Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Killervp, that's not the issue that I am complaining about. I am complaining about the continued assumption that it's fine to have official notifications (like the one that Mae mentioned) only coming across Twitter or Facebook and not getting communicated in the actual forums. You know, the communication tool actually connected to the product, and where the community actually discusses stuff related to the product...
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Well, Bel,

* The help videos have been broken since the Reforge. Now they aren't. It also added a potential new community of users by going to Youtube.
    * The name generator has begun to be implemented, and it will be updated again soon, so that's an improvement.
    * Haste is a big one...while it may be going away, once that's done the focus can be shifted to other projects.
    * File storage improvements are continuing, and we will likely see those within the next few months (ideally).

And this is most important and relevant, the forums are being reconsidered. The way they work now, most of the information is difficult to sift through unless it's on the front page, tagging and search are a bit of a mess, and many of the threads are entirely irrelevant, especially the ones from Preforge. A new forum will (hopefully) be better integrated and designed, and allow for community subforums and likely (push) notifications.

IMO, that's why the forums aren't typically being used to state much, save for by request or occasional check-in update; besides the fact that they aren't well-designed for it, there aren't nearly as many people active on them -- not that we can even see who's online or watching, which is another issue with the existing forums. At least with Twitter and Facebook (and now potentially Youtube), people can receive notifications more directly, because that's what the programs and software allow.

I do agree that it's inconvenient to have to go off-site for most progress and "what's going on" info, that's just what might work better for now. I also agree that it would be nice to have reliable regular (weekly) update posts, but I'm just glad that we know things are being worked on, especially things that are being checked off the list. And now more than before, they are tangible, visible updates, even if they're not necessarily the ones some people may be looking for.

Finally, we all must admit, we lost a lot of people from Reforge outcry, and we need to rebuild our numbers, maybe even draw back some of those older users once they see the site meeting goals and updating. Hopefully this will begin to have some positive impact.

_~Mae_
    Post edited by Maesenko on

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @Mae- The problem for me, and many others, and where they lost folks, is that they still have produced very few actual results on the "new" things that they promised to deliver 2 years ago now. On top of that, they continue to either ignore or give "we will get to it" to help tickets- many about legitimate issues.
    There are 60 tickets since the June 16th "We will just close all tickets". Only 4 tickets have any response, and only one is resolved. That is almost 2 months ago.

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Its kinda foreboding.

This is the kind of communication (sans details) I would get from people running projects that were struggling.

I'm all for hope and optimism, and I appreciate DreadGazebo's efforts, but if I was critical eye'ing this impartially...I would start throwing warning flags to my boss.

Like I've said before, I'm staying, partially so I can support them. And let them know.

Example...we were told upthread;

@schwing Jun 21st 2015
    Hey everyone!
    Sorry I've been away for a bit but I've been hard at work on the file storage locker and natural editing and they're getting so close!
    Looking at the end of this week for a push of the storage locker and end of next for the natural editing(fingers crossed, it is a little tricky).@

They don't owe us updates, and keeping coms flowing is hard when there may be difficulties or no good news, but its important to manage customer expectations.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    This is an important page.
    It is right that many of us keep up our interest here.
    It is true to say that communication could be better but it has at least improved since THE GREAT WALL OF SILENCE.
    I look forward to further improvements and am hopeful these can be implemented relatively smoothly,
    but......regardless of all this.....even with the way things are at the moment, my Role Playing Life is much enriched by Obsidian Portal and will continue to be so long as the platform exists.

Please have a read of Alex Redeye's "review":https://da-requiem.obsidianportal.com/posts/obsidian-portal-review and remember what wealth we have.

Surely, it can ONLY get better......

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• bluesguy
    bluesguy
    bq. And this is most important and relevant, the forums are being reconsidered. The way they work now, most of the information is difficult to sift through unless it’s on the front page, tagging and search are a bit of a mess, and many of the threads are entirely irrelevant, especially the ones from Preforge. A new forum will (hopefully) be better integrated and designed, and allow for community subforums and likely (push) notifications.

Most of these problems have to do with the 'age' of this forum software. There are other forum software options which provide better search, integration and tagging capability.

I would suggest that you be very careful in deciding which threads are not relevant. Many of the older threads do have information on how to setup and format an OP site using CSS.

bq. IMO, that’s why the forums aren’t typically being used to state much, save for by request or occasional check-in update; besides the fact that they aren’t well-designed for it, there aren’t nearly as many people active on them — not that we can even see who’s online or watching, which is another issue with the existing forums. At least with Twitter and Facebook (and now potentially Youtube), people can receive notifications more directly, because that’s what the programs and software allow.

I use Facebook almost exclusively for friends/family stuff. I try hard not to mix in things like OP because that would make it even more 'noisy'.

I have a Twitter account which I set up many years ago. I rarely look at it.

When I want information I want to go to a specific site to get that information. I don't want to have to sort thru a noisy newsfeed.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Hey guys, going to chime in here today, going to choose my words wisely. Please expect an update from me later on today.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Thanks Jerry, you still have good mojo with me.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Good points twiggy...
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I agree with Twiggy- I literally owe my gaming to OP, and that is why I have not left, and still try and push it publicly.
    Great to hear from you again Jerry- happy that you are still involved!

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    @Blues

I hope I didn't put across the thought that I believe all of the Preforge threads weren't relevant; the CSS ones are especially still useful, and I'm sure there are others. I mostly meant the old LFG, random complaints, and time-sensitive threads. There's just many years of threads that went nowhere, or are buried so deep in the forum history that I can't see them being all worth keeping.

Also, I'm with you when it comes to FB&T, and I do the same with site news. Unfortunately, the way society works now is to just throw news up on social media and hope/assume people are looking.
    Post edited by Maesenko on

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Bortas
    Bortas
    No offense, but here we are a day later with nothing. Very hard to rebuild trust when such a simple promise is not kept. You'd have been better not making the promise.

-bort
    "Morwindl":https:morwindl.obsidianportal.com
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Hey now Bortas, I never said promise! Secondly, I opted to carefully construct a statement, because the line I'm walking right now is a very precarious one. Those things take time, and I do work 10 hour days at a day job that I can rarely pull myself from to peruse our forums, toss in family and other obligations and my post wasn't made on time. Sorry about that. I made the initial post because I was feeling very passionately and I basically wanted to let you guys know that I was here. Absorbing the feedback. I always am, but I rarely chime in.

So, speaking of our forums, and to touch on the social media disdain, I understand where you guys are coming from. These channels are easy to broadcast to, and while we have a lot of fans and community there, there's not a lot of overlap here for the official forums. I'd really like to change that. For the past 6 months I've been pushing for a forum upgrade here so that our forums are less...well...awful, and reminiscent of something from 10 years ago. So far, development efforts have been elsewhere though. Currently file storage and elvent name generators are being worked on. I will make better efforts in the future, regardless of the state of the forums.

Do know that I'm in your corner, I'm pushing for all the things you're pushing for. Don't ever forget that I'm one of you guys too.
    Post edited by DreadGazebo on
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks Jerry,

By the way, "chiming in" for myself, I don't do TWITTER and like to keep FACEBOOK for social interaction outside of gaming and I therefore support the NEED for an improvement on these forums, and a prioritization in terms of this being the main platform for OP communication. However, I totally "get" the expansion into the aforementioned social media and have nothing against that. The New Video Tutorials are good. Perhaps a permanent link to the YouTube site from the OP Blog or something would be a good idea.

Still using Obsidian Portal effectively and always willing to accept improvements,
    Your ardent follower,

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Jerry,

Thanks for the update. I kinda figured that you (like most of us) have a lot on your plate.

Is there anything we the community can do to help with any of this? I'm no programmer or developer, but if there were some way I can help I'd gladly do so.

For myself, I'm glad to know that things are progressing with file storage (excellent!) and an elven name generator.

Is there any kind of timeline on when these are expected to be complete?
    Do we know what the next improvements/upgrades will be?
    Would community requests be considered for which tasks should be next on the improvements list?

Thank you for being in our corner.

-UTM

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    *Another update I'm now cleared to give:* I should have you guys know that Travis will be departing from Obsidian Portal by the end of the month if not sooner, we are actively looking to recruit someone to fill his place. I have had people reach out to me already and I have passed them on to the Kaleidoscope team.

Also please know that Travis will be making his own post/statement in the future explaining things, I don't want to speak for him but I am cleared to give you guys that info now. Many support tickets Travis was unable to respond to are pending on development resources to fix, please know that he's not just ignoring any of you. He's been genuinely been busting his butt for some time now to try and get us the fixes we need for the site. We will get the resources, I promise that, as soon as I have a time table for you guys - I will give it to you. ASAP.
    Post edited by DreadGazebo on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks Jerry! You have been great throughout, and I know that you are frustrated as well.
    OP is going to be my home for as long as it is around, as it is still the best tool for what I need.
    It just has been a rather frustrating couple of years with the lack of communication, and very (to be kind) spotty follow through on developments that were promised through the Kickstarter.
    Still a fan, still using the site often, just hoping that help tickets are taken care of in a timely manner, and the promised updates from the Kickstarter are seen soon.

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Somebody needs to post that explanation on the help forum...there are a lot of angry people over there that feel ignored.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Since I don't have the ability to sticky forum posts... figured I'd drop by and toss this out there.

Time to vote for shirts!

"http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4018:http"://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4018
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Ladies & Gents, it is with a heavy heart that I must inform you that I am no longer part of the Obsidian Portal team. It's been a great 5 years and I want to thank you all from the bottom of my being for sticking with me, and us, throughout all the good and the bad. If you'd like to keep in touch, feel free to hit me up on "twitter":http://twitter.com/dreadgazeebo, "facebook":https://www.facebook.com/DreadGazebo, or stop by "the blog":http://dreadgazebo.net/ or one of my "live streams":http://beam.pro/dreadgazeebo sometime. You can also drop me a line whenever at [email protected]

I'll still be around these parts, but just as your average user moving forward.

Didn't really know where else to put this message, but I think the largest number of folks who care the most are in this thread anyway, I just don't want you guys to think I'm trying to de-rail the conversation.

Until next time!
  • Abersade
    Abersade
    Oh dear.

Edit: I really should say more. Jerry, thanks for doing what you could with what you had.
    Post edited by Abersade on

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Thanks for your long-standing work and efforts to do what you could (communication-wise) within the limits you were given. Enjoy the additional freedom while you can...
  • Unknown
    Hey everyone, may I please direct your attention to "this thread":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=4019&page=1 for some additional details and updates on the Community Management. Thanks very much.

--
    Alex
    Community Manager
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I am sad.

I will be joining your FB and Twitter, as you have always seemed a straight up person. Shame to have you go...
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Congratz Alex. I have enjoyed your work helping others with coding etc.

On a separate note (after reading the other thread), I never felt Jerry was rude in any fashion.
  • Unknown
    Ahh, don't get the wrong impression Skid, I don't think that is what was meant by that in any way. Jerry put in a lot of work, effort, and time (read years) with OP and has been the beacon of insight around here for some time. It is more the way things have generally gone recently, and leaps and bounds are being done to sure this ship up in regards to communication and working through outstanding issues (my prime focus right now).
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Sounds good. It always hard to read context from the internet. Initially sounded like they were "shocked" and heads rolled.
    Post edited by SkidAce on
  • Unknown
    Gotcha, reading it back again I can see how you would get that for sure.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    If anyone has further questions, please feel free to email me.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @DreadGazebo- Jerry, you were always the shining light for this site. I appreciated your professionalism, even when we disagreed. Please let us know where you land, as there are many here that are big fans!

Just trying to help out.

This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions