A Forum Thread for Alternate Services for OP Fans?

mrlich
mrlich
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
Heya folks.

I hope that this is the right spot to put this - admins should (obviously) feel free to delete/move if it's not.

I was just wondering if there is an appropriate spot to post offering professional services to OP users? Since there are a lot of folks out there (yes, like Yours Truly) who offer professional art, cartography, costuming, writing, or other services that OP users might enjoy, it just seemed like a natural fit, but I don't want to be 'that guy' either, so I'm wondering if there's a spot set aside for such things.

Anywho - thanks in advance for any help, and happy gaming!

~MrLich

Comments

• Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I bet they'll let you buy ad space somewhere on the site, but I'm just assuming (I haven't seen any ads on here, and I gotta say that's one of the things I like most about this place, but a small icon somewhere probably wouldn't bother me, but they might intentionally be avoiding all ads for fear of opening the floodgates, so to speak). Try going to the "help" section and emailing admins directly the same way as if you were reporting a bug and talk to them directly. They come by the forums frequently, but that would be your best bet to get ahold of them.
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    I'd be curious about the answer to this as well. Keep me in the loop if you get an answer.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• Micah
    Micah
    An interesting idea...We've been pseudo-partnering with AvatarArt for a long time, but it's definitely not exclusive, and I know they've been having a hard time keeping up with the level of request that are coming in.

What if there were a section on the blog where we listed "service providers"? Artists, cartographers, and such. We could list a small description and a link to a website.

Does that sound like a good first step?
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    That sounds like a great idea to me Micah.
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    That would be a useful feature.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - swashbuckling adventure in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    That not only sounds like a good first step, but I don't think it needs to go much further than that, either. Like I said, one of the best things about OP is the lack of ads everywhere, and while I'd like to keep it that way, we should also offer both exposure for artists, etc as well as resources for people to connect with each other for that kind of thing.
  • Calion
    Calion
    Hey mrlich, if you're going to plug yourself, include a link. I'm curious.
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    I concur, that's a great idea - some kind of corner nook for professional services would be neat and beneficial.

I second Poutine's opinion about ads, though. One of the things I really like is not having to dodge those interactive banners all the time, which is part (a small part, but still part) of why I support the site with my membership. I know you guys need money to keep things running, and the lack of ads would make me feel quite guilty if I didn't chip in when I can afford it.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic. If there's support and interest, and we're taking a vote, I vote yes!
  • Micah
    Micah
    We have no plans to add more ads anytime soon. We don't like them anymore than you do. Instead, we prefer to add Ascendant features that make a subscription worth paying for.
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    I thought as much - and I didn't mean to suggest that you were planning on it. As far as Ascendant features making the subscription worth it, you're all doing a fantastic job. Thanks!
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    I'm hugely in favor of this! Lack of ads is one of the things that separates OP from other online gaming services. Of course I am also biased since I'll be one of the first applying to add myself to the "service providers" roster.

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• igornappovich
    igornappovich
    how about a services tradeboard so that everyone can swap services for money and or other services? that way its not as obnoxious as outright ads, but still provides a nice centralized location for anyone with a service to offer to show the community what they've got. You could even incorporate an 'angies list' like feedback ratings system from registered users in the same place.

Id be happy to brainstorm architecture sometime just let me know, but im sure you guys could do this stuff in your sleep if you had the time.

cheers,
    --igor
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    oh and of course youd need to be ascendant to post your service.... dont give this stuff away for free !
  • Calion
    Calion
    I propose we use something like the method suggested by "Douglas Adams":http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-05-a.html: Put an "Ads" or "Marketplace" link somewhere, and have all the ads, blurbs and banners under that. That way the people that are interested can see it, and those that aren't can avoid it. And the site charges a small fee to get listed.
  • Calion
    Calion
    And mrlich, DungeonMasterLoki: Please get a jump on this by starting a forum thread here so we can see your wares. You know what, I'll do it myself.

"Done":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1922.
  • mrlich
    mrlich
    @all - thanks for the discussion!

@micah a section (or even individual posts) sounds like a great step to me. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be 'that guy' buy pimping myself - especially in the wrong area of the site.

@Calion - thanks - I'll post something shortly!