Adventure Log - Entering the Date

EverRaven
EverRaven
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
My current campaign is set in Victorian London, 1866. As a lark (and to keep all log posts in character) the chronicler of the crew has been entering his dates as if they were the correct date/year. So, the first entry was April, 1866. This made things AMAZINGLY easy for me to organize - all entries were in the proper order for the time the game occurred in play. As well, I could make one post on the day's current date to "Update" a main entry so that any player could easily find the adventure log they were looking for.

Now, with the new way of entering the date - unless I want to click on the "back one month" button until I hit 1866... this isn't possible any longer. Trust me, that's a lot of clickin'

While I understand the ease of using the click-on calendar - isn't there a way for someone to enter the date they want? Or at least choose the year rather than have to click a few berjillion times?

If any are interested in the entries, they can be found here: https://chapterhouse.obsidianportal.com/

Comments

• Langy
    Langy
    If they can manage it, I'd kinda like a system like Windows 7's calendar function. But typing in would also be nice.
  • Bookscorpion
    Bookscorpion
    You're not alone with that problem. I've forgotten who it was, but their campaign is set in the year 3000 or something...THAT is a lot of clicking.
    We play Shadowrun, in 2071, and for now, we've created a "masterpost":https://ratsnest.obsidianportal.com/posts/masterpost for all adventure logs so they can be easily found and read in order. But I really want to be able to just type the date.

Shadowrun: The Rat's Nest - COTM  November 2014

• Aviatrix
    Aviatrix
    I was doing the same thing with my campaign. Seriously, bad form to only have a wizard entry with no way to edit it by hand.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I recently posted a question about being able to edit the calendar parameters, and I feel this goes somewhat hand-in-hand.

I would love to be able to alter the date directly, since I don't play with Earth as a setting in most games I'm a part of.
    What I would really love to do is take it even further: altering week lengths, day names, number of months, etc.
    Even better still if I can run multiple calendars (including the standard Earth one, of course).

_~Mae_
    "Whispers in Tamris":https://whispers-in-tamris.obsidianportal.com/

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• Aviatrix
    Aviatrix
    Well, I've found a workaround if you feel fairly comfortable about mucking about with stuff. Be warned, though--it sucks.

Here's how I did it, using the Chrome element inspector.

1) Start a new Adventure Log entry. You should be able to fill in everything you want, except the date. Don't bother clicking on the date, we'll edit it in the HTML.

2) Open up the Chrome Developer's Tools (Menu then Tools=>Developers Tools) or right click in the Tagline input box and select Element Inspector. You'll see the HTML code displayed in a window at the bottom of the screen.

3) Click on the little right-pointing arrow in front of this tag: ... This will open up the stuff contained inside that set of tags.

4) You'll now see another right-pointing arrow next to this tag:
  • Bookscorpion
    Bookscorpion
    Yes! It works in Firefox as well. Rightclick on the Tagline input box, chose Inspect Element and then just follow the instructions. I doubleclicked the date and then was given an input box to change it.
    Beautiful. Complicated, but beautiful.

• Bookscorpion
    Bookscorpion
    As a shortcut for Firefox: right-click, chose Inspect Element, then chose 'Select Element with Mouse'-icon in the upper left corner of the Inspect Element menu and click on the Date input box. You'll be taken directly to the point where you enter the date in the code.

• Maesenko
    Maesenko
    Cool to see you found a way to do it on Firefox, Bookscorpion.
    Should save those of us who do not use Chrome some effort.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee

• schiann
    schiann
    Thanks tortiecat for this idea and Bookscorpion for the Firefox instructions.

This only seems to work with new Adventure Logs. Can anyone spot why it's not working for me to reset dates on already-posted logs?
  • schiann
    schiann
    @ruleslawyermark asked about IE instructions for this in the OP Launch Feedback forum discussion, so I'm cross-posting what I found for posterity.

I don't have IE installed on my Mac, so I haven't verified this will work. You should be able to open IE's Developer Tools by pressing F12 or choosing Tools > Developer Tools in the toolbar at the top. Then locate the "datepicker" variable @tortiekat discovered, make your changes, X-out of the Developer Tools, and click "Create" to save your changes.

OP hasn't been supporting older versions of IE whatsoever, so make sure you're running a recent version, too.