Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• AshenHaze
    AshenHaze
    I haven't used obsidian portal in a while as I haven't' been running any games lately. I recently found a new gaming group and thought I would use Obsidian portal as my campaign tool. Then I saw the new site, and more particularly the new color scheme. There may be fixes for this I don't' know, but grey text on white backgrounds, white text on yellow are terrible. Yellow text on wiki links making me squint to look at things.

At this point I think I will use Google Drive for campaign management...
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    @AshenHaze- It depends if you're an ascendant user or not. If you are, there are CSS fixes for everything that we could get to you pretty quickly. Either way, you can change some of the default colors in the Settings -> Style tab. Try that and see if it helps. I still think Obsidian Portal is a bit easier to manage than Google Documents... but I do understand that it's been a big change, and can be pretty intimidating to look at. But we'll help you as best we can on the forum!

@SkidAce- Hmmmm... interesting theory. I'll have to test that out. Bit of a pain when I'm correcting the spelling of one word and now I'm spamming everyone in my campaign... but c'est la vie. That'll be on the lower rung of priorities to get looked at.

-Thorvaldr
    DM of "Tyellador":https://tyellador.obsidianportal.com/
  • Meagoinc
    Meagoinc
    @AshenHaze, I totally sympathize. Everything should be self-explanatory --and easy to fix-- _without_ members having to go Ascendant and mess with CSS.

There is no non-CSS fix for the grey on white, which has been an issue repeatedly brought up since the October debut of the Reforge. A "ticket":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/suggestions/923-the-obsidian-portal-color-scheme in the help forums (and "another":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/12653-text-color and "another":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/12703-colors ) is currently open for it, and you can add comments there.

As Thorvaldr noted, you should be able to customize the coloring of things without CSS and without an Ascendant membership, in the Settings tab. If, however, you feel like breaking out the CSS, there's "this thread":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3565 which gives some tips.

Also, Devs, you guys have worked SO HARD on this. OP is your baby-- heck, just the Reforge is your baby, the product of months and months of planning and hard work! But I just went through the FAQs and Tutorial videos to try to direct AshenHaze to one that would show the new workings of OP's Settings page... and in the "Getting Started section":http://help.obsidianportal.com/kb/getting-started there's *nothing* that relates to post-Reforge or has been updated since the Reforge, save "supported browsers."

The Reforge changes were confusing, but because our campaign relies so heavily on CSS (our fault!) I didn't even think to look at the Knowledge Base page (knowing that what I wanted to fix would be out of its purview). But the Knowledge Base page *NEEDS* to be updated for FAQs for _non-CSS, non-Ascendant_ users and for other normal questions! It is incredible that the out of date material (2010-2012) is the only visual resource, and that someone with a question has to go delving in the forums or the problem ticket pages. This is sort of outrageous. Are updated FAQs for the Post-Reforge OP on the table as a priority?

I have started a "ticket":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/suggestions/935-update-faq-knowledge-base-tutorial-pages-to-pertain-to-post-reforge-op for it, if anyone would like to lend their support.
  • schiann
    schiann
    Text colors have been fluctuating over the last few days. My custom CSS to control my blockquote color is not working. My campaign wraps up in five weeks. I'm ready to be done with Obsidian Portal.

I've tried to be part of the solution, providing solutions to simple problems in the trouble tickets to take some of the burden off Travis and the OP devs so they could focus on bigger problems, rather than just another whiny (paying) user. I've helped some people get their Wiki pages to work, get their images to upload, and create links to Items, but I can't solve the Reforge's bigger bugs and deleted features.

Using Obsidian Portal - especially pre-Reforge when it had awesome features like a dice roller, custom dates, and a campaign search that worked right - taught me how much an online system can help a game. I'm looking forward to transitioning my gaming groups to another platform that hopefully has the sense not to roll out a disaster like this Reforge.
    Post edited by schiann on
  • AshenHaze
    AshenHaze
    @Thorvaldr I do appreciate the prompt response, when I was an active user (which was for a significant period of time) I was an ascendant member, and if I start using the site again that is likely something that I would do. I dislike the idea that I need to pay to have my stuff be readable however, that seems like an unfortunate decision.

@Meagoinc, thankyou for you assistance! I'll have to check out those links. Perhaps if there is a somewhat easy fix I'll be willing to pursue that, one of the main advantages of obsidian portal to me was the convenience. I really appreciate your guidance as to where to look.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @schiann- We would hate to lose you! You have been a great help- I hope that you reconsider. I also have had color issues recently. I will tell you that nothing matches the Portal yet, and I really believe that they are starting to move in the right direction...
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    @AshenHaze: I would just like to mention that I am an Ascendant, and my campaign currently uses NO CSS, nor have I adjusted the width at all yet in the Settings. The only customization I have done thus far is changing the background and 4-color scheme (which IIRC neither require membership). Nothing came out looking worse for wear, once I got used to the new dimensions. Some pages are a bit longer than I would like and I have contemplated adjusting the width recently, but it's still not a problem for me yet. That said, I do understand the gripes about readability, and I know my first CSS will be color changes.

On another note, happy 4 month anniversary of the site relaunch!

_~Mae_
    "Whispers in Tamris":https://whispers-in-tamris.obsidianportal.com/

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    So, in my forum, I still have a thread stickied from when I stickied it pre-reforge. Which is good, I want it to be a sticky thread. But, is there a way post-reforge to sticky threads? 'cause I want to do that some more.

-Thorvaldr
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I can't find a way. I had the "Player Name" In character forums stickied, now I've added a new player and can't sticky his.

Awkward...
  • DamienMaster
    DamienMaster
    Hi OPs

Overall I'm pretty happy with the new OP, I think it just takes a while to get used to the new changes.
    my site (whilst admittedly very simple) was largely unaffected.

*I have four issues though...*

*1. Campaign Search*
    I agree wholeheartedly with the Campaign search function. I really miss that; losing the ability to search by name/popularity/system etc. really tears the gut out of browsing the site.
    But it sounds like this is in the works so that's all I'll say.

*2. Accessing the Forums!*
    There should be a consistent link/tab wherever you are on the site to be able to access the forums, especially given their importance.
    Hopefully something easy to add too...

*3. Internal Community Control*
    This would probably be a nightmare to implement but...
    I would love to give my site's fans and/or friends updates on my site or vice versa, particularly a new Adventure Log update.
    I would also love to be able to email multiple 'members' of my fan/friend list.
    Obviously this would need some sort of 'opt out' or options control for me and/or the fan/friend. (For instance it would be good to send out a notification of a new Journal entry, without 'spamming' them with every minor update).

*4. Better Image Control*
    This is the only issue that actually, really bothers me... With the old or new site.
    I like many here have a lot of images on my Adventure Journal and Wiki.
    I would like to be able to reuse some of those images... But with 20+ pages of images and no search function that's almost impossible!
    The image editor should use small *thumbnails* (including the ability to choose how many you can see at once)
    You should also be able to search and select an image by name.
    By the end of Star Wars: Rogue Traders I stopped trying to find images in the gallery and simply re-uploaded over and over again.
    Surely this would be good for OP, with less files on their server!

_Anyways, that's my 4 cents._
    Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the site, which comes either for free or at a minimal cost!
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Must admit I'm starting to get really pissed off as I do extensive edits to my core campaign with this stupid pale text on pale background garbage.

Add in the fact that for some reason OP now inserts a dozen or so blank rows over any table I create and I'm not a happy camper. Big stuff takes time, but this is small but essential and it makes using the site a pain in the ass. If you want to keep your users you need to NOT make it a pain in the ass.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @DM Loki- From the update today, on the Blog. "High-Contrast Mode

We have gotten a lot of feedback regarding the new color scheme, particularly regarding the color of the text on the background within text entry fields. We have plans to implement a “high contrast mode” to provide yet another option for those who are having difficulty with the default color scheme. No custom CSS is required, and it will be available to everyone, not just Ascendant. However, I’m trying to focus on the file uploads first and get that out before splitting off onto other things."

Just trying to help out.

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So, the long-awaited update is on the "blog":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/strech-goal-updates/
    Since comments there are disabled, lets put our comments here.
    Here is mine: "We hit a snag on this when our “get more backgrounds” guy took a new job that doesn’t leave him enough time to work on this, so we’re looking for someone to step in. If you’re interested, keep an eye out as we’ll be posting the job description soon."
    So glad that they have acknowledged that one of the big reasons things have slowed down is they are even more shorthanded than when the Reforge started!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• Basileus
    Basileus
    Awesome! I have no specific thoughts in response, but High Contrast Mode will be good for a lot of people. And glad to have a semi-official announcement about things.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    At least something is happening.....and there is some news.

twigs (on holiday at the moment)

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• weasel0
    weasel0
    Ever since the MAIN FRONT OP PAGE VANISHED....I have a hard time 1- remembering that blog is there and 2- it's such a pain in the tookas getting back to anything as the link to the main site is buried. I mean, the links to THIS forum area is hard enough to find as "Community" doesn't exactly scream "Forums" to me.
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    It's _great_ to hear news from an official source! Even if the news is bad, like "we lost a guy" it's good to hear. Heck, even if the news is "This turned out to be harder than we thought, but this is where we are" is always terrific to hear. As an engineer, I am very familiar with thinking "Psh, I can figure this out in a few days easily, how hard can it be?" And then being found a week later curled up in the back of the machine, hair wild, tangled up in wires and gnawing on a Phillips head. Shit can be tricky.

It seems they're working on file uploads, although I also hope they're devoting some time to the fora, especially regarding the emailing issues. I think fora-issues are really the only things I notice these days.

Although I am excited to be able to upload different file types, and for the random name generator. I had a town where all the guards were named "Frank", and I just had an NPC named "Tullamore", because I saw a bottle of Tullamore Dew on my friend's shelf.

-Thorvaldr
    Post edited by Thorvaldr on
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I never gnaw on Phillips heads myself - I'm exclusively a flathead gnawer.

Agreed on the file uploading being a huge deal. For me, particularly PDFs and custom chapter files for Book of Names.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Has anyone else stopped receiving email update notifications? For campaign changes? (I'm still getting them for this forum).
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    They seem very inconsistent to me. Getting them sometimes, other times not. I've been playing with my profile settings but haven't been able to get them to behave consistently, so not sure if there is a problem or what it might be.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    There are two threads concerning this issue (with no developer replies) listed;

"Here":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Editing has changed to high contrast black on white.

Hurray! Thanks OP.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    ...except the box where you put custom CSS, which seems to stay white on gray even when you click in it now. Doh.
  • Travis19
    That's probably just an oversight -- Let me report it.

For anyone/everyone who has been having email problems -- they SHOULD be resolved now (insert boring explanation with phrases like "blacklist" and "Yahoo" and "DMARC policies" here). If anyone is still having trouble please let me know (in the forums ideally, but here is good too).

Also, I just wanted to apologize to everyone who has a help forum request pending -- I've had a rough couple of weeks and haven't been able to get to things as fast as I'd like. I'll be correcting that in the next few days. Apologies!
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    No worries Travis, you've certainly earned some patience from us end-users.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks OP crew!! Really great! One of the biggest sticking points gone. Now if we could just get our community together again....

Just trying to help out.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I was actually starting to like the darker text field, it was a bit easier on my brightness settings. I don't mind the black-on-white, though.

Anyone know of a way to change that to a white-text on slate(dark) background? Or ideally get a couple of color options available?

_~Mae_
    "Whispers in Tamris":https://whispers-in-tamris.obsidianportal.com/
    Post edited by Maesenko on

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Basileus
    Basileus
    Maesenko, since you are Ascendant, you can drop this in your campaign CSS:

@/* WHITE ON DARK TEXT BOXES */
    textarea:focus {background-color: dimgray; color: white;}
    .post-gm-only input[type='text']:focus, .post-gm-only input[type='email']:focus, .post-gm-only input[type='password']:focus, .post-gm-only input[type='tel']:focus, .post-gm-only textarea:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='text']:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='email']:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='password']:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='tel']:focus, #gm-secrets textarea:focus, .secret-section input[type='text']:focus, .secret-section input[type='email']:focus, .secret-section input[type='password']:focus, .secret-section input[type='tel']:focus, .secret-section textarea:focus {background-color: dimgray; color: white;}
    .campaign-settings #advanced-settings .flat-field:focus {background-color: dimgray; color: white;}
    @

Should hit all wiki, GM only, secret, and CSS editing fields/boxes.

EDIT: For color options, just replace the three instances of "dimgray" and "white" with colors of your choice.

ALSO EDIT:

A version that flips those two colors on focus (again, search and replace "dimgray" and "white" with colors of your preference:
    @/* WHITE ON DARK TEXT BOXES */
    textarea {background-color: white; color: dimgray;}
    .post-gm-only input[type='text'], .post-gm-only input[type='email'], .post-gm-only input[type='password'], .post-gm-only input[type='tel'], .post-gm-only textarea, #gm-secrets input[type='text'], #gm-secrets input[type='email'], #gm-secrets input[type='password'], #gm-secrets input[type='tel'], #gm-secrets textarea, .secret-section input[type='text'], .secret-section input[type='email'], .secret-section input[type='password'], .secret-section input[type='tel'], .secret-section textarea {background-color: white; color: dimgray;}
    .campaign-settings #advanced-settings .flat-field {background-color: white; color: dimgray;}
    textarea:focus {background-color: dimgray; color: white;}
    .post-gm-only input[type='text']:focus, .post-gm-only input[type='email']:focus, .post-gm-only input[type='password']:focus, .post-gm-only input[type='tel']:focus, .post-gm-only textarea:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='text']:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='email']:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='password']:focus, #gm-secrets input[type='tel']:focus, #gm-secrets textarea:focus, .secret-section input[type='text']:focus, .secret-section input[type='email']:focus, .secret-section input[type='password']:focus, .secret-section input[type='tel']:focus, .secret-section textarea:focus {background-color: dimgray; color: white;}
    .campaign-settings #advanced-settings .flat-field:focus {background-color: dimgray; color: white;}@
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Anyone here remember when word processors were white on black? Or Wordperfect, white on blue!
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I even had an electronic typewriter that could store three lines of memory. Check for typos, edit, print! It was great hearing that thing whack out the keys at about 150 words a minute!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions