Minor character page suggestions

Meadhands
Meadhands
edited July 2010 in Feature Requests
Straight to the point:

What I was thinking:

I enjoy the character page, but wish I could move the boxes around or add more. In other words, "Description", "Biography," and "GM Info" are great and all, but being able to remove Biography, change its name, or move it above Description would be useful. Being able to add additional boxes would be useful as well, since I keep track of my character's stats and would like a statistics box. Sure, I can make a work around, but perhaps others are not as savvy.

The implementation doesn't seem too difficult: You keep the original three boxes, but have three more boxes that start off as "closed," being acivated by checking a checkbox. In addition to a text field, each box could have a title box and perhaps a tagline box attached to it. Then, perhaps in the sidebar or at the bottom of the page could be an area where you determine the order they appear in. It could be something difficult like dragging the titles above or below each other, simpler like "move up" and "move down" buttons, or even typing numbers next to each title to determine the order. Whatever the case, it would make things simpler and/or more attractive if used well. Its not super important, but I thought it would be a neat feature.

Comments

• JustinMason
    JustinMason
    Just thought I'd make another suggestion. It would be really great if the "Name" output on the character page could be done in a font-size larger than the keywords and/or each seperated by a horizontal rule. Once you have several characters listed and each has many keywords it all sort of jumbles together and makes it very hard to locate the specific link you're looking to click on.

For an example, here's my current Character Page that has this very issue: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shattered-gateway/characters

Thanks,
    Justin
  • JustinMason
    JustinMason
    Ahem... and rather than posting in another topic... Ditto for the Items Page as well.

Example: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shattered-gateway/items
  • Calion
    Calion
    +1 to hoptown's idea. Although I'm not sure how much good making feature requests here is as compared to using the Help system.
  • JustinMason
    JustinMason
    Me either, that's why I did both.
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    Wow; you're right about that jumble. Of the top of my head, you can do 3 things:

1) shorten your tags (e.g. Silverfel[?] rather than "The Nation of Silverfel"[?] - hope I didn't butcher that);
    2) put your tags directly into the object (character/item), especially secondary ones - doing so may require creating a secondary tag system though;
    3) use an alternate tag system for secondary tags. For example, you could create a "character" called "Group 1", and in that list and link to every character who's in Group 1.

You could do the same for other tags that are likely to be fairly common. I would try to restrict standard tags to the fewest I could get away with. I figure if you have fewer than 20 or so objects under the same tag (depending), you probably don't need to narrow the field more.