Weird Advertising Links on Wiki...

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf
edited July 2012 in General Archive
Weird Advertising Links on Wiki...

Today, all of a sudden, I am noticing some weird links on my wiki that have never been present before. On certain abritrary words, they are coloured with a double underline and when you click them they seem to take one to an advert for either Amazon or Bing.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, what is it all about? It's not very RPG!!!!

twiggyleaf
"Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
(a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I hope this is an error that is going to be fixed because I must also add that it has ruined some of my forum links and I find it most objectionable!

Inner Council Member

• Langy
    Langy
    Can you give an example of where you're seeing these? I couldn't see any after a quick look-through your campaign, and it sounds a lot like something malware will do to your computer, especially if those links appear elsewhere than on OP.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Langy

You may be right. I have never seen this before on any site on my computer and usually keep anti malware up at all times but I guess sometimes really persistent bugs can get through. I tried to take a snapshot but it wouldn't work.

If you look at the first page of my ADVENTURE LOGS, there are about six words as coloured links with DOUBLE underlines, which I did not create. All of them link to some advert or other. I would be very grateful if you take a look and see if you see them.

The "linked" words are cloud, light, obsidian, event, claim, Quest and Heart. If you can't see them they must be on my computer. Please let me know.

And if it looks like some horrid malware, do you have any ideas about what I should do. I have already tried a SYSTEM RESTORE which didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for any anticipated help.

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

Inner Council Member

• WiseOldOwl
    WiseOldOwl
    I don't see the links; looks like it may be local. Browser plugin?

Walter
  • Langy
    Langy
    Nope, I'm not seeing those links, either. Looks like you've got something wrong with your computer.

As MugMug mentions, a browser plugin or toolbar could be the culprit. I'd suggest going into the settings for whatever browser you use and making sure any plugins you're using are supposed to be there.

I'd also suggest running a virus scan and a spyware/malware/adware scan. I'd suggest whatever antivirus program you have and "Spybot Search and Destroy":http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html, but whichever one you're used to would probably work fine.

Let us know how it turns out!
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I also do not see those links! Malware Bytes is also a good scan program.

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks for all advice. For anyone else that encounters this problem, it is a Malware Virus that seems to have been linked to "MYWEB SEARCH" and "FUNWEB PRODUCTS"

My own antivirus programme didn't pick them up and was in fact partially disabled. Neither Windows Defender nor Malwarebytes picked it up, but Spybot did, although I had to do it three times (not knowing about the right click for Windows Vista). So after about 10 hours and after changing my Antivirus Programme, I finally seem to have sorted it.

Now I can start on updating my campaign for startup next week. Thanks to all advice offered! (And sorry, OP, for thinking it was you. I should have known better. Blame my inferior tech skills!)

twigs

Inner Council Member

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Yikes! I stand corrected. This wicked virus has come back. Spybot seemed to work for a while, but all of a sudden, the problem has returned. I will have to do another Spybot blast and look into this further, but if anyone else has had a similar experience, I sure would appreciate any advice....

twigs.

Inner Council Member

• Sorwen
    You might use trend micro's online virus checker "http://housecall.trendmicro.com/":http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. I've found it is good as a second check.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Thanks for all the advice. After trying several things to no avail, I have reformated the machine and installed a new operating system. Drastic effects call for drastic measures All is now well (...until the next BUG creeps in)

twigs

Inner Council Member

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Power Word Format, love that spell

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    LOL DMLoki

No Saving Throw for BUGS!

twigs

Inner Council Member