Anybody have a problem with

mcoorlim
edited February 2008 in General Discussion

Comments

• mcoorlim
    people creating accounts just to vote down your game? I only ask because someone marked one of mine as a favorite, voted it a 1, and has no other favorites, created stuff, forum activity, or anything. Just seems a bit weird, that's all.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
  • outrider
    outrider
    its happened before. This was the big reason for the clearing of the slate and now knowing who gave you that vote. Your option is to either ignore him or write him about his vote.
  • mcoorlim
    So, it's possible that it's just a proxy account someone made to maintain their secrecy and still be able to vote down other people's games?

What a jerk. I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't the first vote I'd gotten. Haven't even started the game yet. :(
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    That's terrible. I'm really sickened to hear that this is happening again.
  • mcoorlim
    Maybe... maybe they just accidentally clicked on the score and didn't realize it. Yeah.

Maybe.

And... and they'll be back to fix it, somehow. Soon, right? Yeah.

Gamers are good people, right?
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Welcome back to the inevitable. The re-vamp of the scoring system addressed anonymous down voting but we all knew dummy down voting was just around the corner. Personally, I think only friends should be able to vote on each other's campaigns. I rarely give a flying frack what people I don't know think about my stuff.

hum... who can tell I've been watching a lot of BSG lately?
  • mcoorlim
    I wouldn't really care either. I don't care if people don't like my work... especially if they're not playing in my game... I just don't like the shadiness of the whole thing.
  • darkliquid
    darkliquid
    Maybe it would be good if the user was required to explain their rating if they aren't a member of the campaign - and non-campaign members or users with low activity have they ratings go into a moderation queue, to at least combat this kind of childish behaviour.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    bq. Personally, I think only friends should be able to vote on each other’s campaigns. I rarely give a flying frack what people I don’t know think about my stuff.

I don't like that idea at all. There are bound to be people that will want other people to be able to rate their campaigns. For example, I wouldn't want just my friends being able to vote for my campaign. I already know what they think of my game, I sort of enjoy seeing that others like it as well.
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I want to know what people think about my games, but I'd just rather get a message from someone telling me what they liked/disliked then a scoreboard that says "Jim Bob thinks my game is a 3 Star!" because that doesn't actually _tell_ me anything.
  • MythicParty
    MythicParty
    FYI, its 'frak':
    http://en.battlestarwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Frak

...which I learned thatnks to one of the many benefits of watching shows in Close Captioning.

Other great Sc-Fi swear words:
    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/geekend/?p=1142
  • RobJustice
    RobJustice
    http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Frack

Of course, I'm a bigger fan of the re-imagined version but non the same... I was slightly correct. I'll go ahead and call that one a typo though since I was watching the new BSG at the time.

Thats a pretty amusing list though.
  • Charsen
    Charsen
    Explaining frakkin' poodoo votes by requiring comments would be gorram great! That would force those p'taks who give shazbot ratings to smurfin explain themselves! SHAZBOT!
  • mcoorlim
    Plus, constructive criticism is ALWAYS move valuable than a single number, high or low.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    And if one could pair it up with the ability to delete (or at least make invisible) any sophomoric non-helpful comments, that'd be even better.

I don't expect it to be possible, though. Even when accounting for my tendency to overcomplicate things, that seems a monumental task.
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    Well, you can already delete comments, so that much shouldn't be a problem. The problem would be tying comments to the voting feature.
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    bq. ...someone marked one of mine as a favorite, voted it a 1...

That _does_ seem odd. Are they keeping an eye on it hoping it'll become more to their liking? :P
  • mcoorlim
    It's not the kind of wiki that's going to get better or worse - only more complete. It's just an organized site for my players to refer for setting data. It's hard for me to imagine someone liking or disliking it any more than they would an encyclopedia.

Maybe I'm just too close to see it, but someone whose only site activity was to join up and mark my campaign a 1 just seems shady to me.
  • Charsen
    Charsen
    I thought about this recently, and does anyone wonder if maybe people are rating maps instead of the campaigns? Think about it... they click on a map from the main page and you can rate it. But you're not rating a map, you're rating the campaign. But they might not know that, and so they rate the map instead of the campaign.
  • mcoorlim
    I don't have a map, so that's not it in my case.
  • MythicParty
    MythicParty
    FYI, Sci-Fi channel is going to be doing a "What the Frak is up with BSG," where there summarize everything in 8 minutes. Refreshing everyone's memory if they don't have time to watch the marathon.