How-to: Custom Wiki Sidebar

2»

Comments

• Takissis
    Takissis
    Kassious, I have used both FF and Chrome and it works for me. Can you put up a link to your campaign and maybe one of us coders can take a look at it?
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Takissis, I can confirm that it seems to be working fine on both Firefox and Chrome. Also, lookin' pretty sweet, Anev!
  • firebird12
    firebird12
    This is awesome, thanks gnunn!

Is there a way to put this into some sort of text file that I can link to in all of my wiki entries (sort of like a server-side include)? I've got the layout and such pretty much finalized, but if I decide to change something, I'd have to have to edit dozens of entries.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    Firebird,

Unfortunately, OP does not currently support CSS templates, and I'm 99% sure it does not allow content to be pulled dynamically from another source like a text or xml file. Right now, any UI needs to be hard coded into each page.

That being said, I have recently implemented a strategy, which I find helps tremendously on the maintenance end. I have created template documents in Evernote, which include the code for various page types (section pages, adventure logs etc.) When I want to update or create a new page, I simply plug the page content into the content section of my template and copy and paste to the wiki.

The advantage of setting up these templates outside of OP is that you can gray out the code that needs to stay the same from page to page, so you are less likely to alter it by accident and it is easier to spot the content in the mass of code.

I feel like using this strategy has made my page update process much quicker than it used to be.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    I'm rebooting the Spelljoined pages soon to include Gnunn's sidebar. Tweaking it now. Thanks for this.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• wolfhound
    wolfhound
    I'm not home to test this myself or I wouldn't bother asking but... since this menu style is within the main live area of the site; iPad 2's running Safari (that normally ignore the more common left floating menus) will now display this menu, correct?
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Okay, all installed and SO MUCH better! Gnun, you're the man!
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/spelljoined

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Silly DMLoki, you know how to link.
    Seriously folks, "Spelljoined":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/spelljoined is a must read!! I check out the adventure logs regularly- great stuff!

killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Thanks killervp! I'm flattered, and must point out that is mostly because of the wonderfully talented players I've got who actually write journals! Hope you like the new layout and functionality, I've separated out the journals and such to make them easier to access.

Gnun is getting added to my credits page for the wonderful work on the side navbar.

• Zeram
    Zeram
    I incorporated gnunn and sabotender's sidebar on my wiki page but now I cannot edit the page after i initially inputted the script and save the page. I mouse over the edit button but I cannot select it and I believ it's due to the sidebar being there. How can I fix this? I'm pretty much handcuffed if I cannot edit the pages where that sidebar is located.
  • vstraydogstrutv
    vstraydogstrutv
    That's really really weird. Have you tried clearing your browser's cache and reloading?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Ahhh! I think I know your problem Zeram - I ran into that problem when I was creating the floating sidebar. The problem occurs due to one of the div's having a width that's much too wide.

To edit the pages, just log in and go to the webpage - then select the HTML section and append "/edit" to the end of it.

This should allow you to get at the code in order to trim down one of the divs... if the code is what I think it is, the outermost div is too big, and can be shrunk to 1px. If you need more help, post or PM the code to me and I'll look at it.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks Rase... Same advice as above...

killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• Zeram
    Zeram
    I decided to go with gnunn's sidebar due to a player's problems with viewing the page with the sabotender sidebar in his IE browser. This fixed the problem and with Rase's help I've figured out how to edit the wiki page from html. Thanks a lot for the help!
    Post edited by Zeram on
  • EndlessBard
    EndlessBard
    Sir!

Thank you, Gnunn, for working all this out. I've been struggling with it for a while now and this just nails it. Great work!