Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• kridenow
    kridenow
    Hello,

Anyone knows if there was a discussion about images displayed and overlapping on search results ? Would the solution be the "simplified page list" ?
    I'm using an image on almost every page of a wiki (over 200 pages I believe) and any search return a mess of pictures because of overlapping.
    It's not unusable but particularly inelegant (and kills my will to add more)

Pierre
    Post edited by kridenow on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @kridenow- Please join this bug report and add your voice "here":http://help.obsidianportal.com/discussions/problems/11441-the-new-search-tool-is-fantastic-but

Just trying to help out.

• dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    @keryth - out of curiosity are all of your users using firefox? I just had my ONE gamer who has an ipad gen-1 (iOS v5.1.1) and she was able to log in fine (sorry, had to pin her down to check, the rest of us use android tablets). She logged in fine, no issue - but she is using Safari and she logs in via Google account. She says there is no need to scroll down or anything else. Is there anything else that may be interfering with your gamers ability to login?
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    I have been gone a while and was very proud of my creations. I have read all 13 pages of these posts good bad and ugly. I was excited to start gaming again after a long dry spell, but after looking at all the work I have lost (in my opinion) and all the new things I would have to develop I have decided not to. I will maintain my member ship for a while, but will most likely not renew it. This reforge was a huge step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I was before so happy with the site I renewed my subscription despite not using it. I would hope that the developers and other those running the business take a hard and I would guess high cost from this. I work in a similar field doing customer service for a huge client and I have seen what a bad rollout can do. In fact I was brought on to clean up the mess so for all of you dealing with this you have my sympathy. For now however I will be going back to the sidelines. Once I recover from the shock and frank disgust (again just my opinion) I might be willing to try this out again. For now this is one customer with one foot out the door.
  • killerangel
    killerangel
    HurstGM, you might as well talk to the wall. I posted feedback here weeks ago and it was ignored. Yours likely will be too. This is not a place where they want to hear your opinion, it is for developers to argue.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I gave feedback and received feedback, so my experience has been positive.

IANAD (I am not a developer).
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    @ Killerangel I know that some will be ignored but the reason they "fight back" is that they spent a ton of hours on it and are just as proud of the reforge as we are of our games. I deal with programmers every day and I've seen the other side of this equasion. I have had the oppertunity in my professional life to work both sides of the crowd. I guess what I would take from this is that they do have pride in thier work and they should what this site does is not simple. However the other thing I would take from this is that based on the overall feedback is that the product relaunch was not well taken by its customers. It does not matter in the end who is "Right" and who is "Wrong" because there is no right and wrong. The devlopers worked hard to provide soemthing they felt would be an improvement over the old site. Something that would be well recived by the fan base. I dont think that happened, it certainly did not in my case. I dont think they are ignoring the feedback. I think they have so much feedback and so much invested they cant just cut thier losses.

I think in general we should cut them some slack. By that I dont think bashing them over and over works or is constructive. This is a ton of hard work for them and its hard to hear that all hard work was not well recived. Ive said my piece on what I dont like and will now chose to vote with my money. Now thats not ment as a threat more as a statement of consumer fact. If they have a product I dont like I dont continue to buy it. Ive made my voice heard as far as im concerned they listen or they wont or in some cases cant. Ive really ejnoyed this site in the past and I have hopes that it will return in a more user friendly nuts and bolts version. If not then I'll more on to something else.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    I'll jump in just long enough to both second and applaud HurstGM's comments.

As a computer professional who has done UI design work, I understand the effort it takes to create a complex application such as this. I am simply disappointed that the end result was less appealing than the original layout. I don't find it worhwhile to spend a significant chunk of my GM time and effort on GUI design instead of on, y'know, the game itself, especially if I'm then expected to pay for the privilege.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    @Dawnhawk

I had the same issue on my IPAD 2 before upgrading the OS. The ones having issues are using IPAD1s and are not logging into the sight, but just going to my Campaign site.

As for the guy with the Firefox issue, I am stumped, as I use Firefox myself on my PC and have no issues with the sight at all.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @hurstgm- So sad to hear that you will be leaving- you have been missed, and as someone who inspired me so much early on, your future input will be missed!
    I applaud your reasoned statements- thanks for keeping it professional!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hey All

I have said before on these forums how the vitriol did take me aback. Personally, I have taken the hit with the Reforge, used the Vanguard system, and improved my new campaign to more or less where I want it to be. I agree the whole layout is much better but there are still many things not attended to that seemed very important to me and I think HurstGM's honest and measured assessment of the situation is correct. It outlines the BIGGER PICTURE quite neatly I think and paints the essence clearly! I think all of the OP Design Team should eat some grass from his field and chew the cud for a bit.

Regardless of his decision, I am STILL IN though!

twiggyleaf
    CURRENT CAMPAIGN: "Mysteria":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/mysteria - set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.
    Previous CotM Aug 2012: "Shimring":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    That's profound twiggyleaf. I concur.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    COMMENTS, COMMENTS, COMMENTS, COMMENTS!

Comments on Main Campaigns, Commenting on other Campaigns that you are not in, and Searching for other campaigns. There are requests! There are bug reports!
    Now people are inviting me to be part of campaigns just so comments can be added and even those requests are delivering ERROR 500 bugs when I try to accept.
    Is there ANY progress on this issue at all.....

Please give us an update!!!!

twigs

Inner Council Member

• BrianAdamantite
    BrianAdamantite
    @Twiggyleaf - YAY!!!!!

It could be possible to code your own site, but that comes with maintenance and improvements are all on you. I really want to give this a chance, however, I am realistic enough to know there is a lack of transparency for a reason. They still have to deliver the other reforge promises they made before they will bring comments back, IMO.

All that being said the day they announce that "Comments" are returning I will pay for an additional year of ascendant time, regardless of how much time is left.

Micah & the others responded to the money from the kickstarter and it was pre-allocated I would pay for another year of ascendant membership if they would bring comments back now.

Just my two coppers

AZ_Rune
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    The silence is the update Twiggs
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    Where can I find information on my ascendant membership?
    Thx!

edit:typo
    Post edited by Praesi on
  • schiann
    schiann
    @Praesi, When you are logged into Obsidian Portal, look in the top left corner. It should say "Welcome Praesi," then show your avatar, and then show a tiny arrow. Hover over the tiny arrow, and a drop-down menu should appear. Click "My Ascendant Membership." It should take you to a page that lists your pay period, next payment date, card type, and card number (last four digits) and lets you change your payment details or downgrade.

If that's not working or you need to know about Reforge Kickstarter Ascendant info, I don't know :/
  • Praesi
    Praesi
    @schiann, thank you - but that page only shows a giant pic of dice headed by "Reforge Kickstarter Backer" in giant letters. No more info provided. I knew THAT page myself, but as there no information on my membership I thought this would probably have moved somewhere else.
    Nevertheless thank you!
    Any other suggestions?
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Same here...that links leads to a nice banner...but that's it.

"Banner":https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/assets/274877/ScreenClip01.png?1387383634
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I would like to say I am puzzled and concerned about the lack of feedback during the past week.

If there's going to be a holiday drought on information, just let us know.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    COMMENTS, COMMENTS, COMMENTS, COMMENTS!

Comments on Main Campaigns, Commenting on other Campaigns that you are not in, and Searching for other campaigns. There are requests! There are bug reports!
    Now people are inviting me to be part of campaigns just so comments can be added and even those requests are delivering ERROR 500 bugs when I try to accept.
    Is there ANY progress on this issue at all…..

Please give us an update!!!!

twigs

I am copying Twiggyleaf's comment, because I agree 100%!
    @SkidAce- The silence is quite disturbing. Also, my Ascendant reads as yours.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Post edited by GamingMegaverse on

Just trying to help out.

• Basileus
    Basileus
    @killervp:

I find your lack of faith disturbing! :P

-crickets-

I have nothing meaningful to contribute at the moment beyond the above Star Wars reference... :(
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Not lack of faith at all- just stating that it would be nice to have things addressed.
    It has been over 2 weeks since anyone has done any sort of update- Jerry stated "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3414&page=2#Item_20 ''I’ll be in with updates in my reserved slot in the coming week or so. We’ve recently been doing some behind the scenes work at OP and I’ll be spending a lot more time on the forums with you guys in the near future.''

Just trying to help out.

• Basileus
    Basileus
    I was just riffing off the use of "disturbing". Had that line stuck in my head for some reason. :)
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    I do think there is a bit of irony in the invoking of Star Wars though.

Preforge = Original Trilogy

Reforge = Prequels
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Has the horrible gremlin of SITE FORUM NOTIFICATIONS returned? I sent out messages via my FORUM and no email notifications have appreared.

Just asking, because this has happened before quite recently.
    (I can also use such a thing as GROUP EMAIL SEND but prefer to use the purpose built FORUM method)

Any DEV update welcome!!!

twigs

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    P.S: I have just tested a message to myself (outside of the Forum Notification method) and that seems to be working......

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    With you Twiggs,

The initial forum post does not go to anyone and the select all does not go out either. It would be nice if some of this stuff started to actually be addressed.
  • saethone
    saethone
    Is there a way to delete a forum topic in the campaign dashboard? I can delete individual posts fine but the topic remains...

"Theophagie":https://theophagie.obsidianportal.com/ - Houseruled D&D 3.5 in Alternate History Earth
    "Zeroed":https://zeroed.obsidianportal.com/ - GURPS Cyberpunk-Sci-Fantasy
    Post edited by saethone on
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions