Help a new DM with a new race

AikoXenon
edited October 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
I have only been a DM a few times and I would like some advice on how to balance the new Race I'm making for The 3.5 campaign I will be starting soon. I want this to be a basic player race with no LA if possible.
Here is what i have so far:

Attuned Racial traits
-+2 Dexterity, - 2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
-Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character
Attuned base land speed is 20 feet.
-Attune self: An Attuned Character can attune its self with an element for a short time each day. The element they are attuned to is selected first level and grants different abilities depending on the chosen element. Attune self can be used once per day and lasts a number of rounds equal to

Comments

• magavendon
    magavendon
    Just to make sure, in attune self did you mean for that to be 1/2 class level or 1/2 character level. It doesn't make sense if it's class level, unless you have some other ideas behind that.

Furthermore, two negative ability scores seems like a lot (to me) and probably only needs just the -2 WIS or the -2 CHA. It might be interesting if you base the negative off of whatever element they choose for them self. Like have them lose 2 WIS if they choose Fire or Air and instead lose 2 CHA if they choose Water or Earth.

The +2 to whatever skill that is associated with any particular element. Is this bonus only available during attunement? If so I think you should change it to a constant bonus based on the element they chose, unless you change the attune self ability (which I was thinking might work for bonuses like that if you just make it a number of rounds per day they can use it).

Also, the Fast Healing 1 is extremely powerful for 1st level characters and still powerful for a few levels thereafter. If you keep them away from large bodies of water (semi-railroading) at those early level then its not that big of a deal.

Finally, I've tried creating home brew content for my own games and have some difficulties making things balanced myself (until after a lot of test play) so you might just look at my advice for ideas.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I actually agree with magavendon's suggestions- they are really good ones! Overall, really awesome! Good luck!

killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• AikoXenon
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions
    The different ability scores for each element was actually my first idea for this race.
    I will also be trying to make a few racial feats for each element that should be interesting.
    Here is how I changed it.

Attuned Racial traits
    -Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character
    -Attuned base land speed is 20 feet.
    -Attune self: An Attuned Character can attune its self with an element for a short time each day. The element they are attuned to is selected first level and grants different abilities depending on the chosen element. Attune self can be used once per day and lasts a number of rounds equal to
    Post edited by AikoXenon on
  • uxsvent
    if you give the healing devotion feat instead of fast healing it balances it out nice. it is out of the complete champion. basically 1/day gain fast healing 1 for 1 min. as you go up in level it increases by one every 5 or 6 levels. also if your character gains turn attempts you can use more than once. but it is not required to use the feat. also i agree you only need a -2 to one of your stats and the race is still balanced. all in all good job.
  • AnonymousOne
    AnonymousOne
    Given how absurdly overpowered gnomes like the Whisper Gnome are, I think you're more than okay. Let's face it, fast healing is nice, but at higher levels I'd rather have the bonus feat.

All-in-all I think you have an interesting race to work with that can provide an early game boost to the character, this does depend on what level you start at. Given how many players powergame I wouldn't worry about the fact healing too much. I'd play it and see what you think).

I know this isn't the CharOp boards but I don't think fast-healing is an attribute requirement for anything game breaking.