Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    @leonidas300 I'm not going anywhere for awhile. Just won't be using it as much with the eyestrain factor.

As to the helpful code you shared, where do I paste it?

Hoping to get Crisis launched after Mardi Gras, March-ish.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    Glad to hear you are sticking around - it's too bad that baffling and unpopular cosmetic decisions have not been addressed to the point where it stymies superior creativity such as yours.

As to the code - go to your settings tab
    then the advanced tab

and then you can paste it anywhere in the Custom CSS area.

I believe A Manifestation of Chaos will be wrapping in late April right around Session 100

"Leonidas300":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/leonidas300
    "A Manifestation of Chaos":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/main-page
    COTM - Sept. 2012
  • Unknown
    Can I cry? I am so... lost!

I have been using OP for years now. I had invested a lot of time & energy into adding the old Marvel Superheroes rpg details into OP so it would make it easier for my players & I to use. Details like character creation, individual power description, talents, ability details & charts from the game. I've even added a wiki to keep track of weekly Karma Earnings (Experience Points). My old & new group loved how it was.

So my new group & I took a break for awhile, and low & behold, OP changed. I had to seriously apologize to my players because I needed time to figure out the new OP; but soon realized I had to give it up because the new look ruined my game. I hate to say it but pretty isn't good. Pretty isn't functional. Pretty is distracting & limiting.

If I may beg, PLEASE give people the option to use background images or revert back to the old style. Hell, even if it was an Ascendant benefit, at least you'll have members be willing to pay & keep what they've done rather than changing it all & forcing us to accept this new look.

Btw, how in the heck do you get those generated, fill-in-the-blank character sheets like D&D & DC Adventure (M&M) for new characters? I'm trying to add a DC Adventure campaign here & I'm frustrated trying to find them so my players can easily add their stat info to OP.

You're loosing me here... please help!
  • ruleslawyermark
    ruleslawyermark
    This has likely been talked about I just can't find it:

I can't sign on with my own account via Explorer. When I click "I signed up with my own account" button it just does...nothing.

I can sign in with Google plus, I'm just curious why this happened since the Reforge.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I found that happening on an older version of IE, but it seems to work on IE 11 (and 10 I believe). What version of IE are you using, and can you update to a newer one?

IE has been making big strides in terms of complying with browser standards recently, but they had a long way to go, so even semi-recent versions don't always behave as expected on newer sites. And if anything can be said about OP Reforged, it is trying to be as modern and trendy as possible (sometimes to its own detriment). I'm not sure exactly what mechanism they used, but essentially the form for logging in with a username is always there, its just not shown until you click that link, which switches which form is displayed. Whatever the mechanism is, older versions of IE just don't support it. On the older versions of IE, if you turn on Compatibility Mode its should display the "username login" form below the "social media login" form - just remember to turn off compatibility mode after logging in.
    Post edited by Basileus on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Customer Service
    It has been 42 days, or 6 weeks, since Jerry/Dread Gazebo said, "I’ll be in with updates in my reserved slot in the coming week or so. We’ve recently been doing some behind the scenes work at OP and I’ll be spending a lot more time on the forums with you guys in the near future.''
    That was stated "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3414&page=2#Item_20
    It has been over 1 month since the customer service person put in an appearance on this forum.
    We got a response on a customer service help ticket started by Leonidas300 on December 26th (18 days ago) from Micah, who said, "I understand everyone's frustration. Our CSR has been sick and then the holidays interrupted things. We hope to return to a more regular schedule in the new year. Expect more support ticket updates starting in early
    January.
    As to a public todo list, that's unlikely. It's not how I've done things in the past and I don't see the need to change that now. I keep the working list private to give myself the flexibility to adapt priorities and approaches as needed."
    That can be found "here":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/suggestions/906-customer-service

Just pointing out that even I, a very big Obsidian Portal supporter and fan, am getting frustrated about the lack of response. Is anyone ever going to address the "Reforge Tracking List":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3414& where DreadGazebo/Jerry said 6 weeks ago, "@Skidace, we’re looking into this. I’ve also passed this entire amazing forum thread on to the devs to take a look at the comprehensiveness Belrathius has given us here.
    You are all amazing people, Belrathius thank you so much for this series of posts. I’ll be in with updates in my reserved slot in the coming week or so. We’ve recently been doing some behind the scenes work at OP and I’ll be spending a lot more time on the forums with you guys in the near future. I’m pretty excited about it. Keep the comprehensive stuff coming everyone, you’re awesome."
    Please, please help!!! This is a great site, and a great community, but we are having trouble being left completely in the dark. I still try and remain positive, but it is getting more difficult for myself and the other pro-Portal folks.
    Also, there has not been a single update on the last 2 stretch goals that have not been touched- Ascendants having their own raw domain, and natural editing.

Just trying to help out.

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I agree with killervp.
  • schiann
    schiann
    I've been trying to answer "how do I" and "where is" questions in the Help Discussions, but frequently my replies are not being posted, even though I am logged in *and* answering the spam-protection questions. If you are waiting from a reply from users like me, please be patient because our carefully typed instructions are disappearing into the ether.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Hmm, just tried it and I am experiencing the same thing as schiann.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    How do we SEARCH FOR CAMPAIGNS? For all who are interested in being able to do this, please support the "TICKET":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/12375-search-for-a-campaign-functionality-post-reforge .

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• PhoenixMark
    PhoenixMark
    What twigs said! I added my voice to the "ticket":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/12375-search-for-a-campaign-functionality-post-reforge.

For the rest of OP, I am slowly rebuilding. It is a pain, but in the end, I am liking the looks of my campaigns. It sucks that I had 3 active campaigns to reforge. I have been working on "Crimson Skies":https://crimson-skies.obsidianportal.com and have given up on Shimmering Kingdoms and Sactown Blues, both games are on hiatus. In fact, as I plan on revamping my Shimmering Kingdoms to True20, I decided to start from scratch. I am very pleased with my CSS efforts, even though I barely know what I am doing. Thanks for all the forum support. I will be giving credits soon, it is on my to do list. You can see my new efforts at the "NEW SHIMMERING KINGDOMS SITE":https://shimmering-kingdoms-true20.obsidianportal.com (but it is very much a WIP that takes a back seat to my active CS campaign.

"PhoenixMark":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/PhoenixMark

"CRIMSON SKIES":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/crimson-skies
    "COTM June 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/crimson-skies-junes-campaign-of-the-month/

Also "Sactown Blues":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/sactown-blues and "Shimmering Kingdoms":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimmering-kingdoms
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Looks good so far, PhoenixMark

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    voice added - thanks for taking this one up Twiggs
  • ruleslawyermark
    ruleslawyermark
    @Shiann, (or anyone else)

Not long after you showed me the link on how to customize the Adventure Log dates through google chrome, my chrome does nothing but crash all of a sudden. So, back to Internet Explorer. Is there a similar way to customize dates on IE?
  • schiann
    schiann
    @ruleslawyermark,

I don't have IE installed on my Mac, so I haven't verified this will work. You should be able to open IE's Developer Tools by pressing F12 or choosing Tools > Developer Tools in the toolbar at the top. Then locate the "datepicker" variable @tortiekat discovered, make your changes, X-out of the Developer Tools, and click "Create" to save your changes.

OP hasn't been supporting older versions of IE whatsoever, so make sure you're running a recent version, too.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Communications from OP staff have always been an issue. As a communications professional I have always been appalled at the lack in that arena. Having rarely ever had any issues with OP I had simply shrugged it aside, but this platform is headed for a major nosedive if someone does not take the initiative and not only communicate, but do so factually.

Promising to become more involved and communicative does not work if you do not actually do so. Neither does not recognizing that this is an ongoing trend. Case in point, when I was interviewed via email back when The spelljoined got campaign of the month I submitted my answers with a request that they be edited for spelling and grammar since I was typing on a phone. This was not done and the interview posted as it was, leaving me a piece of content attached to my name that made me look illiterate.

That same lack of care and communication is currently sucking the life out of OP, which distresses me. The appearance and subsequent total silence from the newly hired CSR really makes things worse. Please get your act together. I'll even give you my friends and family rates if you wish to hire my services. (I've run a multiple ENnie Award winning community over on. Planewalker for almost ten years now).

Love the space, not leaving yet, but I can no longer remain silent about the in attention payed to handling things properly, if it were a free service I would be more forgiving, but I pay good money and expect at least a minimum of customer care.

Please get it together.
    Post edited by Dungeon_Master_Loki on

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @DM Loki- Nice to see you back on the forums- although I wish it was in better circumstances.
    Seems that OP has a new CSR- Found this in a help ticket-
    "Posted by Travis19 on Jan 19, 2014 06:10 PM
    In any event I am the new customer service rep at Obsidian Portal. I sincerely apologize for the problems you're experiencing and I'm working with the rest of the team to see what we can do for you. I'll get back to you in the next 24 hours. Again, I apologize for the delayed response."

Also noticed that Drew's name is no longer on the help page as staff- Don't know if that means anything....
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    @DM Loki - well said my friend
  • RedStorm2013
    RedStorm2013
    Well, I just wanted to say Kudos to all the GM's who have done wonderful jobs recovering their sites after the mess the Reforging made of them. I popped on right after the Reforge was done to see all the campaigns I followed be illegible, and a mess. But all of you have worked diligently, and done fantastic work and I thought someone should say so. So, here's a cookie for each of you!

Red Storm
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    DEV REPLY TO THE SEARCH FOR CAMPAIGN TICKET:

“I can tell you for certain that the ability to search across all campaigns will return to Obsidian Portal in the future. There are a number of logistical barriers that must be overcome to slay this particular dragon and the development team is investigating the best way to execute.

As such, I can’t promise an ETA at this time, but please know that we are aware the feature is in high demand and there are plans to deliver it when we can get all the planes in alignment.”

P.S: and thanks, RedStorm2013!

twigs

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    BTW, the reply was not a Dev reply, but the new CSR replying.... so just fyi.... He goes by Travis19.

Just trying to help out.

• schiann
    schiann
    I'm so happy to see the new CSR @Travis19 replying to tickets!

I'm still having trouble replying to tickets. I tried to post a reply three times, and it still wouldn't post. I tried editing my previous reply, and it disappeared completely. Here's the URL for the ticket: http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/12352-how-do-i-edit-my-settings

Hopefully @PiersB or someone with the ability to post replies is listening to this channel.

@PiersB, The Settings link is only available to the Campaign's GM. You can see the Settings link on "Shadows in the Dark" because you are the GM. You are not listed as the GM for "Spirit of the Age" or "The Last Stand," so you won't be able to see, access, or change the Settings. (COA seems to be private so I can't tell who's the GM there.)

You could email the new banner to the person listed as GM and have them update it.

If you are now GMing those campaigns, you'll need to ask the person currently listed as GM to promote you to GM. The GM needs to go into the Settings, click "Players" in the top nav, and then click "Promote to GM" next to your name.

I am not sure whether Co-GMs are supposed to have access to Settings. Let us know if you are the Co-GM and need to get into Settings. The folks at OP will have to resolve that for you.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Forwarded your reply @schiann

Just trying to help out.

• schiann
    schiann
    Thanks, killervp!
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    The active work and support of Travis19 is noted and appreciated.

twigs

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    For all of you that have been frustrated post-reforge about getting little/no response from OP, the new CSR, Travis19, is making serious efforts on getting things back on track! He really is doing an excellent job, but is currently working on the help/trouble tickets. If you have an issue, make a ticket- you will be pleasantly surprised at the fast response!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Hey @killervp and others who are kind enough to enjoy seeing me back, thank you!

Let's hope the new guy continues to make headway, because communications have always been a huge issue for OP.

I'd also like to note that I suffered the least from the reforge. I did not use a lot of CSS so it did not break most of my pages, much of the rebooting I have to do is to accommodate new image proportions/sizes. I also mostly use it on an iPad so the tablet friendly aspect actually works reasonably well for me.

Honestly the only two things bugging me are the ridiculous grey and white edit view,an d the fact that there is no response to inquiries. I'm paying for those responses as much as the tools available.

I'm giving it a week or so before I write my next blog post about OP. If things change for the positive and Travis keeps rocking it might be more positive than what I've been considering. I honestly cannot advise anyone to join OP until things get a bit less amateurish in that regard.

No matter what you've got me for at least the next year until my recently paid ascendant runs out. Then I'll make a decision based on how useful it is at that point. In the meantime I'm going to continue as is.

One question for the group: anyone know of a good way to export an OP backup to an independent, self hosted wiki? I'm lining up my options just in case. Too many hundreds of hours in there to allow its evaporation.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Invoking a high diplomacy roll:

OP Admins and staff take note please. We love what you have built and you would probably be surprised a t how much patience we can summon when we are just kept in the loop. Lack of communication causes I'll will to fester and problems to be more frustrating.

One of the backbones of OP is it's community, let us help you by just scheduling a once a week update post. You can do that in the beginning of the week and schedule some time on another day to respond to any comments. With that minimal change I can guarantee that you will find us rallying to help rather than contemplating other platforms.

I know it's a lot, and it's time that could be spent working on the code, but the time will be well spent. A little interaction goes a long way.

Best from. NOLA!

• Travis19
    Hello everyone,

Travis with Obsidian Portal customer service here. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

As killervp mentioned, I am working mostly out of the support forum to start with--there is quite a bit to respond to and work through there at this time and I'm making my way through it as quickly as possible. That said, if you have an issue that hasn't been reported yet, by all means submit a ticket and I will work with the rest of the OP team to resolve your problem as soon as possible.

For anyone who is currently waiting on a response for me, rest assured I have not forgotten you. :) Right now I am still familiarizing myself with the Portal's various moving parts so I can assist you all better. There is a lot to cover, but I am working diligently to improve communication and response time on trouble tickets, and I hope that everyone will notice a positive change on those fronts soon.

I'm looking forward to helping out our great community. Thanks for using Obsidian Portal!

Travis Norris
    Obsidian Portal Customer Service
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    @Travis19

Thank you for joining the OP team. I look forward to seeing how things progress.

You have heard it pretty clearly - regular communication about closed and open tickets/issues - is all we are looking for.
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions