New formatting for the characters pages

JohnHutchenreuther
JohnHutchenreuther
edited December 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
Hello! I'm relatively new around here and setting up my first campaign. I'm interested in changing the way the characters pages display characters. I'm looking to replace the existing format with a much more Wikipedia looking entry. I dislike the way it lists the short description, the author, the PC/NPC status, then the Game System right at the top. I'd ideally like to move these to the bottom of that character's write up. Also, I'd like to make it so the portrait on the right side is enclosed with a table, so I can include quick facts about that character underneath, much like you would see in Wikipedia. Where you would normally see something like in the Oscar Wilde entry on Wikipedia, they have when he was born, when he died, ect, right under the picture, I'd like to use that space to list things like race, class, alignment, ect.

It seems to be possible, based on the dynamic sheets you can select for your game system, but I have no idea how to go about doing this without using a sheet on the list. Can anyone tell me how, or point me in the direction of some instructions?

Comments

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Hey welcome to the OP. THe best way to do this is to create your own wiki page and not use the character pages directly. you can using HTML do some changes to coding but its kind of a pain. If your going to do that might as well make your own. If you need help with that let us know we are always willing to help. If you want some examples you can look at some of my pages that demonstrate different character formats.

"ocp":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/unkown-project/characters/agent-phi Standard format with window dressing
    "Broken Road":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/private-while-under-construction/wikis/sir-soren-rickard Custom made character sheet
  • JohnHutchenreuther
    JohnHutchenreuther
    I suppose that is the easiest way after all. Thanks for the suggestion. Making it part of the wiki rather than using that tab does give me full control. I don't suppose you can tell me how to redirect the tab for Characters on the default menu to redirect to the 'characters page' in my wiki?
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    There is not a way to remove/reroute the default tab, but you can create your own tab bar that goes where you want it to. Here is some basic code I use and if you need any help with it let me know. This is not my original code but one given to me by another OP user. Works great however.

Home
    LINK NAME
    LINK NAME
    LINK NAME
    LINK NAME

TEXT BODY
  • JohnHutchenreuther
    JohnHutchenreuther
    I've been using the side bar code from the basic formatting FAQ, but thanks for the share there. It's been a great find, but I worry that a well intentioned player is going to click on that characters tab and put their work in there. Perhaps I'll make a dummy character there just to get their attention and put them in the right spot.

So, as I edit this thing, I can't help but notice that some of my players get 'checked' for email updates to my wiki pages every time I edit them. My style of wiki editing is not friendly with this default, I tend to do things one picture or paragraph at a time, save, then go back to it. Also, since I'm still setting up the wiki, I'm doing several pages a day. That's a lot of spam for my players if I don't keep remembering to click those email notifications. Is there a way that I, or they, can change who gets selected by default for email notifications to keep this from being a bother?
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    They can. I have warned my players especially in the beginning when im first building or when Im making major changes to the site that THEY should uncheck the automatic updates. Otherwise they are going to get one all the time as i tinker with pages. Sometimes Ill make a page GM only so they don't get updates until i get it right then i update all the public pages. I do this with "the broken road":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/private-while-under-construction a lot. Ill get a temp let page done then race though the others with fast global cut and paste changes. Now my guys more or less leave that off and i put up important notifications in a forum or something. Like if i make a change to their character sheet adding Loot or Savior points