Strangest thing that your players have come up with in a campaign

CuRoi
CuRoi
edited January 2012 in Player Lounge
I think I may need a bit of counseling. I know, I know, this isn't the place. This a place for gamers not shrinks. For people that all pretty much spend their free time playing out roles in fantasy worlds - maybe closer to the antithesis of a shirnk. But you are perhaps the only people that will understand. My players...they created a hellish monstrosity at our gaming table during our last session. It's vile, putrid mass has so vivdly scarred my imagination, I'm not sure I can sit down with them and enter into our Dresden Files universe ever again. It's like flipping on the Sight and looking in a God's filthy gym shorts.

In desperation, they agreed to colloborate with Darryl, the hillbilly necromancer who rattles out the heart beats his creations need in order to animate by using a pair of bone spoons. Darryl, at the time, was beyond even his normal "special" self due to a brush with insanity through his own use of the Sight. This unholy union of desperation and player desire for entertainment created a demon from the firey depths of hell (or someone's backyard grill.) They interrupted a football game fourth quarter to create a golem of dead, fetid flesh. A golem constructed from the most abundant dead tissue Darryl could get his hands on: hot dogs...

Read more at "Summer Crossroads":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/summer-crossroads

So, intro to my campaign and intro to a discussion - what's the strangest thing your players have come up with? I've been gaming for 20+ years and honestly don't have many that top this one. I could scrounge up a few more but would love to hear yours!

Comments

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Once as a "terrorist" action the players flooded an entire mall with raw sewage.
  • Morrinn
    Morrinn
    Damn it man, You are the DM! Take back control of your game the only way possible.
    OUTDO THEM! Introduce something so horrible and twisted they'll never dare to think about crossing the line again!
  • KenSee
    KenSee
    ^^^^This. Morrinn is so right.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    I am scared ...

*Notes from this weeks session (Final Meet-N-Greet):*

We still have room on the roster for 6 more players.

Below is an update on our final Meet-N-Greet session. Next week we will start actual world creation on the 14.

After doing a bit of friendly chatting, we decided to run a demo game of Dawn of Worlds so people could get a feel for what it is like and what we will be doing next week. I may be overstating things perhaps, but speaking for myself at the very least, we had one hell of a good time. It's been a long time since I had played Dawn of Worlds and it was good to refresh myself and also get ready for the 14th.

I picked up a bunch of "lessons" learned too when dealing with that game and new players and also how Dawn of Worlds may impact our upcoming game. That will absolutely help when we play next week.

I am not going to go into the details of lessons learned as that is another post for another time. Instead I will give a snapshot of some of the highlights of the game we played. Remember it was a practice run so none of this is "official" but it should give people an idea of what is possible...

The first race of people in the world were Lizardmen who were technologically advanced (think clockwork & machinery)
    They suffered an early disaster due to a volcanic eruption off the coast leading to a Mega Tsunami which wiped out their tech and early city. (leaving behind some interesting ruins.)

They later started practicing necromancy and other dark arts and suffered a civil war.

There arose a race of warlike cat / lion people who later:
    Enslaved the nearby Dwarves,
    Learned to ride Velocioraptor like mounts and formed massive cavalries,
    Went to war against a race of Atheist Humans who basically were hardcore science types venerating Math and Engineering. The humans also had a big time spy network.

There was (I stress was) a race of Cephalopod people who were building lots and lots of temples for some reason on a series of archipelagos off the coast ... unfortunately their god __ate__ them.

The only thing saving the map from the hordes of Inuit Gnomes (who fight & hunt with poisons) / Beastmen / Human Wilding alliance from coming south and invading the fertile lands was the legionnaire like Dwarves. They held the mountain passes and venerated a god whose main aspect was a Bushido / Honor like system. Those Dwarves also seemed pretty pissed at what the Cat people did to their kin to the east.

There is a lot more that went on in the 4 hours we played It was definitively crazy good source material. (I am saving it for sure) I didn't even mention the tribal Serbian / Albanian type Elves who lived in the jungles and only cared about their genocidal war against one another (when you're 700 years old you learn to hold serious grudges). There was a "forbidden zone" in the middle of the continent obscured by "the mists" that lead to a spirit / fey realm that the necromancers got interested in. There was all sorts of other stuff going on as well. Lots of gods and their avatars strode the earth. but it's way too long to type besides this post is long enough and I am lazy.

If anyone wants a copy of the map or session notes I will happily provide if you email / message me.

The game we used to do this (all in 4 hours) is free / open source and is a download on the campaign website.

In fairness to that group of players some of that stuff was me.

I'm looking forward to the 14th when we create the campaign world for real!
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    While playing Immortal in a Cyberpunk setting the party was enjoying their new found powers and young gods. They walked the streets, messed with people, and had a grand old time. At some point they had to track down a renegade who had become a drove (Real bad guy serving a being like cthulhu). The series of clues led them to an old homosexual homeless dude. Now the party could have used their powers to telepathically strip the thoughts from the guy. They could have used their powers to force the guy to talk. They could have used their powers to steal the information from his lifeless corpse. No the party decided to let the mortal be in control. He wanted to be fraked by a god. Be fraked real good and hard. He wanted to go down in the history books as being the first man impregenated by a god. So the party put forth their best man to do the nasty and he did so with relish. When done they got their info and then they lit the guy on fire and stripped the info from his corpse. Just to make sure he wasnt lieing. Now that was one strange night.

-Steve
    "Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
    "Duskreign's CotM December 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/wyrmshadow/wikis/122011
    "CotM January 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/star-trek-late-night-januarys-cotm/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=star-trek-late-night-januarys-cotm
  • CuRoi
    CuRoi
    HurstGM - Funny, their first shot was a bomb threat which the party decided the partly insane hillbilly necromancer should make. He completely flubbed it by taking it way over the top causing the police to just "step up" security without evacuating thousands of people in the 4th quarter.

Morinn - I lost it when the Hillbilly Necromancer started slathering himself with condiments amid a circle of power formed of hot dogs and hamburger patties. At the moment there was no outdoing them. Dont worry, the BBG made good on his escape. He will get his revenge!

MazeController - sounds like a fun campaign! To tame for this thread though, heh.

StephenWollet - Yeah - that's what I'm talkin about! Sick twisted wierd stuff your players do (well, have their characters do, I don't even want to know what my players are up to in their free time after last game...)

I also feel compelled to add there were no drugs or alchohol involved in the making of this RPG horror story and it was in the middle of the afternoon and not the wee hours when people normally get silly.

Lessee...In a Serenity campaign I had a PC set up a live hand grenade trap to "surprise" a fellow player when he entered his room. Of course, he was ignoring the fact the target was the demo expert and had enough high explosive material in his room to do more than make a boom-boom. Blew a whole in the side of the ship as the target narrowly escaped (though ALL of his stuff was sucked into the black). This isn't the twisted part yet. The players then decide, to a man (err and a woman) that they would head to the next closest (not the closest) spacestation for repair. Nishka owned it, they knew this, I have no clue what they were thinking. They got repaired, and I, the GM, sorted through my tackle box to find the biggest, most painful, barb encrusted hook I could find. Ended a campaign on the end of that line.
    Post edited by CuRoi on
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    CuRoi, that's one of the more creative campaign plugs I've seen! Sounds like you've got one hell of a party, and quite frankly, as a former GM, I'm envious.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    CuRoi- awesome stuff!!!
    I have a few-
    1- Two characters decided to find a way to meld together (a necromancer & a wizard used a unique set of spells to make this happen- the pcs paid them, then killed them). The single new very powerful character killed 3 other members of the party before the remaining 3 defeated them.
    2- The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man Golem... really...
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    Duskreign's "COTM for November 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    We did the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man in a call of cthulhu campaign. Great stuff!!!
  • CuRoi
    CuRoi
    Arsheesh - Thanks for the compliments!

Killervp - that's just wrong! I can safely say I have never had players meld together and turn on the party, that's completely a first I've even heard of that! I did have a "confused" player nearly TPK everyone.

Barbarian gets hit by confusion - turns and strikes nearest player. Party cleric. He rolls a crit and does near max damage with his great axe. Ouch, cleric almost meets his god. Party decides to flee cause they have no way to dispel the confusion and the bad guy is kicking their arse (along with crazy barb). They all teleport out to the Sorcereress' college for adventurers (Oh Leadership, how I loath thee...) The Barbarian, still confused, attacks nearest - the party cleric. The cleric had healed half his hit points and volunteered to stay by the unpredictable barbarian thinking he could take another hit.

Barbarian rolls a crit - again. Again, it is near maximum damage. Cleric drops with like -40 HPs. Barbarian goes on a rampage killing "students" as the completely tapped out party struggles to find a solution (well, except the mage who just wisely ran the heck away.) Finally a 3rd level cleric student is inspired by his Sorceress leader to drop a hold person on the barb. Barb fails, crisis shut down (prior to the 3.5 will save bonus while raging and get a save each round under hold person. With those, not sure who could have stopped him...)
  • Kallak
    Kallak
    Question, is the banner image supposed to say "The Dresen Files RPG"? cause you have been saying "Dresden" in this post, but the image says "Dresen".
    All the best,
    - Kallak
  • CuRoi
    CuRoi
    What, do you think I'm blin? Of course it is suppose to say "Dresen". It's an RP base on a series of books by Jim Bucher using the FAE engine. Neve hear of it?
  • CuRoi
    CuRoi
    What no comment on the new banner? Heh. Hopefully the sarcasm was apparent. If not, you need to read more at "Summer Crossroads":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/summer-crossroads and train that biyatch up... :P Latest session log available courtesy Mustang.
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    I have a new one. A player gets a visit from a former lover and she informs him she has a child and it is his. She hands the character the child and tells him the child is his and she is out of here. He just stands and looks at her assets as she leaves and just shrugs. Then the baby explodes in his face, spraying the entire bar with bone and gore. The character sits up and smiles and then heads to the bar for a drink. Everyone in the bar is outraged over the exploding baby but the character just shrugs like it was no big deal.

What the hell does it take to motivate a character to action???

-Steve
    "Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
    "Duskreign's CotM December 2011":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/wyrmshadow/wikis/122011
    "CotM January 2012":http://blog.obsidianportal.com/star-trek-late-night-januarys-cotm/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=star-trek-late-night-januarys-cotm
  • CuRoi
    CuRoi
    Hmmm...think that falls under strangest things a GM has ever done :) I've got a few players that if handed that scenario would probably ask how much XP an exploding infant was worth...
  • meleaina
    meleaina
    Had a sabat campaign where we went fishing for people out the window of a bus. Tormented a little kid at an orphanage and set him up as a killer who slaughtered everyone else in the home. Also made sculptures out of the critics that bad mouthed his band. All that still pales to the hot dog golem
    Post edited by meleaina on
  • Devacorian
    Devacorian
    I had two players get crazy creative while running a D&D 3.5 campaign. One was a dragon rider and the other was a raptorran scout. They tied the raptorran to the back of the large-sized brass dragon with rope, and while the dragon rider got a charge attack, the raptorran took full attacks with skirmish damage for the fact that he was moving but not spending his move action. They called it the Dragon Kite. It broke a boss battle pretty hard...
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    I was once playing in a 3.5 campaign and was playing the group's rogue. The DM was getting really tired of me destroying things so easily and finally gave us something to fight that involved no hiding places whatsoever for me to sneak around in. Being a halfling, though, I was small so I jumped in a teammates' backpack and hid inside until that teammate was next to the opponent. I then popped out, got my massive sneak attack damage and afterwards everyone in the group was either in a backpack or carrying one with someone in it.
  • Biggles
    Absolutely brilliant idea for the hillbilly necromancer to enhance his ritual using condiments, hopefully it was chilli sauce and the golem then had a fiery aura.
    Great stuff, made me laugh.
    In th last game I ran, the party were in a tower with stairs around the edge and a 30 foot gap across the middle. They'd entered the tower from the top and it was around 200 feet straight down in the centre.
    As a beholder floated up in the middle of the tower the Dragonborn barbarian decided it would be a good idea to jump out into the middle and rodeo ride the beholder like it was a spacehopper. I gave him the smallest of chances of success but after rolling 2 20's I had to concede that lady luck was with them and the barbarian proceeded to kick the beholder in the eye with his heels.