A "Shared" field for GM and one player

Idless
Idless
edited June 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• Idless
    Idless
    I would be nice to have a "Private" field... a mix between the normal fields and the GM field, where only the player and the gm can read/write.

*What does it do?* Its a writing field... preferably beneath Crunch and Bio, but before the GM field. The account, to whom the character belongs can see it, and the GM of the respective campaign can see it. Both can edit it. Here are the players/charactes secrets that is not know to the others. personal plots and items for example.

*What does it look like?* A writing field like any other here, probably with the header "Shared Field"

Maybe only in the character pages if thats easier(I mean, some of the access restrictions is already there), and also because I feel thats the only place *I* need it...

Thoughts and oppinions?

...Troels
  • Micah
    Micah
    Hmm, it's an interesting idea. Do you have that many secrets with individual players? I guess I'm lazy in that I let everyone know pretty much everything.

I have toyed with the idea of allowing for per-user permissions on certain wiki pages. So, for example, you could set a wiki page to only allow the GM and a certain player. That would accomplish much of what you're describing, correct?

Still, I honestly don't see this coming anytime soon. There are just so many other things that need fixing and improving and I'm finding that I have less and less time to devote to the site (which I'm sure everyone has noticed...)

By the way: Thanks for following the "how to request a feature" instructions. You might be the first one ever :)
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    My campaign in particular could make great use of this feature. I understand that it wouldn't necessarily get a lot of play from everyone, but it would be nice nevertheless.
  • Idless
    Idless
    _By the way: Thanks for following the “how to request a feature” instructions. You might be the first one ever :)_

whud? and I don even get mah request made?

No its cool dude, if its difficult and if its not widely needed, then skip it for the next year or so ;)

But yeah, they only know about half of eachothers background, and they have personal plotlines that arcs the entire campaign (Destinies) - so yeah, it would be awsome!

I am totally cool with this being at the bottom of the queue, but I would still like to see it one day!

...Idless
  • sisren
    sisren
    My campaign could also use something like this - each character has a thing or two that none of the others know about.
  • metarob
    metarob
    I think this feature is more important than you realize. It would be good if each player could have a character diary (which is almost mandatory for Victorian games like Castle Falkenstein or GURPS Castle Falkenstein). The diary could be edited by the player of each character (but each player would not be able to read the diary of another scheming character). The omniscient GM, of course, can read all.
  • Bookkeeper
    Bookkeeper
    I know that my two campaigns would make heavy use of such a feature. I vote yay!
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Oh man this is what I WISH for. I have all sorts of stuff I just share with my GM and vice-versa.

I wouldn't say I'd like this feature, I neeeed this feature.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    For our part, a lot of player-GM stuff is simply handled over email and then stuff players feel like sharing is brought up at the next session. But then, I already know we use OP in a much different way from others. =)

You know, the more I hear people talk about this, the more it sounds like it *could* be as simple as some sort of copy+tweak+paste job with the current "GM Only" fields and/or tags. View would be restricted to the GM and the user account that created the data in those fields/pages.

I guess my ideal setup would be that players who create pages in the wiki get a "Public" field and a "Semi-Private" field. That way they can share *some* of what they know if they like, and keep other stuff secret until they get ratted out.
  • Idless
    Idless
    Sure, if this could extend to more than character pages, then it would be awsome!

...Troels
    Idless
  • Gully
    Gully
    I'd have to say that for me this would be a good item to have as well. My game relys heavely on character background and personal story arcs just as much as the active party story, toss in the fact that background actions play a heavy toll on the game as well.

We use this sight as a way to transfer information while away from the table, and to wright a comprehensive guide to the game. This ability would help us to keep this information where it belonged until it came puplic in game.
  • Micah
    Micah
    I'll think about it...but don't get your hopes up. Maybe I'll come up with a reasonable way to do this, but for now it's still looking too complicated.