Reforging Update?

Comments

• madartiste
    madartiste
    That document sounds very helpful. I'm very much looking forward to it, and thanks for taking the time to put something like that together for us!
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Any idea if we should leave code in?

Ugly is no problem, not working for my players at all i.e. crashing is.

Should I prep vanilla pages?
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Per Micah, he says to leave it in. You should be fine and if you encouter issues we'll be available to assist. It is highly unlikely your campaigns will be unusable.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Thank you for the info.
  • Langy
    Langy
    Here's an update:

The Reforge is live!
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Oooh. Man. This is... Gonna take a while...
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you!
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • NinjaFlashX
    NinjaFlashX
    Oh...man. LOL! This is gonna be fun! Thanks guys for the Reforge!!!

Flash
    "Heroes Unchained":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/heroesunchained - _Where Slaves Become Legends_

Heroes Unchained: CotM 2013

• JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    Oh man....ok CSS and HTML masters...where are you? Us mediocre coders are going to need some help. Lets see if I can at least get my homepage to look good...

Jaymes

"Changing History":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/l5r-changing-history
    "COTM Feburary 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/changing-history-februarys-campaign-of-the-month/
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Ok, so this will look cool- after I edit over 600 pages.... Ouch.
    Concept looks great, but man this will be a lot of work!!

Just trying to help out.

• Torg_Smith
    Torg_Smith
    Looking real nice. I do not have any custom CSS.

One minor complaint I have is that links to new pages in the Wiki do not have a different color to let you know that it has not been done yet. If you cursor over it you will see new in the path, but it would be nice to be able to tell at a glance.

I had a bit of trouble getting to these forums. I had to go to my front page to get the link off the bottom of the screen. Is there a link by default on the regular pages?

I will need to check it out more tonight. Thanks for the good work. :)
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Don't like the forum changes....its where we played out the adventure before converting it to an adventure log.
  • Langy
    Langy
    Ouch.

This is why I kept my stuff mainly to CSS; it shouldn't take me *forever* to fix Edgerunners, and already I've got a few nice things.

One thing you might want to try if you dislike the width of the current content:

.main-content-container {
    width:990px !important;
    }

#sidebar {
    width:20px;
    z-index:2;
    position:absolute;
    left:980px;
    background:#454545
    height:100%;
    }

#sidebar:hover {
    width:250px;
    z-index:2;
    position:absolute;
    left:760px;
    background:#202020;
    }

.module {
    overflow:hidden;
    }

.sidebar-last-updated {
    overflow:hidden;
    }

And of course use the collapsed nav panel.

It makes it so the sidebars are typically hidden, and only display when you roll over them with the mouse.
  • Laslo
    Laslo
    What else is coming down the line for the reforge?
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Any ideas how to edit a forum post?
  • JaymesBolton
    JaymesBolton
    why is my banner all crunched up? Even on a brand new page with no coding it is crunched...This reforge is going to make me cry.

Jaymes

"Changing History":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/l5r-changing-history
    "COTM Feburary 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/changing-history-februarys-campaign-of-the-month/
  • Aenor
    Aenor
    Well... this pretty much threw everything I've done to the garbage bin. Plus I won't have the time to edit all pages. *sigh*

Does anyone know if the content area (the white block where the text is) can be widened _without_ using CSS?
  • Langy
    Langy
    Banner sizes changed with the update.

You can expand the content area by selecting the 'collapse front page menu' option in the style section of your campaign settings, but it still won't give you as much space as the previous version of OP. I have no idea whatsoever why, but they seem to have a fetish for only allowing you to have ten words to a line or something. *shrug*
  • Strahd42
    Strahd42
    * JaymesBolton
    * why is my banner all crunched up? Even on a brand new page with no coding it is crunched…This reforge is going to make me cry.

I wish i knew myself, i have tried re-uploading several different banners in several different sizes, and all of them are screwed up.
    i think it's re-proportioning the pictures along the X axis, and Changing the Y by an equal percentage. However it's not taking into consideration that the Y is now to great, Then it is centering and cropping. Maybe if you took an image and made it to the required dimensions it would come out ok.

And I have a Metric Crapload of changes to make. weep

s
  • rpowell138
    rpowell138
    So lets see. Image thumbnails are all broken. Banner size changed. Central content area is way too small. The right sidebar is as useless as ever. And basically no ability to do simple customization outside of knowing CSS. I need to play around more, but initial reaction is that my site is worse off for the upgrade.
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    What happened to the campaign forums and sub forums? I had mine very well organized so that things could be found and now...
  • Aenor
    Aenor
    @Langy
    Collapsing front page menu doesn't do very much, as you said.

The text is way too large and all pictures way too small. I'm sure this is all well and good when using a smartphone, but otherwise it looks pretty horrid.
  • Jayph
    Jayph
    What a mess! Seriously considering undoing my ascendent membership. I pay specifically to play a play by post game on OP and now the interface feels like a pile of dirty laundry. The new format has totally f'd PBP players. WTF?! The campaign banner is jacked, navigation is sloppy, campaign forums have no sticky feature anymore? didn't anyone do any testing? 86k guys and this is what you come up with.......?
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    I got to say I agree with you Jayph - pic's are all jacked the hell up; I can't figure out how to edit existing wiki-pages
    such as "Greyhawk Deities":https://metzger.obsidianportal.com/wikis/greyhawk-deities and my forums are destroyed. My page did not even have any CSS with the exception of the backround that is now gone except on the forums. Hundreds of hours of worked just FUBAR.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I have to admit, I'm not seeing any plus sides yet. And no, I'm not just being "OMG" change is bad.

I don't see (granted I may be missing it so far) any of the actual kickstarter goals.

Natural editing, local storage, random names?

Nowhere I read did it say this would be a "phased rollout" so I'm confused. Now if it is going to be phased in...cool,,,post some timelines on incorporating elements.

---
    Really not happy about the forums though. My play by post is dead in the water without forum post editing.
  • Langy
    Langy
    Editing existing wiki pages is one of the features that was a definite improvement - you can now just click a button at the *top* of the wiki page to edit it. It's right next to the page's name.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    REALLY unhappy about forums...I'm with @Leonidas300, here.
  • Langy
    Langy
    SkidAce: You must have missed it, as they specifically did say that it would be a phased rollout.
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    I apologise, upon reading the kickstarter page, I see natural editing is December 2013.

I was totally wrong about that point. /nod

Still not happy about forums. /sad smile
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    Thanks Langy.

Keep me honest friend....keep me honest.