Looking For A Gaming Blogger

Cernig
Cernig
edited February 2013 in General Archive
I'm looking for someone who wants to blog about gaming - both tabletop and video gaming - for fun rather than profit on a new multi-channel website. Someone who knows their subject, can write four or five 400-800 word posts a day, make them fun and interesting, and is able to bring in other contributing writers as well as market their blog via social media. If you fit that description, email me at cernigATsbcglobalDOTnet.

Comments

• Cernig
    Cernig
    Nobody out of this whole community can manage 4 posts a day for a chance to make some beer money? C'mon folks!
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    I'd offer myself up if I wasn't already so busy. :(

If you ever want a guest post now and then hit me up, I love to talk about video games.
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    Thanks, DG, I'll be taking you up on that!
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    It's been pointed out that the word count may be far too high for the subject of vidgaming and TT gaming. I'd certainly look for 4 posts a day, average at 100-200 words each, as a minimum. Anyone?
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Hi Cernig.

Your pitch, if you don't mind my saying, is a bit ... worrisome.

OK, a bit of background. I'm speaking about your pitch from some experience. I've run APAs (Amateur Press Associations), worked for WorldCons, Sci-Fi and Roleplaying Conventions, written for a tiny role playing game company (and yes, they actually paid me), run tables at conventions, and written about most if not all of it. I write for a living (technical writer in a small Canadian company), still work at a convention or two, and game a lot.

So, you're asking for volunteers not employees, to make content for your website in return for free space. That's cool. Not a unique opportunity, but cool.
    But to get this free space you have to be willing to do some marketing on "social media". Cool. Most bloggers do this anyway.
    But you're imposing a minimum post count (4/day) and word count (100-800 each time). Every. Day. Which is hard to promise, but straight-forward at least.
    And you want your writers to recruit others. Which is ... confusing. Your pitch should draw them in. Or at least something on the blog (the header in most cases) should be your primary recruiting tool.

My worry comes from the fact that your initial post (and snark some hours later) do not endear me to an idea that you seem to be promising will be cool without telling me what it is.

Convince me to write for you instead of myself. Tell me what you are building and make me believe in your dream.
    Then we'll talk.
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    Ketherian, fair comment - I suppose I was trying to play things too close to my chest. OK, here's a proper pitch.

I've been blogging on politics and foreign policy for a decade now, mostly under my real name Steve Hynd. I ran the Newshoggers blog as senior partner for eight years and most recently was Editor-in-Chief of Agonist.org. However I've also written for The Nation, The New Atlanticist, Crooks &Liars and Firedoglake among others. I've a pretty good reputation in the field.

I'm starting up a new blog website aiming to give readers informed news and commentary on events at an engaging level, one that isn't dumbed down. It will be a multi-channel group blog with pages for: Politics & Foreign Policy; Music and Literature; Video and TT Gaming; Tech News and World of Warcraft. The best posts from each page will be promoted to the "front page". I'll be funding the start-up costs: hosting, professional theme, domain names etc. The target audience is 20-45, reasonably educated and a bit geeky - the folk who actually use the internet for more than just Facebook and Memebase.

The editors of each page will be full partners in the website, sharing decisions on the site and any rewards equally (I did this very successfuly at Newshoggers). I already have some great writers - all known bloggers - as editors for the Music/Lit, Tech and WoW pages, and I'll be editing the Politics page as well as being overall Senior Partner responsible for the front page, main outreach efforts etc. However, I need an editor for the Vid/TT Gaming page who can produce entertaining content five days a week, find some contributing authors to help adding content to that page and oversee their efforts etc. Most of the editors will also contribute to other pages when they can too. I'm a full-time carer for my autistic son, and I can mostly blog/edit while doing that, so I'll be devoting about five hours a day across the day to making this site more than just another blog with a few hundred readers - a site that gets noticed and attracts an involved audience.

Monetization will be through ad spaces, and through partnership deals with online book and game retaillers. I don't expect it to make anyone a full-time wage, but I do expect it to make them enough to have a nice Christmas each year. However the opportunity to write and gain a reputation as a blogger in a venue that will offer a larger and more diverse readership than they could get with their own Blogger or Wordpress blog should be the main attraction. This is for someone who wants to write for the fun and reputation, not to become rich. That won't suit everyone, and I'm just fine with that. I'm not looking for an employee, or even just a volunteer - I'm looking for a Partner to join me and the other partners in this venture. It'll be fun, I promise.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Thank you for replying Cernig.

You're right, your idea does sound cool. I've seen it work in the past and I really hope it works this time for you, as it's the type of site I like to visit.

I don't have the daily time to commit to such a venture, although I would very much like to.
    Whoever heads up the TT/Gaming section, please have them contact me as I would happily pitch ideas to such a site (and I have a few).
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    Thanks, Ketherian, and I definitely will.
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    I think we've found someone - announcement when it's confirmed. :-)
  • dlaporte7271
    dlaporte7271
    If you're a fan of gaming blogs and such check out Analog Hole Gaming. It's a podcast run by one of the players in my campaign. I wouldn't call it your typical pod cast...but they are fun and entertaining.

Check out the "A HOLE":http://www.analogholegaming.com/

Latest Episode is #237

Explicit language...be warned.

dlaporte

"violent skies":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/violent-skies
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    Thanks for that head's up, dlaporte! :-)
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    Thanks to Cernig I have a new venture that looks to be fun and exciting. As it developes I shall tell everyone on OP more as every gamer from OP will want to see this project. Thanks for bringing me on board.
  • saethone
    saethone
    Good luck guys!
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    I'm so very happy to have Steve Wollett on board for the new venture, NotTheSingularity.com. Look for a site launch on March 21st, the first day of spring.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Hey Cernig,

One: I'm a fan of your work on Firedog Lake, ten points!

Two: Connect with me on Linkedin using [email protected] I've been a pro blogger for seven years among other things. I'd be interested in getting involved.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    writing you directly
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Replied. Got some fierce thoughts on this one.

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

• Cernig
    Cernig
    DML - LinkedIn invite sent! Glad you liked my FDL work. :-)
  • Cernig
    Cernig
    Sorry to bump this thread, but the website is now up and operating and the official launch will be this coming Monday (11th March). Check it out, let us know what you think.

http://notthesingularity.com/

We're also on Twitter, @NotSingularity
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Cernig, had a death in the family. Will get you a post soon, things just went kinda sideways for a bit. Hope to get it to you pre-launch.

• Cernig
    Cernig
    Thanks for the heads up DML, and no worries - real life and family always come first. For future reference, my email is cernigATsbcglobalDOTnet.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Got it, and thanks!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I just want to say that I have added your blog to my scrawl- and Stephen Wollett was a great choice for a gaming blogger!
    Good luck! Check this blog out folks!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I am sure I agree with the above! (About StephenWollett being an excellent choice of blogger)

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)
    "Campaign of the Month - August 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/shimring-augusts-cotm/
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Cernig
    Cernig
    Thanks guys! I'm very glad indeed Stephen decided to join the team at Notthesingularity.com. He's on holiday until Sunday but I spoke to him via email and I know he's got the blogging bug and is looking forward to posting lots more fun gaming content once her returns.

I'm still posting my left-libertarian political rantings, and we've got some great bloggers on the Music and Tech scenes too. I'm very happy about the way things are going.
    (The one thing I now wish I could find is a cartoonist who wants space for a weekly 3-panel strip where thousands of people will see it.)
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I am back and very happy Cernig let me join his band of merry peoples. KVP and TL thanks for the complements. I am sure I will grow as time goes on, this is all still new to me.