Public Character List

2»

Comments

• Langy
    Langy
    Yeah, that'd be how you do it - but I'd still make it upon hover only, as it really would make things look 'busy' if everything was constantly scrolling!
  • Micah
    Micah
    We figured out a good way to make it wrap without breaking up the overall layout of the page. The one character will be longer, but it won't cause the ones below it to get out of alignment.

!https://www.evernote.com/shard/s245/sh/fbc93ec3-31a1-4aef-80be-4852a106a70f/d9f1f0d7d4cc2dc4f92494ab842a64ea/deep/0/Obsidian%20Portal%20Dashboard.png!
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Glad you solved it.

Just trying to help out.

• Phayt
    Phayt
    This looks really Fantastic!! In my campaigns i have pretty much been making all of my NPCs as simple wiki pages rather than making them characters because the character page was so unpleasant. i will certainly be switching to this page now.
  • Rahz
    Rahz
    One thing I'm still unclear on is based on the video and the screenshots posted above, what level of access does the current viewer has? I ask because myself and the other GM who I trade off with both tend to create profiles for characters that the PCs don't even know exist yet and like to keep them completely hidden until the right time so as not to give things away. So if the screenshot above is from the players' view, that means even if there are no details to see, they would still know that Parrus Carba is another potential NPC that the GM is "hiding".

Amazing progress though. Very much like where things are heading.
  • Micah
    Micah
    This is the GM/co-GM view. Players will never see the GM-only characters, even their names. They just won't show up on the page when a player views it.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Still curious on the tagging. One of the original stated goals of the Reforge was universal tagging. You mentioned it in a video 4 months ago "here":http://vimeo.com/63214179 Is this still happening? It appears from the character video and the item discussion that those pages are still going to be separate.

Just trying to help out.

• Micah
    Micah
    We've got universal tagging as one of the goals, but we haven't gotten to it yet. The plan is to be able to click a tag anywhere and be taken to a page showing everything with that tag: adv. log posts, wiki pages, characters, items, and so forth. Is that what you mean?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    That would be great! I personally was hoping for complete integration- the wiki pages, characters, items, and adventure logs all operate under the same rules, and the campaign/campaigns change on the url's went away- but having the ability to click a tag anywhere would be a huge improvement.
    Thanks for listening, and caring about our feedback. OP is essential to our games, and I do love this site!

Just trying to help out.

• Micah
    Micah
    If I understand correctly, I think we're addressing both of your concerns. The campaign/campaigns thing was a mess up from long ago and we're fixing that. URLs will be much nicer overall. Plus, if all goes according to plan, the unified tagging will be quite nice. Click a tag on a character and be taken to a page that shows all characters, items, pages, and posts with that tag.

Thanks for the encouragement. With any big change you're sure to irritate some people, so it's always good to hear from people that are looking forward to the change.
  • Viehmagnat
    Viehmagnat
    Tags, spacing, quick description all look great. I like being able to quick-select multiple tags to narrow down the filtered list. However when I go to type in a quick search on my filtered results, it unchecks the tags and goes back to the unfiltered list. Is this intentional? I would like to be able to search my filtered results, but it is not a need.

Maybe a button to "uncheck all" of the tag boxes. Currently this resets as soon as you try type in the quick search box, so if that is the intent, then this would be redundant.
    Maybe a check box for "untagged" or "no tags" that would filter out anything with a tag. I would only use this box to make sure I have all my characters tagged, so it is nothing important, but if it is simple to add, it would be nice.

My character portraits do not show up on the character list. The shadows are missing, hinting that I have a portrait for them, but it shows only after going to the actual character page. (Same for the items page). Is this something that just isn't finished yet, or an issue with the firefox browser?