Hi! Helping hand for a newbie? =D

PapaRik
PapaRik
edited July 2014 in Player Lounge
Hello everyone! My name is PapaRik, or RikazeMA, or Rikaze, or Rik, or Rika, and sometimes just my plain ol' name for people I play with and who get to know me. =)

I'm new to Obsidian Portal, currently participating in a campaign and was introduced to the site and its tools as a whole by the group I'm currently playing with.

Now, I have a problem. See, the group I'm playing with, we're playing Exalted 2.5e. I'm familiar with White Wolf, and have both played and ST'd WoD before, but hadn't played Exalted before now...

My problem? I'm absolutely hooked on it. I've fallen totally and utterly in love with the game and setting, and, you know... One game just isn't enough. I need another. But I've had trouble finding any on this website or otherwise.

I've 15 years in tabletop games in various roles, GM, DM, Storyteller, player, and even occasionally just fascinated observer. I'm looking most likely for an Online game; Where I live, it's hard enough to find ANYONE who plays tabletop, as for a long time here it still fell under the whole "Dungeons and Dragons groups are Satanic Cults!" visage from back in the 70's and 80's. Yes, that stigma still exists to an oddly staggering degree where I live, and it's made finding games really difficult. It's troublesome for me, because I'm too young to remember where that particular stigma towards Tabletop Players comes from.

What I'm looking for specifically - A once-a-week group, though more than once a week is certainly welcome, using the Exalted system and the Creation/Vanilla setting. Using the other realms, Malfeas, Yu Shan, what have you, doesn't bother me. I don't have a strong enough grasp on the system itself yet to do anything like Exalted Modern or other off-shoots of the game as published by White Wolf; There's still a LOT I'm wrapping my head around with standard Exalted right now.

I'm looking for an online group, not a RL one; I know enough Tabletop players around here to throw a group together, I've just been unable to generate interest in the game as most of the folks I know are wrapped up in two or three other games at a time, and usually DnD or another off-shoot of DnD D20. Plus, I seem to be the only person I know around here who's any experience in Exalted at all, and I've not nearly enough understanding of the setting yet to try ST'ing a game myself.

I'm not looking for a particular flavor; Homebrew and such doesn't bother me, as I've little or no frame of reference for what's good and what isn't within Exalted, and I'm fairly adaptable to any style of game that gets played, whether it's Diplomacy, Intrigue and Plotting, or Combat, Glory and Conquest, I've my ways of playing all flavors of games, though some are certainly stronger than others.

I'm not looking for Play-by-Post. I've never had good experience with that, and frankly, posting one move at a time is nothing short of infuriating for me; I feel like it takes WAY too long to get even a single dialogue done, forget about combat or the need for two characters to have a long discussion/argument/what-have-you.

I'm looking for a group that doesn't mind a little hand-holding and explanation-giving, as I'm still new with the setting and the particulars of the system when it comes to Exalted. Before my other campaign, it'd also been maybe 5-8 years since my last run at a White Wolf game at all, so I'm pretty rusty on the mechanics side of things, as well as just entirely inexperienced with certain parts of the system and setting altogether.

Hope some of you can maybe help me find an Online game of Exalted! I like this site, it's a wonderful Tabletop tool and I intend to use it the next time I run a campaign, RL or otherwise. I look forward to making use of the tools and running some awesome games with those tools and the streamlining they offer towards the logistics of running a tabletop. In the meantime, let's see if I can't find another Online Exalted game! =D

Nice to meet ya'all, and thanks for your help!

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Welcome to the portal. I suggest you try "Looking For Players":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1527&page=1 . This has links to a number of suggestions, including pen and paper games. I have found players for my game at pen and paper myself.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi PapaRik

I play around a table in Scotland but I wish you well in setting up and would also like to welcome you to Obsidian Portal. Hope you find what you are looking for here, and more...

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• PapaRik
    PapaRik
    Thanks for the help. Honestly, I'm still having to dig through a few hundred posts to find maybe one that's relevant to me right now... There just don't seem to be many if any Exalted groups running. =(

[EDIT:] Matter of fact, checking Pen & Paper, it says there aren't -any- games at all within 50 miles of me apparently, not just Exalted... =(((

[EDIT2:] According to PnP, the closest game to me is 70 miles away for IRL, and it's DnD 3.5e... Can't find a single online game of Exalted either.

[EDIT3:] On to RPG Game Find, and already done looking; Only two hosts, Pathfinder and CoC, and even then, no players for Exalted still... Let's see what's next on the list...

[EDIT4:] RPGNet doesn't have an ad for any online campaign posted within the last six months, and no ads for anything in my area either... Moving on.

[EDIT5:] That was fast. Enworld I can't even access and I've already tried Meetup with similar results.... Guess I'll just keep on waiting...
    Post edited by PapaRik on
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    If you can't find one on any of those sights, maybe try posting up an ad for one yourself - see if you get any takers. You never know how many people might be out there doing the same thing as you.
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • PapaRik
    PapaRik
    Been thinking that myself, working on setting up a good ad though. I can get to be pretty verbose sometimes, especially in writing. Any tips on writing a short and sweet ad?
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    For an ad there isn't any reason to explain your preferences, so just stick to one line each for:

# System
    # Setting
    # How you'd like to meet (online and scheduling info)
    # Whatever personal info you want to include (still newish to Exalted, preference to play or GM, etc...)

Add in a paragraph of compelling fluff/story to stir the imagination, and maybe a graphic to attract the eye.

If people have questions beyond that they will ask, which gets their foot in the door and can get discussion going.