Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for communicating with us.

I'm with SkidAce. Please, just keep talking with us and I'll joyously sing your praises across the Aether.

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Sergeant Ahtarms thanks you. I have a penchant for clever names, and that one really clicked with the players. Some...not so much....(grin).

Thanks Schwing.
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    I have a few comments:

1. Excellent job improving the communication (quality, frequency, timeliness)

2. Agile development is being used for OP development is very good news. I have been doing software for 30 years. I have been a PM/Scrum Master for long time and I can say that when Agile is done right it is the best way to develop applications like this one.

3. Small incremental releases would be a great value to me. For instance if the name generator for humans and dwarves is ready for beta testing then please release it for us to use. Give us a good way to provide feedback - sticky thread or specific bug report type. When the beta testing is done and the next racial name generator is ready release that one for beta testing.

4. A road map for the stretch goals with a timeline would be good. Make it something simple. Details for near term items and vague for things farther away. For instance:

- Name Generator: New racial name generator to be released every 4 to 6 weeks for beta testing. We are planning on implementing {list of races} name generators. Expect the name generator feature to be completed by Q4 2015.

- Natural Editing: Minimal feature set for beta testing (provide list of minimal feature set) will be ready Q4 2015. We expect to be completed by Q2 2016.

5. Bug trend charts would be very useful. Show us how many bugs have been found and closed over time and how many are open.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    It's all very promising so far.

I am with almost everybody else in saying that the most important thing is the good communication we are now getting. No matter what hiccups or technical issues, I can handle it a lot better with the transparent and informative messaging coming from schwing, etc.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Bortas
    Bortas
    Twigs nailed it: I can deal with all the issues, as long as I'm hearing from you about it!

-bort
    "Morwindl":https://morwindl.obsidianportal.com - first and only campaign I've DM'd (first experience with CSS)
    "Tales of...":https://talesof.obsidianportal.com - campaign I'm helping a friend design the layout for
  • Unknown
    @killervp - Oh, agreed, I probably should have put that in the post (I just didn't since I took it for a granted facet). All in all, I know that is doable as well since I have done it (moved a forum from one platform to another without losing my content). As you pointed out, it would be a huge loss to have many of these posts disappear to the aether.
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    I second the points made by Bluesguy, in case that matters.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I again ask- @schwing, who are you? Tell us about yourself. I mean, outside of being the new senior developer, and calling yourself "schwing"
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Oh, and still having 502 errors.... getting to be a while with no fix.

Just trying to help out.

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd
    Indeed. They are making it impossible to use the site at all. I hope there is a fix for them and the interminably slow load times soon.

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• Belrathius
    Belrathius
    Going on a week now...
  • Unknown
    Just saw the maintenance notice, I am hoping that is a good sign.
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Oh please tell me we won't be down all weekend... My first campaign session is Sunday! :-)

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• schwing
    schwing
    Hey party people, We're back up!

Just had to install some updates and restart the servers so we were down for a few minutes. We'll make sure there is more time between the maintenance notice and the actual downtime next time.

UselessTriviaMan, You'll be happy to know that you and everyone else now have a sweet new name generator in the character edit section underneath the name! Just in time for your weekend session :-)

This is still being developed for better grammar structures and races but let me know what you guys and gals think. I'm very interested to hear how we can improve this.

Also, after config, updates, and a restart the new server seems to be doing really well and there aren't any more errors expected. It's still very early and we're still monitoring performance but so far so good.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    Brilliant, time to go fiddle with the name generator.

*EDIT:* Ok, I have fiddled with it already (it is a micro update so far and not the full generator, so didn't take too long). From what I am seeing so far it is pretty decent. Now one consideration I would potentially make for the long term with the generator would be to eventually have a "Generic" pool and then additional game line pools. I'll give an example:

Presently, for me, the name generator is not actually very handy. That has to do with the Campaigns I am running/working on. One is Dragon Age, which has a solid lore and some specifics of naming conventions in the world. Much of what the generator produces presently would not be of much benefit to me. My other game is a Vampire: The Masquerade one that would need more real world conventions thrown at the names.

Granted, this is just me, I can see what is already present being useful to a number of Campaigns on the site. But as the generator grows it can have a lot of potential to it. My suggestion would be to approach a "Generic" bucket first, adding the supplement based generations for later on (and probably based on number of Campaigns on this site for the system - popularity would kind of have to rule the day here). The "Generic" bucket could eventually be setup to have some minor options to it, like a list of generic races for fantasy (what you have going now) and maybe a couple other generic like categories such as "Modern" or "Alien" as examples.

Either way, great work, and so far things do indeed seem to be running smoothly - much faster load times and no errors yet. Keep up the great work, nice to see the life breathing back into this place again.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • schwing
    schwing
    alex_redeye, I definitely agree and that's the path we will be taking.

Trying to knock out the ones that will have the biggest impact for users first. The long term goal is making it apply to all RPGs.

Also, if any of our tech savvy members are interested in seeing how we're generating these and would like to help build out the other races I'm happy to share info on all that. Just add me as a friend and message me from within the app.
  • schwing
    schwing
    Hey killervp and the others who have asked, my name is Adam and I'm the Lead Dev of OP(as you probably already know)

What you might not know is that I'm from Austin, Texas and just recently moved out to Venice California about 3 months ago. So if any of you are in the area message me and maybe we can get some local hangouts going on!

As for my experience with tabletop gaming, I played D&D quite a bit with a few close friends in middle school and freshman year of high school but those friends were army kids and unfortunately all moved around the same time so I haven't played really any rpgs since (I still provide Wizards of the Coast with a ton of money due to my MTG habit!)

If any campaigns are looking for players and have the patience of the Dalai Lama maybe we can get something going ;)

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you guys have about either myself, OP, or really anything
    Post edited by schwing on
  • Unknown
    I'd be happy to help contribute, and your Friend Request is sent.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    For gosh sakes, now the delete and backspace buttons are disabled on every wiki page!!!

Just trying to help out.

• adamn
    adamn
    Hey killervp, thanks for pointing that out early on.

It was an issue due to me including a javascript script meant for testing. I just redeployed with the fix. Can you let me know if the issues are still there?
    Post edited by adamn on
  • UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan
    Looks good for me (the delete button, at least.).

Thanks for being quick, and thanks for the awesomeness!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Both work- thanks for the quick fix!

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    @adamn, I'm gathering from your post that you're with schwing as part of the new Dev team?

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• schwing
    schwing
    Hey sorry I am adamn and schwing. Schwing is my main account and adamn is my test account.

Sorry for any confusion!
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    Hi Schwing - good work on the name generator.

I make extensive use of random NPC generators for my games both in play and for inspiration when writing scenarios: I have comprehensive name lists for Latin, 'olde worlde' Anglo-Saxon and Celtic names. Also my name generator includes a random trait generation as well (e.g. suspicious, late for a meeting, looking after children, mono-brow, limp etc.)

Are you guys interested in any of this? You are most welcome to take a look and use any or all of it if you think it useful (it should be very simple to incorporate into your exiting code)

Cheers

Nick
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Just popping in with a quick suggestion for a future update. I would like a "dark theme" if possible for the main pages, forums, etc. It's much easier on the eyes for some (like myself), and I find it's more battery-effecient.

_~Mae_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Random Name Generator is cool!

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    For those of you that had open help tickets, check your help folder. Seems that they closed many help issues that were never resolved. I myself reopened 5 of mine.

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Additional note- they are adding all of my tickets to the next dev meeting, so get yours in there as well!!

Just trying to help out.

• schwing
    schwing
    Hey everyone!

Sorry I've been away for a bit but I've been hard at work on the file storage locker and natural editing and they're getting so close! Looking at the end of this week for a push of the storage locker and end of next for the natural editing(fingers crossed, it is a little tricky)

Also, as far as new names gens go, we have a couple badasses from the community, alex_redeye and NikMak, who have offered to help get some more together for everyone. So big shout out to those guys!

Lastly, we're also vetting new forum and ticketing platforms to make your lives easier as well as Jerry and Travis'.

How is everything else working out for everyone?
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions