Combining character bio and description

Micah
Micah
edited October 2013 in General Archive
Hey all,

I need some input again. On the list of "things I wish I had never done" is splitting the character text area into bio/fluff and description/crunch. It seemed like a good distinction, but has proved somewhat artificial, and especially limiting how people can choose to style or intersperse things if they want.

So, as part of the reforging, I'm considering just combining the two fields. For existing characters, we automatically take everything in the bio field and append it to the description field, and the description field disappears. For new characters, it's all just one field from the get-go. One goal here is that with natural editing down the road, we're probably going to do something similar anyway.

Before I pull the trigger on it, does anyone have any reason why this is a bad idea? Anything I'm missing?

Comments

• weasel0
    weasel0
    i was already to say "I like the seperation as its less likely for a user to accidentally screw up both areas at once."

But then i thought, "but thats what the saved versions of the page are for." So i guess im down for, "Don't care either way."
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    I like the idea of having a single section.
    We can always use titles to create whatever sections we want in the page.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I second Ketherian's thoughts- easy to work around.

Just trying to help out.

• Micah
    Micah
    Thanks for the thoughts. I was just looking for some kind of gut-check that I'm not making a big mistake here.

I'm still not sure if we'll do it now, but I'd like to.
  • Maesenko
    Maesenko
    I rarely use the crunch section for characters unless they are retired or deceased. I'm likely going to start using it for PCs in case I need them when someone can't show.

If you decide to keep the sections, I would rather the fluff section be before the crunch.

~Mae

CotM Selection Committee