don't seem to work at all.
    That's what I meant with basic level issues. When problems like that get you as soon as inviting players or writing some text it really is a setback.
  • Unknown
    Understood. Both of these facets are on the radar, the editing part falls under the Natural Editing KS Stretch Goal and the issues with Notifications is a high priority issue being looked at by tech (and likely stemming from the build environment issues we have been discussing recently that are being worked on directly right now).

For inviting your players we do have a workaround while this is going on. If they go ahead and setup their OP account, you can invite them to the campaign by the OP username which will give them an on site notification they can use to join. It is not perfect, but it will let you get your players involved now rather than waiting on the fix roll out.
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    @Praesi, How long ago did you test the insert character link and find it not working? I checked it just a moment ago and it worked just fine for me.
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    Hey everyone,

"inside" OP the invitations seem to work - one of my players finally managed to sign in. One of four, but I'm not sure if this is due to technical problems or if they simply don't go to the OP-Page anymore... .

@Kallak: One minute ago (FR 3:15 pm in Germany ;-) ) I checked, and it still doesn't work. When I insert the link it brings back _Content Not Found: null _

Do I understand right: basic editing like bold, italics and such is right now not possible 'cause it is part of the natural editing KS goal?
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Hi Praesi,

No, basic editing should indeed work. It won't show it as bold until the page is saved, but if you hit the "preview" button you should see the item bolded rather than the surrounding asterisks seen in the edit text box. The edit text box does not show markup, just the surrounding * (for bold) and _ (for italics). If it still shows up with the special characters rather than the Textile formatting, please provide us a link to the page so others in the community can help to figure out why you are having this issue. Also, please use the character link button to link an existing character. If it fails, it would be good to see what it gives; that might give us more insight into what is going on.
  • Unknown
    Yep, if you can post a page URL that has some examples of these issues I would be happy to take a peek.
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    @Praesi, are your pages and such in German? I'm wondering if the insert character link being broken for you could somehow be a language file gone bad or missing type of problem since it's working for me (USA) and not for you (German?).
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    Here you go: https://freiburg-1.obsidianportal.com/posts/vorspiel

In line 7, next to the picture, I tried to insert the Character link which shows up as "Content Not Found: null"
    Further down, maybe half of this introducing text, there are two letters. The first one starts with "Hochverehrter Medicus...", and later the second one starts with "Hochwürdigster Herr Erzbischof...". These letters should be seen in italics, but it doesn't seem to work. Neither in preview, nor in the saved text version.

@Kallak: Hm, maybe, but I don't have any idea what could be wrong with that. Before the reforge I have never had any problems. Sure, from time to time there have been 'special things' I could'nt bring onto my campaign page - but these have always been 'special things'. If it took me too long to find out I just skipped it. But now I have to ask the community about how to set a link or to write in italics... .

@all: guys, you're awesome! I thank you for caring and looking into the itchy guy's problems, who doesn't even know how to link a character ;-) . I really don't want to bug you and appreciate your effort to help!
  • Unknown
    I'll take a look right now.
  • Unknown
    Ok, I see what the issue is with the one character and it is something that I have seen in other reports here on the forums (I'll check if it is in the new tracker post and if not I will add it), but this appears to be because of the accented character you have in the name. This seems to cause some odd things to happen with the linking system. I corrected this for you and will explain how I fixed it to provide some insight.

This issue is caused when accented characters are included in NPC names. In this instance we have a character with a full name of Barón Don Esteban Terciero Ontiveros de Gallegos del Altamira. This caused the system to not be able to generate the standard URL for the character (which is normally their name) and instead gave it a numerical code of 798584 (you can see this in the address bar on the character page). In your link (and any time you insert a link to this character) you will notice it forms with a :null right after the opening bracket. If you remove the word null and replace it with the numerical code seen in the address bar for the character it will make a correct link to the page. This, of course, will be getting looked into (and as I mentioned I recall seeing some posts on here where others had reported this problem with accented characters).

Now, moving on to the other problems with the formatting. The problem here is actually with Textile (which should no longer be an issue once we have natural editing in place which is why I brought that up before). The formatting in textile is not a fan of carriage returns. Since your letters are written as letters with a greeting, body, and signature all spaced out, this causes the textile formatting to break. To correct this while Textile is still in place you would need to make each chunk italic on its own which I have done on the post for you so you can see a good example of what I mean by simply editing the post and looking at the formatting. Until the natural editing comes out you will likely want to keep this in mind.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I hope people don't let this thread die.
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• Praesi
    Praesi
    Perfect! Thx for helping out.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I had a good hour long chat with Alex today, and will be back giving my feedback.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    That is great news for both of you and for all of us as well. Well done, KVP and Alex!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Excellent news indeed! Hopefully those above Alex will also listen to the feedback that you gave regarding delivering on their commitments and not ignoring the community.
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions