Using the forum for your campaign site

TheMazeController
TheMazeController
edited December 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
Hi I am looking around but I dont seem to see where this is mentioned or if it is even possible at all.

Pardon my ignorance but

Is there a way to make sections of the Forum on your campaign page private? If I want a player only section of the forum for scheduling games and internal chatter can I make a sub forum viewable only to members of the campaign?

Comments

• HurstGM
    HurstGM
    you can make the fourm posts GM only or player secret, but im not sure if you can make the entire thing private. I did the player secret thing in another game. It worked pretty well
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Hrrrmn may be an issue because it is for two groups of 10 people each. I also need to be able to browse and follow the threads in those subforums so I can be aware of game scheduling.

I am trying to facilitate 2 groups of 10 players who will be scheduling separate game times / parties as the campaign progresses. If that makes any sense. I guess you can read the first page of the site if it dosent. Yeah so I will have 20 players total though so command and control kinda becomes paramount.

"Bad Wrong Fun":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/bad-wrong-fun
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    right you will have to select both groups and then set the secret levels with each post. I had a similar thing with OCP as there were two groups of agents and some were having secret conversations.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    Sounds pretty sub optimal. I mean this is going to be various threads for weekly games from a bunch of different sources. I guess I will have to set a sub forum for each camp and let the players schedule games in their sub forums and not worry about the public at large seeing that aspect? I dont know yet I might have to train people to do it that way. Am I the only one who can set up "player secret" threads?

I guess I could just set up one player secret thread for each group and then sticky it in that sub forum and it can just be a long thread that runs on and on as people schedule games in the thread. The rest of the forum can be for regular "camp" business.

Thank you!
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Thats kind of what i did or was setting up to do. I dont know if only the GM can set up a player secret as I am always the GM. I think they (the players) can as well. What I did is set up 2 main fourms one for each of the separate parties and then the sub forms as needed. not ideal but it did seem to work before the game fell apart.
  • magavendon
    magavendon
    I don't know about the forums specifically, but one of my players wrote something on her character page and then added a bit into a GM only section so that it would be secret from the other players.

HOWEVER! She didn't realize she had to set herself as being able to see it so once she posted it, the whole thing "disappeared" for her (although I, as the GM, could still see it). So if you have your players do that make sure they remember to add themselves to the list of people that can see it.
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    I a going to set it up for them to post in as stickies, I just dont want everything public that each camp is doing to schedule games.

Not to mention I want to keep things organized and internally consistent within each camp - besides private.