Cheating

2»

Comments

• nellshini
    nellshini
    I fudge the dice very very rarely. In fact, I can only think of a few occasions where I do so and it's usually in the PC's favor.

1) Early level crits. 1st level PCs have a handful of hit points even if they're supposed to be a beefy tank. A critical from any monster can bring them to their knees and end their adventure rather quickly. If the party is already in dire straits from regular early combat, I'll fudge the "crit" to a "hit" and mitigate the damage a bit.

2) Speeding up encounters. It's obvious they're going to win and they're hell bent on killing the NPC instead of interrogating him. All of a sudden his defenses aren't doing so well. HP is dropping off in chunks. Let's get moving along with the story again... Conversely, if combat is too easy the monster might roll a bit high just to use his cool ability before he goes down.

But outside of combat I let the dice roll how they roll. I like the randomness that it brings. The players have enough abilities to reroll theirs if they want to, and if it's absolutely necessary to avoid I can just set the DC higher accordingly.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    So, wanted to revive this since it is a stickied thread in the "Hot Forum Topics Thread":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2410&page=1

Just trying to help out.

• weasel0
    weasel0
    oooooh I'll go!

The only time that comes to mind(though I know I've fudged for longer enemy lives) is a buddy at the table who I utterly nailed with a crit after a long battle. After applying the various penalties to Movement, Att, Dex, and a mirade of other things(Hackmaster 4E), he asked, sadly, how much damage. I looked at him, asked how many HP he had left and left him at 1 and unconscious. He should have been thoroughly dead. D E D dead. Really would have been just a crappy way to go so...
  • Abersade
    Abersade
    I fudge the rolls fairly frequently, specifically in favor of the monsters/npc's usually. Cryohydras are kind of a running gag in my games, they have yet to last more than a single round of combat (this has happened three times now), so they've been known to collapse temporarily only to get back up again and resume attacking.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub