I liked the search feature

outrider
outrider
edited February 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• outrider
    outrider
    I used the search feature to aid me in looking at various campaigns, in particular those that interested me, now I have to slog through the entire list to see whats out there. Is there a way to return this feature without slowing down the system?

Also, I have had several very pleasant comments from people about my campaign and would like to see if they are running something to check out their game. Would there be a way to find out what game they are running by their name on the site? Maybe Im missing something.
  • Micah
    Micah
    You can always find someone's profile page at the following location:

http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/micah

So, just put their username in after the /profile and you'll get their page.

As for the search, we're looking into ways of brining it back without crushing the site's performance.
  • outrider
    outrider
    see! I was missing something. thanks
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Slightly off topic, is there anyway to link to the site profiles from the forum profiles? I find it annoying to copy-paste the poster's name into the url string.
  • Micah
    Micah
    It's probably possible, but the forum is a different "beast":http://beast.caboo.se/ from the main site and I hate working on it when I could be working on the main site. ;)

I'll add it to the todo list, as it should be an easy fix.
  • Charsen
    Charsen
    That would be pretty cool to link the forum profiles with the main site!
  • Micah
    Micah
    Search will be coming back (hopefully...) very soon. We'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it behaves and doesn't drag down the server like before.
  • redstar
    redstar
    In terms of searching...

I was thinking to myself: what exactly are people searching? Keywords or specific entires?

If they are just keywords, maybe just have the search engine search by keywords. You could just add keyword fields to entires, campaigns, and items and keep the ones for NPCs. Then just have the search engine search by keyword, with a logic that suggests things that are close, based on how many times a tag is used globally.

Example:
    Search -> warrior
    Returns -> Entires with keywords "warrior" (10 entires)
    Did you mean? -> Fighter (20 entires)

Granted, I don't know anything about programming search engines, but i have a knack for logic :)
  • Micah
    Micah
    Indexing and searching is a large part of what I do IRL, and it's no easy task. Currently for search on the site we're using a tool called Solr. It provides pretty good text search out of the box without much tweaking.

The keyword idea you suggest is a novel one. I'll have to think about it.
  • darkliquid
    darkliquid
    Wouldn't keywords be essentially the same as tags though?