Going from Dungeon Master to Writer

Turncoat
Turncoat
edited January 2012 in General Archive
Over the years, my passion for worldbuilding has brought about the creation of a very detailed game world. When talking to people about the setting, I've been told time and time again that I should write a book and make mad stacks. As I developed as a writer, I began writing short stories, and am now in the process of plotting out a novel.

I have often seen people ask about this possibility on the official Wizards forums, and it is usually met with a fairly vitriolic response of "NO YOU CAN'T DO THIS, ENJOY GETTING BEATEN INTO THE GROUND BY THE WIZARDS OF THE COAST LEGAL TEAM!" However, I believe that I have crafted enough of a unique setting, with new races and interesting takes on classic ones, to differentiate from your standard D&D-type world and story.

What I'm curious about is this: Has anyone on this forum made the transition from DM to writer, or know of someone who has. It's something that I would really like to know more about.

Clarification: I'm talking about writing a book, even launching a series, set in the world I've developed.

Comments

• CuRoi
    CuRoi
    If you have a race named "shorties" that are hairy footed foodies that are decent thieves despite a lack of desire for excitement, expect Tolkien's estate to contact you. If you make an octopus headed dude called a "Brain Sucker" expect WoTC legal to contact you. Anyway, it's hard to say what you are looking for here.

If by writer you mean you have a wholly unique fantasy world you are writing a novel about that steers clear of the WOTC property then I'm not sure why a novel would be a problem. If you mean you are writing 4e DnD game material to sell, you will want to find an official publisher to avoid legal woes. The OGL died an edition and a half ago...

I am pursuing writing novels, short stories, and the like - but not RPG material.
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    I would be very surprised if George R R Martin did not play, or use to play RPG's.
  • Ultor
    Ultor
    George RR Martin certainly used to play Superworld. Many of the characters in the first Wild Cards stories derived from his Superworld campaign. One of the characters in an early book is even credited to Steve Perrin. The Great and Powerful Turtle was GRRM's own character.
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    I knew it!!! Wouldn't it be epic to game with him??
  • Vaxfiend
    Vaxfiend
    I am absolutely certain all you have to do is change a bit of the scenery and set dressing, names of things, and they can't touch you.
  • JohnHutchenreuther
    JohnHutchenreuther
    While I haven't made the transition myself, I can say for certain that others have done so, namely Raymond E Feist. His entire Riftwar Cycle novel series is set in a world originally made as an alternative RPG world to the D&D world. Jim Butcher also is definitely a gamer and writer simultaneously. For a while, after the Dresden Files RPG came out, he purportedly ran a game for his friends in that rules set.

And yes, I do think it would be epic to be at a gaming table with George RR Martion, Raymond E. Feist, or Jim Butcher. Or all of them, as long as I'm dreaming.
  • Ereshal
    Heh, playing in a Dresden Files RPG run by Jim Butcher would be surreal.
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    I would go to that game session with you John! And I would bring chips, 7 layer dip, beer and another writer, JRR Tolkien.
  • RobertBenton
    RobertBenton
    Do yourself a favor and contact TOR or WotC with your material. If it is good, then you have some big companies in the fantasy genre on your side.