Changing Wiki Page Names

globetrotter1004
globetrotter1004
edited April 2011 in Campaign Portal Building
Why can't I change the name of a page?

When I click on edit, the page field is missing and it only shows the page title in large Green letters.

I would like to be able to edit without having to delete the entire page, can anyone help?

Comments

• RayPrancer
    RayPrancer
    I have a closely related question - following on from a suggestion by one of my players, I've changed the name of a town from "Zorkton" to "Zorksun". However I still want people to be able to find the page in question by typing "Zorkton" into the campaign search. Currently the page is at "Zorkton"

Essentilly I want the equivilent of Wikipedia's move feature - which does all this automatically when you change the name of one of it's pages.

Also on the subject what's the feeling of the wider community about creating redirect pages when you have two names for the same thing - for example creating the page "Zorksun" with just the text "see [Zorkton]"
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    It may be better for me to leave this one to the experts, but I don't believe there is currently any way to do what you are asking, globetrotter, although it might be a good feature request.
    In the meantime, copy-pasta your text onto a new page with the new name. You'd have to go back and fix broken links anyway, so it's no more than a minute's extra work.

RayPrancer, I would say that that might also make a good feature request - these two items really are closely related. In the meantime, you can point links with the new spelling at the old page using the following code:

[[Zorkton | Zorksun]]

The line in the middle is the Shift of the slash directly above the Enter key on a standard Qwerty keyboard.

People should still be able to find it via search if you tag it with the new name, unless I'm mistaken.

As for redirect pages...if it can be done, I'm sure one of this forum's many brilliant coders will be along shortly to present the solution.
    Post edited by JonathonVolkmer on
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    In this particular case you should be able to create (or supposedly alter) the page name to be "Zorksun (Zorkton)"; that should allow people only searching titles to still find the page.

Personally I would prefer something like that to a redirect page as *RayPrancer* describes. However, a redirect page that crosses campaigns whenever the exact (or perhaps near-exact) same spelling is used would be most welcome.