Split the Party? You Wanna Do What!?

GuyKilmore
GuyKilmore
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
As am GM, and at times, a Player, I have noticed that people have an aversion to splitting the party. I can sometimes see why, as I noticed with games like Pathfinder, if the game pushes people towards more specialized characters the odds of fatality increase. Also, you have the dreaded dead time where other people are watching stuff unfold and if you can't keep enthralled with what is going on, they get bored. Now, I am currently running a game on the FATE system and it lends itself to easier splitting. I have noticed my players like some of the individual focus it brings together characters and a chance to develop a connection to the running issue in the scenario. They seem to enjoy when everyone gets together they have the laundry list of problems that they have to balance out to deal with. With all that said, there is still the dead time when players are waiting for their turn. So, do other players split the party? Do they just go with the flow, or contort themselves not to? If you are a party splitter (GM/Player) how do you approach it? How do you balance the whole thing and keep boredom at bay? What systems lend themselves to doing something like this, is it a general inflexibility of game systems, or perhaps is an inflexibility in the mindset of players/gms?

I know when I do split the party, I try to make the divisions divide at dynamic points. I also allow table talk with other players to help the current one think of methods to solve the problem, when appropriate. I also try to make the narration and events amusing as possible.

"Dresden Files: Twin Cities":https://dresden-files-twin-cities.obsidianportal.com/

Comments

• Adoraith
    Adoraith
    I have run into this issue a number of times. Back in the early days of Shadowrun Decking (essentially hacking) was an adventure in and of itself until they streamlined the rules with later editions. I have had a number of D&D campaigns where one of the players for one reason or another turned on the party which required special attention. I have also run parallel good and evil groups on different nights that worked against one another. I could go on but I have tried a number of methods of handling the situation.

1) Have separate nights for the two groups. This doesn't always work with everyone's schedule but its the ideal situation.
    2) Appoint a co-GM to handle encounters that are not plot heavy. This can get a little tougher unless you have a really good player who wont meta-game.
    3) Have something else to do while you are meeting with the other group. I have a horde of old board games like Conquest and Empire, Axis and Allies, Descent, or Civilization that my players can pull out when there will be a long delay. A console system is also really good for this.

There is no easy answer to downtime like this and I find that its far more than twice the work for the GM.

"Adoraith: Echoes of Epirus":https://adoraith-echoes-of-epirus.obsidianportal.com/
  • GuyKilmore
    GuyKilmore
    I had a thought when driving home this afternoon that kind of goes along with point number 2. In Fate, hiding the mechanics of stuff isn't as important I am finding. I am wondering if having the players not in the situation handle the NPCs for conflict. Like if the PC is getting attacked by a pack of biker gang werewolves, the uninvolved PCs can roll and make combat decisions for the werewolves. Hmm.....

Those are two other valid methods, even though as I get older 1 is harder to do. I think the trick for number 3 is having something that isn't distracting and people can slip in and out of.

"Dresden Files: Twin Cities":https://dresden-files-twin-cities.obsidianportal.com/