Content Box?

Michael_Feare
Michael_Feare
edited June 2013 in Campaign Portal Building
Is there any way to create content boxes for wiki pages on Obsidian Portal? As in the content section just below the introduction description on a real wikipedia article (which you can use to navigate the page by headings and suheadings instead of scrolling through the entire page). This would mean that every heading is essentially a link. I'm using layman's terms because I don't code.

I often write long articles for my campaigns, so having these would help out a lot.

Comments

• Savannah
    Savannah
    You mean something like I've done "here":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/ageofworms-ap/wikis/creatures with my Contents section? If so, are you an Ascendent member or not? (It'll change the instructions.)
  • Michael_Feare
    Michael_Feare
    Ah yes, that is perfect. I'm not an ascendent...Is membership required in order to gain such a thing?
  • weasel0
    weasel0
    Being a member makes it much easier as you are given access to do campaign-wide CSS. Doing it without that access requires you to code each page declaring the CSS on each and every page you do. I'm still re-acquainting myself with CSS and all so I'll let the more experienced offer the actual help.
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    Nah, you don't have to be an ascendent, but you do have to do a little more work (fortunately, it's copy-paste, once you get the first one up). Also, note that this is manual, so I recommend writing and editing your page before you put in the table of contents, so you don't have to change things later. Here's what you do (all CAPS sections should be replaced with your own terms...caps not needed):

1) Set up the links within the page. For each header you want in the contents, add a link thingie (sorry, don't know what it's technically called) on a blank line above it. I've found that you do need to have a blank line above the link and between the link and the header. Like this:

HEADER

2) Set up the table of contents. You're going to make a div to hold the table of contents, put in the links, and make it look pretty. If you were an Ascendent member, you could do the making it look pretty step in the campaign CSS section, to minimize the code on each page, but if not, you just do it on a page-by-page basis. So, at the top of the page:

Contents
    LINK TEXT
    Post edited by Savannah on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    On an unrelated note, Savannah, I still love that Worms site....

Just trying to help out.

• Savannah
    Savannah
    Thanks! I'm finally back to working on it...
  • Michael_Feare
    Michael_Feare
    Thanks Savannah. I tried executing the code but didn't get what was desired. Could you look at my code and tell me exactly what I did wrong? I used exactly what you wrote above (with the CAP words changed). Then I tried:

Contents
    Header1
    Header2

h3. Header1

h3. Header2
    Post edited by Michael_Feare on
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    Well, you shouldn't need such long link names -- you define them and then just use those names, like so:

Contents
    Header1
    Header2

h2. Header1

h2. Header2

Also, I know I mentioned it before, but do be sure that if you're copying and pasting from the forum that you go back and change every single one of the double quotes -- just delete it and retype it. The forum makes them all fancy and slanted, and then the site doesn't recognize it as proper code.

If those two things don't work, can you link me to a page where you're using the code? I admit that the code I gave you isn't the exact one I use, as I put the appearance stuff in my global CSS, so there may be something I forgot to change -- if I can see it in action, I may be able to figure it out better.
  • Keryth987
    Keryth987
    This is truly an awesome idea. Gonna have to steal it for my next campaign site or sites (I have a few in the works now)

Thank you all, so very much, for this honor and for all your support.
    Shadows would not be what it is without my awesome players, nor without the support of the awesome community here on OP.

Keelah Se'lai,
    Keryth
    "Shadows Over New York":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shadows-over-new-york
    "Campaign of the Month - July 2013":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shadows-over-new-york-julys-campaign-of-the-month/