Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Hulksmash
    Hulksmash
    I left OP over 8 months ago, a friend said one of the developers finally commented on the site, I come here and find this:

"DreadGazebo - 1 day ago - [Reserved]"

I also find that there has been no movement in a year on the KS promises which Killervp illustrated above - although killer you forgot to mention in 3- File Storage Locker: The free limit will climb to 250MB and the Ascendant limit will rise to 10GB. Delivered. They failed to deliver the ability to easily embed pdf's and mp3's something that I was looking forward to using the site for.

I am not super hip to internet lingo but DreadGazebo's response looks like it is the equivalent to bugger off to me....

I would never pay these guys a nickel based on that response alone much less the disrespect they have shown to their own users through the refusal to do anything to address any major issues or provide any answers.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I took his response as "not enough time to answer, let me hold a spot here".

I am of course an optimistic realist, and text on the internet carries the perceptions we bring with us.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I like your optimism, SkidAce, and will go along with your hope that the Dreadgazebo response means: "not enough time to answer, let me hold a spot here" and look forward to a near future elaboration. However, another possible meaning could be: "I'd like to say something but have been advised against it."

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Bortas
    Bortas
    2 days is quite a while, though. Through the weekend makes sense as a reasonable maximum.

Hulk: I hear your frustration. After leaving OP, have you found another service you love?

-bort
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    To answer some rumors and questions-
    No, I have no inside line to Micah and/or Jerry. I was offered a moderator position last year, accepted, and nothing came of it. Same with a position of Emissary, nothing came of it.
    No, I am not leaving OP. It is by far the best site for running a worldwide campaign- and we stretch from the US to Australia, with some guests coming in from Canada, the UK, and others. I am only upset at the lack of communication- not the site.
    I am not leading a rebellion, trying to give OP a bad name, or anything like that. I am just frustrated that the Reforge was never completed, and some help tickets are over a year old with no movement.
    So, for those of you that have reached out and asked, and those of you that considered it- there you go.
    OP is still the best at what it does, and it really works for me. I just want it to work even better.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Over 300 Fans, and Looking for More!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I feel very much the same as KVP

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I agree with @killervp word for word.

Love it here, staying here, hoping for more communication.
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    Agreed with killervp's stance. It's best to resolve this civilly.
  • Hulksmash
    Hulksmash
    Bortas,

I checked out a number of sites like epic words, scabbard and a page creator called wix but they are all steps down in one way or another. I was looking forward to doing a super-hero game that I'd be able to use mp3 clips in the logs but it looks like the portal won't be ready for that any time soon.
  • cgregory
    cgregory
    @Hulksmash ,

Are you looking to add MP3 clip like I did on my intro page of My shadowrun campaign?

https://deusex.obsidianportal.com

@ Ruhar,

In case you are interested, putting the following in your custom css would change the color of you of those orange coloured links below your dashboard as well as every other link on your site to what ever color you want.

a {color:#023a56 !important}

They are among us!

XCom: Defiance - Campaign of the Month November 2016

• NikMak
    NikMak
    ok, 6 days and still no comment from DreadGazebo ; Im starting to think Hulksmash may have had the correct interpretation after all!
  • KristinaHeck
    KristinaHeck
    Deleted comment. Mistakenly posted while still signed into my wife's account. - Ryan
    Post edited by KristinaHeck on
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    All I meant to say above is that this is very disappointing.
  • MdBLimited
    MdBLimited
    I would suspect they are consulting with lawyers regarding their legal standing/obligation to return Kickstarter funds, which could be a substantial amount of money and a cost-involved process they would probably prefer to avoid.

Just a thought.
    Post edited by MdBLimited on
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    That is a fair assessment.
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    @killervp I agree with your comments. The site works for me. I just wish they would communicate with us.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Another example: there are 147 help tickets still open since the Reforge. In the year previous to the Reforge there are....0.

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Travis seems active again for the moment.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Travis is not the issue! I ask that all of you that want answers from Micah and Jerry tweet at them, and hit them on the facebook page.
    I love this site, but I need to know if there is a future, and if there is, what it holds.

Just trying to help out.

• Travis19
    Bear with us a little longer, guys. We'll have some news soon (don't know exactly when just yet, but soon).
  • Bortas
    Bortas
    Counting on you, Travis! We love what we have, but want to know this isn't stagnate.

-bort
    "Morwindl":http://morwindl.obsidianportal.com/
  • Belrathius
    Belrathius
    No offense Travis, as your comment is appreciated, but KillerVP is right. Micah and Jerry should have stepped up MUCH sooner to communicate. I understand that they have jobs and such, but they also made commitments for financial gain (kickstarter) which they have not upheld and have not even tried to work with the community that supported them. Like KillerVP, I'm not leaving, but that is only because nothing better exists. If something comes up that does work better, you can be sure that I am taking my ascendant business elsewhere, as I'm sure many others would do. The utter lack of customer service is deplorable and frankly will be the cause of the site eventually going under.

- Tom

"Experiments in Space":https://gurpsspace.obsidianportal.com/
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Looking forward to it Travis- Hope it is at least before the end of the month.

Just trying to help out.

• Travis19
    That is the timeline I'd expect, yes.
  • Ruhar
    Ruhar
    @cgregory Thanks for the code. I will add it. Maybe then I won't have to grit my teeth whenever I logon.

@Travis19 I'm sorry, but "we'll have news soon" has been used before which resulted in no news. Belrathius is right, Micah and Jerry are the ones who need to step up.

I watched the Kickstarter and considered doing it, but there were other Kickstarters I was interested, I had limited funds, and OP had surpassed their goal so I knew they were ok. I can't tell you how many times I have counted my blessings that I didn't flush away that money. Just before my membership was ready to renew I started looking around for other options. I was disappointed to not find anything, not even close to this site. So I will continue, but only the free membership. At least I can watch the site and know if any changes occur that would make me want to support it financially.

So I guess we wait and see, but I'm not holding my breath. I like to breathe and can't hold it that long. ;-)
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I'm not going anywhere. I'm a patient man, and I have plenty of other things to keep my focus in the mean time. While I am irked by the recent terrible lack of communication (the blog hasn't even updated in over a month, longer if you only look for Haste), I think I have some idea of the position they find themselves in (if it's anything like some of my own past personal experiences).

I wouldn't call myself their champion, nor devil's advocate, but I would like to think that I try to see both sides. I get the frustration, there are aspects of the reforge that I am still waiting on (the map tools and name generator in particular (and IIRC in one Haste Micah said it was nearly done...perhaps release what you have to start?))

For as far as I can see, this is still a great site. It's been going for nearly nine years now, and in the three years before the Reforge, it won several awards. Now, it is a new entity, it has a legacy, and while many do not feel it is living up to that legacy, I for one will still stay and watch it hopefully grow into what it was meant to. I know that there are those among us who would gladly help build the site, work the code. Many of them already do it to some degree via the CSS. I still try to recruit new people, as that is one way I can help improve the site. We still see new users appear and occasionally they post welcome messages in the forums.

So the site itself is not dead, but it does feel as though it has lingered for some time. I don't know if the passion is gone, but it does feel as though it has declined. It seems that it feels like a great behemoth, some thing which must be taken on all at once. But that isn't how it has to be. I know you guys want everything to be perfect, but just do one thing at a time. Release what you have for the name generator, or add some map icons, or new backgrounds. Finally send that response about the Emissary program. Put up that post about CotY 2014. If you need help, post up a request for volunteers, or if you can swing it hire someone from the community. Just tackle the smaller issues to relieve some of the system strain. It will go a long way to making things better for everyone.

_~Mae_
    _Immortal Backer_

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Bortas
    Bortas
    Man it doesn't even have to be a paid position, imagine the resumes of the volunteers if they simply offered a free ascended as compensation...

-bort
    "Morwindl":http://morwindl.obsidianportal.com
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    What I was trying to say @killervp, was more along the lines of "Hurray!"

Not implying any ill will towards him.
  • Travis19
    Skid-- I didn't read it that way, for the record. :)
  • Travis19
    Uh, clarification, since I realize THAT could be read two ways also.

I mean I didn't read your original post as implying ill will.

Language, right? Heh.
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions