Wiki counter?

redstar
redstar
edited March 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• redstar
    redstar
    Hey,

I know we have the favorites and the number of votes, but would it be possible to get a "times viewed"? Sometimes it's nice to know someone else is looking at my wiki other than me :)
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    (laugh) I would totally drive up the count on "my" campaign if that went in. My fellows appreciate the narratives I'm writing for the Vale, but I know none of them go back and look it over nearly as often as I do. =)
  • Micah
    Micah
    I'm on the fence about this. A page view counter wouldn't be too hard to do, but they can be a mixed blessing. Sometimes it's better not to know.

Anyways, it's not a high priority right now. You'll have to go by comments and votes for the near future.
  • Charsen
    Charsen
    I'd probably be sad if I actually knew how many unique visits I get compared to the time I put into writing the page... heh. I know my own DM doesn't even look at our game here... Ooh boy, not bitter, not bitter.. :P
  • redstar
    redstar
    Come on now... no one is even a _little_ interested to know? It would be a like a "hot or not" counter for your page :)
  • DMaple
    DMaple
    Some of us prefer blissful ignorance or the self-delusion of believing that your page is being visited every 5 minutes.
  • Figment
    Figment
    bq. Come on now… no one is even a little interested to know? It would be a like a “hot or not” counter for your page :)

Truth be told, I don't care either way. However, if you're going to do it make sure to do it right. For instance, events on the Phoenix Con Games web site have an "Event Counter" which tracks both "Unique Page Views" and "Total Views" as you can see here from "this 2005 event":http://www.conevents.com/page/event/phx_event.asp?EID=402 (Scroll down to the bottom of the web page.)
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I'd take one person posting a comment questioning something in my narratives over 50 people hitting the site and not saying anything.
  • Micah
    Micah
    bq. However, if you’re going to do it make sure to do it right.

That (along with some performance questions) is my main issue. Most counters are very simple things that track how many times the page is requested. So, instead of tracking _visitors_ (which is what most people care about) they track _pageviews_. The distinction is that the same visitor can request the page multiple times. Each refresh, each reload, each time they go back the number goes up. That's usually not that helpful, especially with a wiki page where you yourself are editing it over and over.

Also, not to mention the fact that unless you filter out spiders (like Googlebot and other web crawlers), your numbers will be artificially inflated.

So, in order to get the numbers to be meaningful, it would require a fair amount of effort on our end. Our assumption is that most people would rather we be working on other, more directly-useful stuff.

Still, I do understand the desire to know how popular your stuff is. It's a question we all ask...