Destructive Players

Baalshamon
Baalshamon
edited January 2012 in General Discussion
How do you deal with a player that always creates characters that do not benefit but rather harm the party? Even when he makes up a family member of one of the other characters he tries to sabatage the party in every action they take.

Comments

• kitgun
    kitgun
    could just play him at his own game and pull some things out of the blue to make his destruction, constructive. (ex. he kills the local baker, turns out he was a ninja that had killed the baker and disguised as him to poison you all.) that or just smack him on the nose with a newspaper.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    lol, I like the newspaper idea. I dont have this propblem in my group but am trying to spur conversation to help gm's that do.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    I've ran into this one too many times in recent years, the best answer I can give is to address the person privately (or publically, depending on their personality) and let them know that it's not going to fly. Especially if you're hosting in your own home, there's no need to take shit from someone regardless of how good a friend they are or how long you've gamed with them.
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    I'd probably do something similar to what Dread suggests and let the player know that isn't a good idea and either the character should have a "miraculous change of heart" (or whatever), a new character needs to be made, or (as a last resort) that player won't be allowed to play.

I've had it happen a couple of time, no repeat offenders fortunately, and in one-time situations I've let the players in-character handle the situation. The jerk character is usually offed and then the player gets the hint and makes someone more appropriate.
  • DreadGazebo
    DreadGazebo
    Unfortunately I've found that it is usually less of a 'this player always creates _characters_ that are trouble' situation, and more of a 'this _player_ is trouble' one.
  • Savannah
    Savannah
    Get them away from the group, explain why they're being disruptive, and ask why. The results of that discussion will determine what happens next.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    I agree with all of these- bottom line is that if a character/person is going to destroy your group, tell him/her that either they toe the line or they are out... one of the reasons I play a game with alignments is that it helps keep people in line- in the beginning of games there are a few "Your character would not do/say that".
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    I HATE rifts well ALL alignments in general and simply ignore them. My players for the most part stick to a character pretty well. Sometimes they do things in character that causes problems for the group, but in general this is in character and everyone accepts that sometimes the person gets the group in trouble. Now if they feel that its a character thing and not a player thing they roll with the punches. However if its a player thing then the others in the group run him off, by cutting him no slack, not coming to his aid, or just flat out telling him in and out of character that his actions are not acceptable. This usually works by initiating PvP and well the offender usually dies. This is all done before me the GM had to get involved. I would have an open and frank discussion at the table with everyone chiming in and the GM acting as a mediator, but thats me.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    I gotta agree with dread on this one. The whole point of getting together and spending all that time is to have fun, and if someone is ruining that then they shouldn't participate.
    While in the past (long ago in highschool) this was an issue, it got to a certain point and when I came back from college it was an unspoken yet understood rule between whoever was left from the old group that we wouldn't be putting up with game destroying characters and it really hasn't been a problem since. (I think most of it was maturity but some was that we got rid of certain players who to my guess probably still haven't matured...)
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    bq. I
  • AugustusGloop
    My rule of thumb is to talk to them and tell them that character freedom is important, and that you will give them a certain length of rope before you hang them. I'm fine with angry characters, but they either eventually work through it and learn how to work with the party, or rocks fall.
  • supermariodbz
    supermariodbz
    Well how I deal with it is when the destructive player causes a lot of trouble: the rogue for example. I usually give him challenges that he will need to interact with other people so that when he is in danger, he'll need to trust or work well with the other party members. And if that doesn't work then he will die from those circumstances.
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    Woah, woah woah... Why hate on the rogue? The freaking goody two-shoes paladin is the problem child! With all his talk of, "No you can't take that beggar's hat!" and "Did you just dishonorably stab that guy in the back?" even though he was about to smash a giant club through the pally's face...

:P
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    I would talk to the player one on one and let him know that he was being disruptive and bringing the game down for the other members, If the undesired behavior continued, I would probably go "old school" and just croak his character everytime he crossed the line; if after two or three croaked characters they did not get the hint and progressed with being disruptive I would terminate their membership in the group.
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    In short (or rather long), remember that the GM makes the rules & the world. The DM has the power to authorize or reject any character for any reason or no reason, *but* a wise DM doesn't reject characters out of hand; the DM should provide expected parameters in which the character is to be constructed (e.g. core books only, no psionics, etc.). More importantly this can be used to facilitate a cohesive party. I've found it a good idea to have the players agree on a "party alignment," from which no character will stray more than one degree (e.g. a NG party could have LG, NG, CG, or N characters), a policy that can be bent or broken as needed (e.g. "we _really_ need that monk/paladin"). In some games it may be appropriate for the DM to designate a party alignment, or at least to forbid alignments. I've played many a good game with good DMs who simply forbid the evil alignment (or progression thereto).

The DM may also constrain certain character types or even require things such as a "minimum intelligence/wisdom" so that a character doesn't become completely disruptive. A good DM should probably provide equal opportunity for the party to resist or avoid the attempts of a troublemaker. Creative solutions I've seen include curtailing disruptive in ways that lead the rest of the party into a new adventure (e.g. the trouble-maker is captured or falls to some trap or other hazard). Such may also be opportunities for the party to effectively rid themselves of the troublemaker.

*Caution*: in-game solutions without out-of-game counterparts may only exacerbate the problem. If you opt for an in-game solution and don't discuss the matter with the player, the player may think you are simply spiting their character, gameplay, or even them, which can strain a friendship and is precisely the opposite of (what should be) the goal.

A DM with such a problem-player who hasn't already, I'd recommend consulting the DMs guide (or section), if they haven't already, in whatever source-material they have access to; such guides usually have some good pointers on how to deal with such issues. Remember, just as the world doesn't revolve around the player(s), niether is the DM the center (unless that's been clearly established and agreed upon by all involved); in other words, the DM may unwittingly be the cause of a perceived problem-character. You should encourage your players to discuss such things with you asap, and not wait for you to initiate a discussion. Remind them to share their character goals with you, so that you can at least facilitate them (which is why they're playing, after all). Don't forget the player's perspective!

- Beaumains
  • AnthonyDluzak
    AnthonyDluzak
    Give him a boot to the head.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I've found, a whiskey bottle to the side of the head works pretty good too
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Ah, Anthony, I see that you have studied Tae Kwon Leap! Most impressive.
    killervp
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    @StephenWollett but only if it's the really cheap stuff (and even then I cringe at the thought of a smashed bottle of Johnny Walker Red)! Matter of fact, best to just forgo the whiskey bottle altogether and just smash up the Gin bottle instead. That I could live with.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    Steve; not a bad idea, as long as it's whiskey and not whisky; that way we can split the Johnny Walker, or something better; an Aberlour, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Macallan, ... maybe a Laphroaig?
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Arsheesh- Johnny Walker must be Blue or Black, or send it back.

Just trying to help out.

• arsheesh
    arsheesh
    @Killer - Don't like Green or Gold? Actually, I'm not really a huge fan of JW myself, but even low-grade whiskey (or whisky, if one want's to make something of the distinction) is still whiskey, and an that basis valuable in my book.

@Beaumains - A Scotch man eh? I do love me a good Scotch. In fact, Laphroaig Quarter cask is one of my all time favorites. Of course, Glenlivet is always good (and the 18 year is particularly so), and the Macallan 18 year is wonderful. Still haven't tried Aberlour yet, though its next up on my hit list (that and "Lagavulan 16 year":http://scotchinfo.com/blog/?p=107, which I've heard is life transforming). Course I'm also a Bourbon man as well. Course, I also like Rye and Irish, and Canadian ain't bad either. I guess what I'm saying, is that I love all of the many splendored varieties of the Aqua Vitae.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Ooooooooh! I couldn't help joining in on the Whisky front. There are such varieties of _uisge beatha_ (water of life) that anyone who at least likes the stuff can easily have a favourite that is almost unique to them among their friends. I agree with Beaumains and Arsheesh and my absolute favourite is an 18 year old Macallan. (Even a 10 year old for that matter). My sister likes Laphroig but I am not am not a peaty taste man myself. Other recommendations of mine might include Bruichladdich, Tamnavulin and Glenfarclas Cask Strength (60% - but also excellent taste). Generally, I would prefer a Speyside to a Highland or Island Malt, but being a Glasgow man, I might also recommend a Lowland malt like Auchentoshan. Even some blends are worthy - Chivas Regal Royal Salute springs to mind! And let's not forget about WHISK*E*Y - you will also find it very hard to beat a 25 year old Bushmills or Powers Gold Label.

I am not an expert on Bourbon but I have thoroughly enjoyed Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and Wild Turkey on several occasions and can report that the Japanese Suntory will not make you sick either (unless you drink a whole bottle and mix it with beer and wine)! Now, I fear I've said too much!

twigs
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Twiggy- I cannot argue with a man who gets some straight from the source.
    Sheesh- Man, get some Aberlour right quick. My personal favorite for under $100 US...

Just trying to help out.

• RobertBenton
    RobertBenton
    I have fun with them. Right now I don't have a "destructive" player but I have one that likes to metagame. Everytime this happens I say "There is a cold chill in the air" and let him know he has metagamed. When I first did this he asked what it meant and I said, "For everytime you metagame, after the chill is in the air, your crit-fail range goes up by 4."
    He raised all sorts of hell at first, with my response being that he did not have to play and a big smile. He said something under his breath and kept playing. About half an hour later, he did it again. "The wind nips at your fingers. Crit-fail range now 1-5 for (his character)." More hell, more big smiles from me. The next game he started metagaming about 20 minutes in. "There is a cold chill in the air." "No wait! What I wanted to say was...." Try this out. And always remember- Its your world, they just play in it.
  • Athear
    Okay my issue is one of my potential players is complaining about undead in Arkhosia, saying that undead don't fit but I find they do because the destruction of Arkhosia was a wrenching occurance and many of the dead wouldn't rest easy. unfortunately the person is a complete rules whore (excuse my language). I'd like to know how to get him to stop whining about Every little detail. that isn't in the rule books.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    To quote RobertBenton above- "And always remember- Its your world, they just play in it." Remember, every RPG I have ever played encourages imagination- and what is more imaginative than creating your own story? I always ask my players what they want to say in a game- that way they have helped create the world, and therefore not only don't complain, but enjoy it more.
    killervp

Just trying to help out.

• Athear
    yah thats true, And once I get to a point where I can I will be asking what there goals are and such to incorporate it into the game I'd like to make my world large and explosive. yet immersive enough to actually get every one involved.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    Every game seems to have one nay sayer, one rule lawyer, and one guy who makes ou just want to rip out your hair. Amazingly it almost always is one guy who incorporates all three traits. I started bringing a nerf gun to the game and shooting people who act up. It make me feel better and gets the point across real good without actually hurting anyone. As KVP said, its your game so play it the way you want to.
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    I'm a rules lawyer in games that I play in, but only because I don't like surprises. This is probably because I'm very tactical minded, because it only really becomes an issue in combat for me.

I don't like it when I know how a rule works (or at least thought I did) and move my character accordingly only to have the DM screw me because they didn't know how some particular thing worked (or in a few cases made up extra stuff and never told me about it). Without going into tons of different situations I've been in, I'm just going to say that my characters get screwed over A LOT because I think of too many awesome things to do that hinge on the fact that certain rules are in place only to have the DM disregard them.

I know that doesn't have much to do with the current thread, but I just wanted to point out that being a rules lawyer isn't necessarily a bad thing (also, I couldn't help myself the rant just came out).

On the other hand, as a GM, I can see where sometimes having a rules lawyer in your group can be really annoying if they're a big jerk about it. ;)