"Scabbards EVERYWHERE!" - Managing Carried Items

gnunn
gnunn
edited November 2010 in General Discussion
So, my PCs are starting to get into higher levels, and as such have begun to accumulate copious amounts of loot. This has caused me to become more concerned about tracking &/or making sure they track that loot.

I pose the following questions to my fellow GMs:
1. How concerned/strict are you about your players loot tracking? Do you limit the number of weapons they can have on their person or do you run a Goldeneye-style, "I have a rocket launcher, machine gun & 12 pistols in my pocket" sort of game?
2. What methods do you use to keep track of loot & gear
3. Whose responsibility is it to track these things in your game, you? your players? 1 record keeping player?

In my game, we currently have a couple house rules related to loot & carrying capacity:
1. Magical carrying spaces like a Bag of Holding or Heward's Hand Haversack are limited only in terms of weight. Trying to puzzle piece in all of the stuff that goes in there is just not fun.
2. Each player is limited to two belt pouches, each of which can hold up to 5 potions or grenade-like weapons.
3. Wearing a full backpack (not a haversack) automatically causes your movement to be restricted as though under medium encumberance. (backpacks are awkward, regardless of how full they are. While this awkwardness wont really affect someone in full plate, it will sure inhibit a monk's ability to backflip past an enemy.)

I am also in the process of adding a couple new elements that I should have thought of a LONG time ago.
1. Unique ID numbers for each item found. These numbers use a decimal system, so the first number is the average party level when it was found, and the second is the item number. (e.g. "9.3 scroll" would be a scroll found when the party was level 9) I am currently building a spreadsheet that will key each item to it's number and which will hopefully make it easier when someone says, "Hey I have this flask of unusual liquid written on my sheet. I don't know how long it's been there, but we haven't identified it yet. do you know what it is?" With the sheet, they can just give me the item number and I'll be able to ID it without poring over past session notes for possibilities.
2. I found a huge stack of notecards at home, and am considering using them to help players better track their stored items. My thought is to treat each card as a storage space - belt pouch, backpack, haversack main pocket etc. - on which players can write their items in hopes of doing away with some of the ambiguity about exactly WHERE someone is stowing the +2 flaming greataxe they just found without forcing them to actually do more writing of things down.

Comments

• kenurion
    kenurion
    1. Strict. Yes, I do limit what they can practically carry even if it's within their nominal encumbrance rating.
    2. I use character sheets on OP to track encumbrance and practical overload. I look over players' sheets (especially low STR characters) to make sure they are taking their penalties.
    3. I haven't gone the level of gear affecting movement just b/c of its bulk yet. That's on the margin for me in terms of rules overhead vs. roleplaying benefit. Players dressed up for the ball, however, better not show up with their muddy haversacks.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    I mostly use the backpack encumberance thing as a replacement for having to calculate the weight of all the items in their pack. I find it easier to say, "backpack on? You have medium encumberance. Backpack off? You have light encumberance" than to have people constantly count up the weight of their carried items.
  • kenurion
    kenurion
    Ah, now _that_ sounds interesting... characters dumping their crap in order to flee, characters not willing to dump their crap to chase fleeing enemies who have dumped _their_ crap... I'll have to think about this some more. Thanks!
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    I vary the strictness of loot/tracking based upon campaign dynamics. While I tend to prefer realism with regard to encumbrance, I've DM'd some campaigns where the players just couldn't care less. They saw encumbrance rules and the like as just a bunch of needless bookkeeping that cluttered game play. Now whether or not this was just sheer laziness on their part, I'll let you be the judge. Point was, since they really didn't enjoy this kind of bookkeeping, I didn't impose it on them.

On the other hand, I've DM'd some campaigns where the players were very rules-oriented and appreciated the realism of encumbrance rules. In one such campaign I made a custom character sheets with an extended section pertaining to gear. I divided the gear into the following tables: magic items (where they were stored); Armor; Weapons; Consumable Items and Mundane Items. Each Item column included a row indicating the quantity and weight of each item. In the final column of each table I calculated the total weight for the items in that table. Below all these tables I inserted a Table on "Encumbrance and Weight". This sheet really helped my players and I to keep pretty consistent records.

That said, I like the backpack idea allot. It really simplifies things allot.

*EDIT*: There is another discussion on this topic "here":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2383&page=1#Item_17.
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • Everdark
    Everdark
    I used to have this same issue when I first started DM. We played constantly and my players were gaining tons of stuff so it become difficult to track. In short, to make life easier, I had all the players attach an extra paper to their character sheets where they can list their items and the descriptions of the items. I never liked to bother with the characters being encumbered so I just made things like bags of holding readily available in shops. I also gave them one as a reward in an early dungeon. It solved our problems.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    I find that with my group, I just trust my players to keep track, because if they really want to cheat the system, then fine. It's a collaborative game, so they're really only cheating themselves. My players also tend to just sell everything they find and trade the money for gems. In small towns I restrict the amount of gold available, but otherwise i don't worry about it. I too agree that the backpack idea is a good one, but for those who need to carry thing and also prefer to be unencumbered, allowing them to calculate their weight instead might be nice. I've seen people skateboard and do parkour like stunts with a backpack on, for example :P
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    I agree with gaaran - as long as it's not a full-hiking backpack which makes *walking* awkward, but rather a slim backpack, or pack with not a whole lot of stuff in it, the characters shouldn't be irked by it too much. Even though in the campaign we're starting up doesn't use encumbrence rules, I still went and figured out where I stuck what, just in case, for the sake of Roleplay/dramatic effect, my character can drop his backpack to leave it behind somewhere, for whatever reason. Maybe it's to gain a temporary burst of speed, maybe it's on fire, or someone's hanging on to it. For the sake of my sanity, I just wanted to be able to keep track of what I was losing. As a general rule, anything that goes into my backpack is "disposable." Everything else is strapped tightly to the character somewhere. Including his shaving kit.
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    I'm still trying to decide whether I will actually implement some of these rules. My group is generally very casual - lots of table talk and an emphasis on socializing as well as gameplay, so adding more rules can be problematic.

I consulted with one of my more experienced players, who has spent significant time running games himself, about possibly creating a sort of expanded item slot template to track where characters were carrying their various weapons. He thought it was a great idea, having had to previously reign in a member of our gaming group during his own game for trying to overload her character with easily accessible weapons. By contrast, my girlfriend chastised me severely for considering this, because she is only really in to smashing faces. She hates any aspect of the game that seems like record-keeping - including leveling up her character!

I am definitely going to implement the item ID numbers, and may still create cards for people to use for their various packs. I'll probably just track item slots myself, and may assign circumstantial penalties to actions if someone starts abusing their carrying capacity.
  • klosnj11
    klosnj11
    I run a very low inflation campaign (less magic makes it more special) so I really don't have to worry so much about it. My characters really don't utilize small things like potions so that makes things much easier as well. However, in your situation, I would (and have in the past) made it more like a slot system. For carrying weapons I have done one small weapon, one medium or smaller weapon, and one large or smaller weapon. If any desire to carry more comes up, deal with it on a character by character basis taking into account not just strength but size.

Other slots are one or two pouch(es), and one backpack (total capacity determined by value of the pack and ability to carry it). Then you use your simple encumbrance for if they have the backpack on or not.
    Also, instead of using encumbrance for the things they usually have on (their wands, swords, staffs, armor) just grant it that they live with those things and are used to them (within reason, people in full plate just should not swim). If they want to drop something to get a bonus to a check such as swimming or climbing, that is great.

I love realism as much as the next DM, but that doesn't mean the system needs as many variables as the chaos system that is the real world. :)
  • HurstGM
    HurstGM
    Im similar to Klosnj11. I only allow them to carry a certain number of swords guns ect. too many and they cant walk or manuver. Once they reach thier limit then they cant carry anymore and expect to fight. At least not well. Im very stict in tracking this due to other issues i had with players (not these) and I dont want history to repete.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I use the Paizo Item Cards for every magical item in my campaign, and I have some of those little plastic wallet pages (like for housing Magic: The Gathering cards) with every character sheet. They are all coded and listed in a section pertaining to magical items, so it is usually easy for me to determine what an old item might be. I also use the Character Item Map from Page 286 of Magic Item Compendium for every character. This generally shows where items are and has allowable slots for each part of the body. I am not too strict about the group bag of holding and generally just go by weight. About twice a year I do a census of this and let the players know, for example, that the bag of holding type IV is 60% full.

We generally allow spellusers to have all their material components with them, taking note of special things like diamonds, pearls, rubies, etc and some wierd stuff (e.g. giant squid tentacles for Evard's Black Tentacles.) I also allow every player to have a quickdraw belt which lets them draw two weapons, two potions, two wands, etc. as a free action.

I think you have to get the right balance between realism and ease of play, and this I guess, would change according to every group.

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    "solution":http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/designdev_rust3rd.jpg
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    We use a sheet with an image of a person and arrows with boxes that point to locations and what is carried where. In addition we track total wieght of bags, backpacks, etc. One of my players is a weapon horder and if we didnt do this he would carry 500 daggers, 50 axes, and a few hundred guns too.

"Here is the file if you wish to use for yourself":http://bit.ly/ufWkQr

-Steve
    "Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
    Post edited by Baalshamon on
  • TheMazeController
    TheMazeController
    That sheet would bother me - "here":http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff300/A-G-A/PaperDollSample.jpg is another version of the same concept that I have laying around since I am getting ready to make custom sheets for my upcoming game. I am going to use different art than this actually tho.
  • Ignus3
    Ignus3
    theMaze, you are an evil bastard. Scariest DnD monster of all time.
  • Morrinn
    Morrinn
    Everyone has a Rust Monster story.
    Everyone.

Even if you've only played Shadowrun, the fabled Rust Monster has somehow made it into that campaign, maybe under some pseudonym like... Cortex Corroder... and fucked shit up. Guaranteed.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Not only do I limit, but I have a rule in my game. All players must post their list of items on their character tab in OP. If a player says they use an item in game, and I check OP to find it not there, the item is not available. Perhaps it was left behind, lost, or stolen.
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• magavendon
    magavendon
    To my constant despair, I do not keep track of what items my players have, I leave that to them. In fact, I do not even know what items my players have at all, I'm not sure how good their armor is, or even (in some cases) what their weapons are capable of. I have no idea what sort of item someone will say they have, and going along with the story they just about have access to whatever they want.

This makes things very difficult for me at times, lol, but I think out of my 8 (or maybe it's 9) active players only one of them wouldn't mind keeping track of such things. All the rest don't care for the book-keeping that would be required, and half of them would forget anyway.

I figure I could "lay down the law" and enforce it too, but the players don't really abuse my trust in them too much, and I've even had a player or two a few times admit (without me having to prompt them to) that they had accidentally left some important item back on the ship.
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    I was getting tired of updating the character's electronic sheets (we use the Hero Game system and I use Hero Designer to build characters and keep them up to date). Two game sessions ago I told all the players they had to put all their items up in the OP character sheets. I helped them out by exporting their stuff electronically and posting their initial equipment. I also told them that if they didn't keep things up to date that one day they might come back from an adventure and find out that a bunch of stuff was missing from their 'home'.

Everyone has put their information up except for my wife :-). Not sure what I am going to do there :-)?
  • Baalshamon
    Baalshamon
    The fact that you have a wife who role plays is a big plus and I would help her out by starting the list for her character and then telling her to just update it now and then. I have had to do this to get my players onboard with the posting stuff to OP. has worked well.

-Steve
    "Star Trek Late Night":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-trek-late-night
    "Ultimate Drama":http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1452186107/universal-drama
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    Steve,

Yes I did that :-).

David
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    I tend to appreciate the realism, but not to the point where things are too rigidly defined. I prefer a more relaxed approach that basically fits with, what makes sense or, if you can point to it, you can have it. Now, whether you can have it for free is naturally another issue. For example, if a character really wanted to attach an extra belt-pouch-sized container to his helmet ... however, if such a thing can be found or made, it would still impose adverse effects, such as a penalty to awareness (i.e. spot/listen), and possibly affect balance, and even combat as well.

More often the issue is probably akin to "how many weapons can be stowed?" In which case I would definitely not allow such 'exotic' scabbards unless some _weird_ magic were in place. But the primary factor would be weapon size; you just can't tuck a greatsword into your boot, I'm sorry; it's just not possible. Daggers on the other hand can go all over the place, and even a couple dozen aren't beyond the imagination, even if they've got a greataxe across their back.

I also like the backpack idea - and typically do that by default when I play a character.
  • Leonidas300
    Leonidas300
    This was working really well in my Pathfinder Group - I have suspended it in my own group until my newer players have time to acclimate themselves to the system.

"Policy on Encumbrance":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/metzger/wikis/encumbrance-and-storage-capacity
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Thanks Leonidas- that is really good!
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt
    "Duskreign's First Ever COTM":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow/wiki_pages/112011

Just trying to help out.

• Jyhazen
    Jyhazen
    I tend to keep track of everything they carry and limit them on what they can and can't carry. The way I see it, I'm the one "giving" them the loot so it shouldn't be too hard to keep track of. Usually during a game I'll just make a small note of everything they pick up, buy or steal in one column. Then have another column for everything they expend, i.e. Arrows, Bolts, Scrolls, Potions.

Then during the time between games I'll update their character sheets. If I find that they've become encumbered I'll mention it in a private note next game, something like "Upon putting on your pack your feel your legs wobble a bit and walking is a little harder".

This goes for all the small stuff they do, if they acquire a large item I'll visit it right at that moment. For instance, if a Warrior decides to start carrying a Two-Handed Axe I'll check how it affects his weight and let him know.

Two things that I like to do is have item saving throws when a character falls or is knocked down. Mostly for potions or other fragile items. I usually just roll the save and inform the player when they open their pack or check it that x number of items were destroyed in the fall. I've also had them begin smelling a strong odor after a bad fall and they realized potions had been destroyed and were now leaking in their packs.

Another small tweak I like to do is assign weight to coins carried. I find that this helps in limiting the amount of money they tend to carry with them. I've never liked that PC's walk around with all the money to their names, makes no sense. So I assign either .1 or .01 pounds to each coin, after awhile it starts to add up. Causes them to purchase gems of close value or find somewhere "Safe" to store it. It adds to the immersion in my mind.
  • pjrichert
    pjrichert
    Time to necro a thread!

A few things I've noticed. First, most games do have a rule for how many items can be used/carried at a time. Generally a couple of rings, a couple wrist items, neck item, head item, etc, so that should be easily managed.

I generally do keep track of encumbrance for my players, using HeroLab mostly, and a good reason why is this. Too many times, strength becomes a dump stat because people realize that encumbrance is a PITA for GMs to watch. That being said, I'm also pretty lenient on it, as long as encumbrance isn't abused. But when the rogue with 8 str lists about 150 lbs of gear on her character? I generally talk to her and ask what her character is bringing with her and what she's leaving at home. Also, as soon as you tell the rest of the group how the 1 day trip is now going to take 2-3 days because someone is carrying a bunch of stuff, the party starts to police its own gear. I'm also a proponent of making Bags of Holding and Handy Haversacks available for purchase.

The backpack as med encumbrance rule is rife for abuse. Pack a crapton of stuff in there if encumbrance is simply and on/off switch. I'd pack everything including the kitchen sink.

I also have a very simple way of tracking potions. There's a spreadsheet that I have that lists all the potions, their color, consistency, smell and taste, and I use the same description for that potion throughout the game. So if the party finds a yellow, watery, sour smelling liquid that tastes of lemon, and it's a cure light wounds potion? As soon as the party figures out its a CLW potion, they know if they run across that combo again, it's a CLW potion. Then if someone doesn't identify it and later says they have a potion with descriptors, I can easily look it up

Generally though, I give the PC a break when they list all their gear, and will tell them the first time they pass the encumbrance mark with no penalty. Usually the next session they'll say they leave a portion of their stuff behind. I do include coin weight in this as well, since it can make them make a decision on taking the coin, or that piece of armor, or artwork that may weigh around the same amount, but be more valuable. (or vice versa) All in all it's fairly easy to create a spreadsheet with the weights of items, and list them for each character. Do a sum for all the items in their column and it'll give weight.
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    Plugging Fate Core again...

Fate handles equipment with the assumption that you have any items necessary to do whatever your skills dictate. If you have a skill called Fight you are assumed to have a basic melee weapon of some kind. If you have Drive then you are assumed to have access to a car.

If you want to have some special equipment that gives you a unique advantage, you can take an Aspect or Stunt for it (similar to feats in d20 systems). Money is abstracted as a Resources skill (although some homebrewed games might use a Wealth track if money is a big part of the game).

This means the only items you need to actually keep specific track of are those that are significant to the story.

~This message paid for by Evil Hat~
  • NikMak
    NikMak
    I tend to not bother about this sort of thing too much, but Im interested no one has mentioned the 'ten things' approach

each PC has 10 (or 5, or 20, or whatever suits your game best, perhaps modified for the strength bonus of the character, or by the ownership a cloak of many pockets) 'equipment slots'. It may be a set of lock picks, a bag of 50 coins or a bearded great axe, but it takes one equipment slot, and thats it. Ive run / played this a few times and it works very well.

I have seen other GMs modify this still further by having different sizes for stuff taking differnt numbers of slots; but in my experience that tends to revert to an equal level of complication to that of the old encumbrance rules and doesn't save you any time in game
  • Basileus
    Basileus
    I like that abstraction, at least for simplifying systems that are natively more complex like d20.

Of course, the approach from the card game Munchkin is pretty good too! You've got two hands, one pair of feet, one body for clothing, etc... and you can carry one "Big" item. Ducks of Doom and Magnificent Hats optional.

...on second thought, Magnificent Hats are never optional! Always wear a Magnificent Hat!
  • SkidAce
    SkidAce
    !https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/15706/assets/551268/Magnificent-hat.png!