Obsidian Portal Launch Feedback

Comments

• SkidAce
    SkidAce
    So what did the downtime this morning and evening do?
  • schiann
    schiann
    @Jess, Are you reviewing closed tickets? Tickets were opened for the removed features I'd like to see restored, but they have been closed. Should I start new tickets for those? I don't want to inundate you with duplicate tickets, but I want to be heard.
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    Has anyone else noticed that even if you set your forum posts to e-mail all, you don't get your own post e-mailed to you and the initial post on anything does not go to anyone.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @Jess- The best place to go for a list of issues is Belrathius great "Reforge Issue Tracking List":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3414&page=1
    Would echo SkidAce's question- what did the downtime accomplish?
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":https://a-god-rebuilt.obsidianportal.com
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/
    Here to help anyone- Send me a PM

Just trying to help out.

• dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    @Jess - Welcome! And Congrats on the new position. Sorry - late to the party...Rider Nation sort of took over my life for the last 5 days.
  • Jehzavere
    Jehzavere
    First, addressing the downtime:

For most occurrences of downtime, this means certain lower-level things have to be touched, and most changes will be able to be made without bringing the site down at all. For this particular update, Development was was upgrading the version of Ruby that the site runs on.

@Schiann - I will not be reviewing closed tickets, so if there is something you'd like me to take a look at, please open a new ticket. Don't worry about inundating me with them! That's what I am here for.
  • jaredskarma
    jaredskarma
    Is there a possibility of the campaign forums displaying replies to specific comments nested under the comment being replied to?
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    For some reason, when I went to 11 fans, it shows me having -1.

Weird, if I click on the # of fans, I can still see the people who have favorited my campaign.

---
    "Unconquered Kingdoms - current campaign":https://unconquered-kingdoms.obsidianportal.com/
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    @Schiann - No need to re-open tickets or create more. People who have put in feature requests for things have been heard loud and clear, just creating a new ticket isn't going to increase/decrease priority on these things. The team has plans for what they are working on for the foreseeable future, we'd rather hear feedback/suggestions here on the forums and in our inboxes than seeing more tickets regarding things like the dice roller, etc. So just keep up the conversation here, we're listening! Just trying to keep the queue down to technical things right now, at least temporarily.

@SkidAce - I believe Micah is still currently looking into fan counts and what is going on with them, I'll pass this along.

@Pils - Are others noticing this same issue? Let me know.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    @DreadGazebo- Yep, it is a real issue- a friend threw up a map of my neighborhood as a joke- I took it down right away, but anyone can do it....

Just trying to help out.

• gruesinthedark
    gruesinthedark
    Not a technical issue, just a plea: can we lowly non-ascended members have the option to remove the background images entirely? Just a solid color, please. The background images just make things troublesome to read.
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    Since reforge, I've been unable to log in through the browser app on Android (Jelly Bean). The "I signed up with a username" link is unclickable. From what I can tell of the page that loads, many of the elements of the page, including text, overlap making it completely unusable. Is there a date in place for working on the responsive/mobile portion of the site? Because as it stands, I can only access my campaigns on a desktop or laptop. Thanks!
  • schiann
    schiann
    @RyanHeck, With Screen Rotation activated in your device's top pull-down menu, try turning your device to the side (landscape), clicking "I signed up with a username," and then turning your device upright (portrait) again. That makes the "Login" pop-up screen available on my Galaxy S3.

So, linking to Items? I'd like to easily add links to Items on Characters. Any chance of that feature happening?
  • silverdawnhawk
    Out of curiosity Ryan... which browser are you using? I'm logged in on my nexus 5 in chrome and purposely logged in with my test account (normally I'd just be dawnhawk) which uses a username not social media to see what happened, and it well... Obviously I'm talking to you, but I had no issue? Now I'm on KitKat since it's a nexus, I don't have a jellybean device at the moment, but it should be chrome that is the problem not android.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Since the Reforge, my players on IPAD 1's (who cannot upgrade to the newest iOS as it does not support the iPAD 1) are unable to access Obsidian Portal at ALL.

I have also been told by one of my players that Firefox seems to be having issues post reforge, but his is an isolated case so it may be something on his end

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    @schiann - Thanks. Horizontal made it pop as you suggested. On an S3 myself.

@silverdawnhawk - I'm using the stock browser. I prefer not to use Chrome.

Thanks!
  • dawnhawk
    dawnhawk
    heh @Ryan - I can understand that. At this point the "browser wars" are starting to rival the "os wars". I really couldn't be bothered to go to the sheer amount of effort required to put the asop browser back into kitkat (in case that made no sense - the browser no longer exists as of Kitkat and on the nexus 5 requires root and sideloading to put it back).
  • RyanHeck
    RyanHeck
    New issues to me (probably rehashed concern in this thread, but I can't recall seeing it) concerning the Messages feature in the top nav. It's only called that through alt-text, but it's the little envelope between "Welcome Bob" and the Campaigns dropdown (love that dropdown).

1. One of my players brought it to my attention that you can't see the previous messages on the page you are composing a new message on.

2. When you reply to a reply you made in a Message thread, it puts you in the To: field instead of the other person. This is obviously aggravating if you don't catch it before hitting submitting the message.

3. I noticed that unless I have a fellow user's name memorized/clipboarded, I have to back out from that page to access the Players listings. Sometimes, OP users have very elaborate spellings that are hard to spell. With the way tags and the Search bar works, I expect that the To: field should auto-populate as I type at least with a) players' username that are in my campaigns and b) users I've friended.
    Post edited by RyanHeck on
  • JackMunchkin
    JackMunchkin
    Question :
    Is there a way to give restricted access to selected players for Wiki pages, items or maps or whatever content we'd like ?
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    JackMunchkin- You can make player secret areas _within_ wiki pages! When you're in the edit-page screen, scroll down until you see the "Add Player Secret" button. It's just under the "GM Only" area. If you click on that, you can add secrets which will only be seen by the players you select. You can add multiple secrets for multiple players, or have some secrets visible to multiple players. You could make a map page wiki and add a map image to a player secret, and do it that way... I don't think the actual maps can be secret as such.

-Thorvaldr
    DM of "Tyellador":https://tyellador.obsidianportal.com/
  • JackMunchkin
    JackMunchkin
    Thanks Thorvald, I had missed that function
  • Thorvaldr
    Thorvaldr
    @Jack- It's very easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

Anyways, finally solved an issue I was having. As I may have mentioned before, I've been avoiding fixing our adventure logs like the plague. Finally got down to it. The issue was that in the main Adventure Log screen, our latest adventure log was visible. The next half dozen weren't showing, and then we saw another adventure log, and them a few after that disappeared. However, when you clicked on one of the adventure logs, you _could_ see all of the others ones, and click back and forth through them. They just didn't show in the main screen.

Finally figured out the issue: The old tag, combined with our parchments. We use the parchment background on our adventure logs, similar to the rest of the site. The parchment background is made up of a few divs at the beginning and end. What I _think_ was happening was when we had a tag in these divs, those divs took up the actual amount of room on the main screen, that they did in the adventure log. Something like this:

|_Adventure Log 1._|_Main Screen Actual._|_Main Screen Supposed to be._|
    |Adventure Log 1 Text.|Adventure Log 1.|Adventure Log 1.|
    |Adventure Log 1 Text.|Adventure Log 4.|Adventure Log 2.|
    |Adventure Log 1 Text.| .|Adventure Log 3.|
    |.|.|Adventure Log 4.|

So what my crappy table above is _supposed_ to show is that if we overlaid the first adventure log over the main Adventure Log page, it would cover the "previews" of Adventure Logs 1,2 and 3. So they would disappear, and Adventure Log 4 would be the next one to show up. (And it would show up right after Adventure Log 1, there wouldn't be the large space.) That, or they seem to now just go to a page 2 now.

But now that we've removed the tags, everything seems to be working correctly! Don't know if anybody else was having similar issues, but there we go.

-Thorvaldr
    DM of "Tyellador":https://tyellador.obsidianportal.com/
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    It seems to me there is a problem with the INTERNAL FORUMS in that when I add a post and send, it is NOT sending out an email notification, even though the box is ticked on sending and the PROFILE BOX: RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS ON ALL FORUM POSTS is also ticked. Is anyone else noticing this?

THIS SEEMS QUITE MAJOR TO ME AS THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT OF FORUMS AND IT IS ONE OF THE SUPPOSED PERKS OF BEING AN ASCENDANT MEMBER.....

(P.S: I think this is also affecting the CALENDAR NOTIFICATIONS - I also recently had a problem with that too....)

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    I have Twiggs and even mentioned something on this thread on 11-25-13 (still on this page) but I did not put in a ticket for it because the half dozen tickets i have put in or joined in on; get put in the "oh... I'll mention something to so in so" or "sorry for the delay I'll be looking at this" category - which is understandable to a point but really defeats the purpose of putting in tickets for me anyway. No one expects instant turnaround but in one case the ticket is over a month old, in another which I did not intiate but joined in on it the ticket was closed without resolution and reopened 3 times and I also believe all of them are at least 3 weeks old at this point. Sorry to be so negative about it, but between no answers on the stuff that I and many others have asked about, the mystifying design choices by the developers, the compartmentalization of the portal community, the continuing struggle to put my campaign back into order, the inability to find or access material on certain Wiki-pages, especially accessing things that were filed pre-reforge in the sub-forums (which is increasingly pissing me off), the flak I get from my guys about being able to access the portal on anything but a desktop and even then depending on your browser not being able to sign in so they can complete the required character updates and bid on treasure earned as our system dictates and most importantly due to these issues; my guys who were active have stopped being active in supporting the campaign.

so yeah not alot to be positive about,

"Leonidas300":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/leonidas300
    "A Manifestation of Chaos":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/main-page
    COTM - Sept. 2012
    Post edited by Leonidas300 on
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    All my missing email notifications (since around midnight last night) came back all at once in a flood some time today while I was at work.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I see all the missing emails have popped back into existence and there is a notice regarding the issue on the "RED GEAR". They say it is now sorted, so hopefully that will be the end of that particular bugbear.

twigs

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Jehzavere
    Jehzavere
    Thank you for your patience, everyone, as we continue to work through tickets. We do see everything that is reported but must prioritize everything based on urgency and how many users are being affected.

@Leonidas300 - we have received your tickets, and I hope to provide you with more updates as soon as I am able.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    Since the Reforge, my players on IPAD 1's (who cannot upgrade to the newest iOS as it does not support the iPAD 1) are unable to access Obsidian Portal at ALL.

I have also been told by one of my players that Firefox seems to be having issues post reforge

This is becoming a serious issue as almost 1/2 my group can no longer access OP.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/

• Donegal
    Donegal
    Jehzavere, can you please tell us when Sticky option will be returned to the forum? This is a standard forum function that is missing now. It is crazy that this is not fixed yet.
This discussion has been closed.

March 2024
Wrath of the Highborn

Read the feature post on the blog
Return to Obsidian Portal

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discussions