Elizabethtown, PA checking in...

stumblewyk
stumblewyk
edited August 2008 in Player Lounge

Comments

• stumblewyk
    stumblewyk
    Hi folks. Name's Josh.

I've been playing D&D on and off for about 15 years now. Started in my early high school days with my friends as a player, and moved onto DMing a second group of friends "because I already knew the rules." Yeah, or so they thought.

Anyway, a few years ago after everyone returned from college, had jobs, and were starting families, I finally put together a real campaign and my old friends and I "got the band back together" so-to-speak. We've been playing ever since - adding players, losing players, and upgrading rule systems from AD&D 2nd Edition to D&D 3.5e. Our next game (hopefully run by someone else) will be in D&D 4th Edition, and I'm hoping to run something more "modern" in the future, possibly with a Neil Gaiman-inpired American Gods feel.

Additionally, I also run a PbP zombie survival game for a group of my table-top players.

So, "hi", "good gaming", and see you around!
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I've not yet read the Gaiman book, but my DM is currently running a Scion: Hero campaign that had the initial premise of "American Pantheon". We were encouraged to be the children of archetypes like Marilyn Monroe, Jimi Hendrix, Babe Ruth, John Wayne, etc.
  • stumblewyk
    stumblewyk
    American Gods is more of a theological/divine struggle. The gods (and monsters/fairy creatures/etc.) of the old cultures of Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America live wherever their believers live - as long as those who worship them still live, the gods still live. But America is different - with so many cultures, and so many beliefs, no divine being can live well, and now they struggle against the New Gods - Technology, Money, World, Sex, etc. for simple survival. It's a really fascinating book that dives deeply into the religious beginnings and history of the United States in an exciting, abstract way.

Seriously though...it's such a cool book, and it would make an awesome d20 Modern game IMHO. I'm hoping we'll see a modern 4th Edition ruleset, because I'd love to use it.