Dynamic Character Sheets for Popular Systems

13»

Comments

• gnunn
    gnunn
    Takissis,

I started playing around with your 3.5 sheet, and I like it a lot! There are a couple tweaks that I think could be easily implemented that might further improve it.

1. In the section dealing with carried weapons, there is no field designated for the weapon's name. I have been putting the name in the first field, under "Attack". So, perhaps you could just change "Attack" to "Weapon"

2. I would also like to see designated slots for different wearable magic items in the equipment section. I have implemented a workaround by listing the body slot followed by the item for any wearables.

Finally, it would be great to have a list somewhere of which fields auto-update and under which circumstances. I see that most of the fields related to ability mods automatically fill in... do any of the totals automatically sum up, or no?
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    @ Gnunn

Thanks for the compliment. As simple as it looks, it took me a lot of time to get it how I liked it.

1. Probably a good idea. I copied the player's handbook character sheet and that's what it had it listed as, but even at the time I thought it was weird. I'll go back and change that.

2. I can do that. It will take some tweaking of the layout, but that's not a problem. When I get time I'll play with it and see if I can make that work.

3. All the ability mods will automatically fill in once they are entered in the ability section and saved the first time. However, no, it doesn't sum things up for you. Eventually, I'll take the time to figure out how to make it do that, but I'm still really new at this and figure its a javascript thing. Unfortunately, I know bubkus about javascript.
  • Malanthrax
    Malanthrax
    I would like to see a "Generic" Character sheet that allowed for entry of:

Special Characteristics instead of the typical Strength, Dex and so forth many systems use as a good deal of us may have house rules with extra/different main traits/characteristics.

Unless I missed that and one of the sheets will already have this.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Sounds like a possible idea.
    Although to be properly generic a DST is not as customisable as the current wiki crunch section for characters.

Problems arise in layout with a "generic" DST. It's fine to have variables for section names so anyone can call an area traits, characteristics, skills, abillities etc. But for the traits inside these sections - some systems have sentences some have numbers and some have several numbers for each trait.

You are talking about a lot of JavaScript just to handle the necessary customisation of layout.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Well maybe not a lot, but some JavaScript :)
  • Malanthrax
    Malanthrax
    Ah. Gotcha. Thanks appreciate the info.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    It's doable but fiddly and a challenge. Certainly something I'd like a go at if I can get the time. The classification of a generic DST could be a problem though as each is given to a particular system. So it would only appear if someone chose "other" for their campaign system even if they are using a variant of a currently named system.
    The obvious answer to this is to add the generic sheet to all systems so it can be used for variants. That will require behind the scenes coding from the OP admins.
  • Malanthrax
    Malanthrax
    Ya that makes total sense. I keep thinking about offline solutions I have used and keep forgetting that sometimes its not the same thing.

I sadly find that though I may have 6 main characteristics in a system, generic sheets usually seem to go the way of still making the 6 main ones static and unchangeable or not renamable. I have tried to make my own in general formats but truly the only successful time I have is just making a word doc/PDF. And of course that than causes its own problems, looks messing, and of course isn't connected to this site which is awesome all by itself::)

One of these days maybe.
  • DarqueRaven
    Looking over the thread I noticed that the Star Wars D20 system (RCR & OCR) are not listed.
    Now in as the items in the D20 books are transferable from one system to another, within reason. And the baseline character creations are almost the same. I was greatly surprised by this.

Is there a Star Wars D20 Dynamic Character Sheet in the works?
    If not, what would it take to get one started?

The reason I ask is that I am in a local Star Wars D20 game and the baseline sheets from the RCR books are NOT up to the task. First of all they are way too small in many areas, Weapons, Armor, gear. One can not truly keep track of everything on the character sheet. I have resorted to keeping notes in a spiral bound book. But that burns up time, finding the item. A dynamic character sheet that could expand to the needs of the player would be great help.
  • cdmoyer
    cdmoyer
    Is anyone working on Pathfinder? I'm not a designer (but I do know html, css and javascript), but I suspect I could take the 3.5 sheet by Takissis (if she doesn't mind), change the skills and add CMD/CMB pretty easily.
    Post edited by cdmoyer on
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    I don't mind. Feel free.
  • Kevlyn
    I wouldn't mind giving the RuneQuest sheets a go.
  • Idless
    Idless
    Hmm, just not to flood the boards with, "I want a" threads, I am going to post a request here

And YES, I have requested one through official means, but this is a different kind of request

Serenity does not have a DCS, but there is an Cortex 3.0 system - this one is almost just as good, with only a few changes.

I was thinking, maybe Cortex 3.0 could made available for Serenity campaigns until the day may arrive, were Serenity gets one!? (alternatively, of course, I could just mark my Serenity system as Cortex, but you know...)

...Troels/Idless
  • _CJ_
    _CJ_
    Has anyone tried a Burning Wheel DST?
  • Karelzarath
    Karelzarath
    Finished up one for Alpha Omega last night. Hopefully, it'll be approved soon.
  • GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse
    Still hoping for one for Palladium... from one of you awesome programmers that make this site so cool....
    Have actually had 3 requests from others for one as well...
    killervp
    "A God...Rebuilt":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/a-god-rebuilt

Just trying to help out.

• GunbunnyFuFu
    GunbunnyFuFu
    I'd like to see a Dynamic Character sheet for Fantasy Craft. It's a 3.5 system, with some changes (which I have no clue on how to handle). Any takers?

HGM
  • Mando501
    Mando501
    Palladium/Rifts would be nice!
  • Tanarus
    Tanarus
    As would Cyberpunk 2020
  • bluesguy
    bluesguy
    Hero Game Systems
  • Rubycon
    Rubycon
    Is there some kind of manual how to build a DST? I'm planning on a campaign with a mixture of several rules and would like to have one for my own set of rules.
    Apart from this, I would like to habe a Rolemaster FRP DST... :-)
  • JackMunchkin
    JackMunchkin
    Hi, I'm new here so please excuse if I ask something already asked. Is there a Dynamic Character Sheet for AD&D1 available or in development ?

Thanks
  • MacAllen
    MacAllen
    I'm not new here (Ascendant for years), but never heard of DST's. Is there one for Cortex? How would I go about adding it to an existing campaign? I've a long-standing Serenity campaign that I put aside for a few months that I'm coming back to and I'd love to freshen it up with cool character sheets.