Help Needed (if you have the time) Adventure Log

Lord_AO
Lord_AO
edited August 2012 in General Archive
Hello all,
Cureently I used the method of posting a link on the adventure log to a wiki page where the full log is, but this leaves no place for people to comment if the wished. So I tried using the FAQ guide to help me with my long adventure logs and creating a sepreate link to the full entry. So killervp found that since I've been using CSS that the typical , wasn't working. Instead I used the code

Read the rest of this entry

This created a link, but the link it created where I should put my full log then shows up on the main adventure log still.

Comments

• darkanglmarine
    darkanglmarine
    AO, I think you may be experiencing another symptom of what I just put on the forums. I'm noticing formatting that used to work, and is all throughout my wiki is no longer working, and it's very basic stuff. Sorry I don't have a solution for you. Good luck!
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    @Lord Ao - We use very similar log methods and I tried to get the , to work forever and a day (pre CSS) and was not able to get it to work. People should still be able to leave comments via your banner link, not the most convienent method granted but still doable.
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    Alternativley you could just create a comments section at the bottom of you log

"Care to Comment":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/adventure-log/session-49#comments

this is just a link to the comment section on the adventure log page (you of course would have to change the number to each log, but should just be able to cut and paste it from one log to another).
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    I know that did not really get you what you wanted but it is a decent workaround until the problem can be fixed.

(by someone way better than me)
  • Lord_AO
    Lord_AO
    Hey thats actually a simple and elegant answer to the problem! Thanks, w0ot
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Has anyone else had problems with the

Just trying to help out.

• magavendon
    magavendon
    I have *never* been able to make it work. I've tried multiple times and looked at multiple posts about it and still have *not* been able to make it function.
  • ChainsawXIV
    ChainsawXIV
    The code is working fine for me, with and without custom styling. The most common issue people have with it is copy and pasting it from the forums or elsewhere, which auto-format it in a way that breaks the code. To work, what you put in must be exactly the following sequence of characters:

@@

Any extra spaces, missing or extra characters of any kind, or other differences and it won't work.
    Post edited by ChainsawXIV on
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Strange. Worked today. Did not change anything...
    Very odd....

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I had problems with it in the beginning and for the benefit of those who may be new and trying it, I therefore state what might be obvious to TECH GURUS but beflummoxed me for a bit.

You should not have any spaces between your intro text and your continuation text.

As an example, one might write: "It was a day of celebration for all Jamaicans.Usain Bolt did it again!
    (The first sentence will appear in the intro section and both will be in the continuation section when you click on the "READ MORE" bit.)
    In this format, where You see I have actually typed [open][exclamation][hyphen][hyphen][more][hyphen][hyphen][close]

I haven't used CSS yet. I cannot comment on that!

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• magavendon
    magavendon
    I'd like to think of myself as kinda tech-savvy and I still had a problem with this myself.

On that note, I tried it one last time today and it did actually work for me! For the first time ever hooray! I have no idea why it didn't work for me in the past, maybe a bug that got fixed?, who knows? I do know that I'm pretty good about "copying and pasting" what is intended from posts instead of what is shown. Also, it works for me without having to leave it inline of text.

For instance, I could type:

My friend enjoys making programs called foo.c.

====

He also enjoys making bar.c as well.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I've created custom styling for my adventure logs and the comments boxes as well, and the still works just fine. Maybe for those with CSS and an issue, check any changes you're making to any "a tags" in your campaign? (I changed the color and styling of a tags as well, and it works on the "more" button). Sorry that doesn't help fix the issue, but it doesn't seem to be a bug on OP.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Interesting. I just tried out on an existing post and it didn't work for me. THEN I created a new test post and it worked fine. I wonder what the arcane formula is for when it works and when it doesn't. I feel like I must be missing something.
    Post edited by madartiste on
  • saethone
    saethone
    textile and html interact strangely when they are close. try making sure there is a blank space above and below the . Kind of random, but it may be the issue
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    I did some more experimenting.
    It seems to work if I put it in a new post, but if I then move things around when I edit it, it ceases to work. I can't seem to make it function in an existing post either.
    The blank space above and below *does* seem to be necessary.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Well, the "more" cut-tag seems to be working, but I noticed something really strange. Whenever I used it in a post, it seems to mess with the layout of the footer div. The footer seems to end up pushed up into the "main-column" div rather than actually floating at the bottom. I ended up having to remove all those cuts and everything snapped back into place. Has anyone else noticed this or did I do something truly wacky with my CSS that's causing this behavior? Any thoughts?
  • tic
    tic
    Sarahallis, can you link to a page on your Adventure Log where you've used the "more" tag and this problem is occurring? I'll take a look.
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Tic, I've removed all the tags, but I can add them back in and show you what happens. Hopefully my DM won't mind if I kind of break the page for a bit! You should know that it only happens on the main adventure log pages -- not the individual log pages since the "Read more about this entry" doesn't show up on those.

"Here's our page":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/greyhawk-636-cy-the-rise-of-asmodeus/adventure-log
    Just scroll down to the bottom to the footer and you should see what I mean.
    Also, thank you! I really appreciate the help. It took me longer than it should have to suss out what was causing that behavior in the first place.
  • tic
    tic
    Your problem is that you're clipping out a .
  • Lord_AO
    Lord_AO
    tic = Master
  • madartiste
    madartiste
    Tic: Seriously? Drat! I didn't even think of that. I thought it was behaving like I was missing a tag but couldn't find where it was supposed to go. It seems so simple, but there's no way it would've occurred to me on my own. Thank you for saving my sanity, Tic!
    Post edited by madartiste on