Hello from Conn

fvasque
edited December 2008 in Player Lounge

Comments

• fvasque
    Actually i just moved here from Arizona. and since im new here i have pretty much no friends except my wifes family :( after telling her about my old Dungeons and Dragons games ive played in she decided she wanted to play and bought all the 4e books...so here i am trying to DM for the first time ever for my wife, my cousin, and my next door neighbor...none of whom have ever played before..Im pretty bad with ideas when it comes to games..im more of a strategic player...the whole story telling and world creation is tough on a guy better off suited to playing..but luckily i found this amazing site...Its already helped alot and now when i have some random idea..i got somewhere to put it!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    fvasque,

If you're willing to look at the Forgotten Realms setting, I recommend looking into the RPGA's Living Forgotten Realms campaign which launched in August of this year. It uses the 4th edition rules, and it contains bunches of modules you can download and run at home (or at game shops or at conventions or whatever).

I mention this because you sound like your biggest problem is not with adjudicating rules, but in coming up with a story. Having pre-fab material will help with that and get everybody used to the gaming system until you can get your own story worked out.
  • stumblewyk
    stumblewyk
    Yup. Gotta second FemmeLegion on that. Use pre-generated stuff for your content. You handle the rules, and let someone else provide the content until you feel confident writing a story from scratch.

I'm a world-building/story-oriented DM first, and a rules guy second, so I tend to work from the opposite angle, but I started exactly where you are. I bought every campaign setting I could get my hands on for years back in the AD&D 2e days and it worked wonders for me.