Politics and Gaming

Baalshamon
Baalshamon
edited July 2012 in General Discussion
OP is a gaming site for gamers and I personally feel it is no place for politics. I am noticing a trend amongst gamers to put ip political icons on their profile. It makes me have no desire to talk to them much less, look at their page. I could care less who you want for president or any other position. Keep that info in the political forums and facebook. If I desire to be swayed to any politcal body I will seek you out but until then please keep your politics to yourself.

thankyou

Comments

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    amen - stephen
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Here Here!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I don't mind too much but my preference is for no political slogans.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• AnonymousOne
    AnonymousOne
    The very fact that you feel the need to bring this up SW means one of two possible things:

1.) You are irrationally wedded to your own ideas and are not willing to extend the concept of "freedom of thought and expression" to others.

2.) You are incredibly thin-skinned.

I don't care that someone has an Obama O or Romney R next to their name. I'm here to build a badass wiki and chronicle an amazing campaign, the fact that someone wants to expose opinions I may disagree with is of no matter to me.
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    "The very fact that you feel the need to bring this up SW means one of two possible things:

1.) You are irrationally wedded to your own ideas and are not willing to extend the concept of “freedom of thought and expression” to others.

I don’t care that someone has an Obama O or Romney R next to their name. I’m here to build a badass wiki and chronicle an amazing campaign, the fact that someone wants to expose opinions I may disagree with is of no matter to me".

Really... AnonymousOne, for real...

The very fact you felt the need to post opposition to SW's thought would seem to nullify your statement of "the fact that someone wants to expose opinions I may disagree with is of no matter to me". so this means one of three possible things:

1.) You are irrationally wedded to your own ideas and are not willing to extend the concept of “freedom of thought and expression” to others.

3.) You make statements that are disingenuous.

SW is a good guy and one of the finest represenatives in/of the portal community. His page is easily in the top 10 on the portal. If you really are "here to build a badass wiki and chronicle an amazing campaign", perhaps you should check his page out and learn something.

Leonidas300
    "Manifestation of Chaos":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/metzger
  • AnonymousOne
    AnonymousOne
    Sweet Jesus, We keep this up we will be caught in a recursion...

The point Leo, can I call you Leo?, is that I would side with Voltaire:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

I'm not sure what the rules of the board are, given that it's a "private" community. But while he has a right to his say, so do others.

I think my point is ... can't we just let sleeping dogs lie and just roll some dice?

(BTW, sorry guys, I'm quitting nicotine and ... I'm a little more testy than usual. Please bear with me.)
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    As one who has quit nicotine in the last 5 years, after more than 20 years of use, I am willing to let sleeping dogs lie....
    While my first instinct is to side w/ Leonidas, especially agreeing that STLN and Stephen are top 10 campaigns (behind mine... come on, you did this to me once, Mr. Wollett, you did not think I would not return the favor... )
    I am one for dropping this thread and letting gaming be gaming, politics be politics, and lets just move on....
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011
    "OP's COTM April 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/a-god-rebuilt-aprils-cotm/

Just trying to help out.

• FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    I love lamp.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Saxon for Prime Minister

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    @ AnonymousOne

Yes - you may call me Leo and Yes I agree we can let sleeping dogs lie and roll some dice, I can empathize with the testiness that comes with quitting the lung rockets.
  • dragoner
    dragoner
    I haven't noticed this anywhere, with the election drawing near, I am not surprised.