Comment Feature

photoneater
photoneater
edited February 2008 in Feature Requests

Comments

• photoneater
    photoneater
    First of all, I really want to say how excited I am to see the comment feature implemented! I have been waiting for a while now, and I'm really glad to see it. I think it will provide a great tool for player feedback and for community development alike, so I'm thrilled to have it.

That said, I do have a few suggests/questions, as far as interface and usability go.

1. Would it be possible to have a "Leave a Comment/Read Comments" link available from the bottom of each entry on the main adventure log page? Currently, you have to actually click on the title and view the pages independently to leave a comment, or even read it.
    2. Is it possible to be updated if someone replies to a comment you have left on their log? Right now, there seems to be no way of knowing if a comment receives a response.
    3. How much formatting is possible in the comments? I haven't tried yet myself, and even then, I only know a sparse amount of textile, so I would undoubtedly be missing a lot of things anyway.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Well, I can answer 2) for you, since you commented on my adventure log post and I just got an email about it. =)

ETA: I'm very glad that my leaving a reply to your comment does not count as updating the campaign. Yay for that!
  • photoneater
    photoneater
    Well, I know the GM gets a reply (in theory, anyway), but I meant the poster of the comment. For example, if I post a comment on one of your logs, and you reply to me by way of another comment, I have no way of knowing that a reply has been made- for example, I would have had no way of knowing that you replied to me had you not just mentioned it.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    I just came over here to find out if that was what you meant. *I* got the alert that I replied to you, though, just fine. =)
  • Figment
    Figment
    bq. 3. How much formatting is possible in the comments? I haven’t tried yet myself, and even then, I only know a sparse amount of textile, so I would undoubtedly be missing a lot of things anyway.

Well, textile formating for bold, italic, and web page links worked just fine in "my reply to your comment.":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/chaos_out_of_order/adventure-log/session-four-synopsis However, wiki page linking did not work. It also looks like I can't edit my reply, so if I wanted to remove the goofy looking [[Classes of Athas | classes]] I'd have to recompose the entire post and delete the old one.

That said, just having this feature will be a great new tool to be added to these forums and PMs. Thanks, OP!
  • Micah
    Micah
    I'll try to get to everything...

h3. Comment count / link on main page

I'd like to add a comment count to each post on the main page so it's easy to scan and see which posts have comments and how many. For an example of this, take a look at our development blog at http://blog.aisleten.com As you can see, it's easy to quickly see how many comments each post has. The quick answer is that I pushed out the blog comments as fast as possible (did all the work on Sunday afternoon) and didn't have time to get everything working the way I wanted. I've added a TODO items representing the things left to be done, and this is one of them.

h3. Auto notification for replies for comments

This is possible, but actually kind of difficult. So, the short answer is: not yet. Believe me, I want it to, but we've got other fires to fight right now :(

h3. Comment formatting

Currently, it's possible to use most of the Textile/wiki/basic-html formatting. Bold, italics, images, and the like should work. The main thing missing (as already noted) is the ability to link to wiki pages. This has to do with the fact that there are actually hundreds of individual wikis on this site. Each campaign has 2 (party wiki and dm wiki). Therefore, when someone wants to link to a wiki page, the system has to determine which wiki to link to. I'm wracking my brain to come up with a way to do it, but I'm no genius, so it might be a ways off.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the comments, and it's been due for a long time. You are all putting up great material here, and you deserve to hear from the people reading your campaigns. I'm hoping that with the new comment system, we can all help boost each others' confidence. Get out there and tell people what you think, especially your own GM/players. We all work so hard to make the game fun, and it's such a big thrill (at least for me) to know that people appreciate it.
  • DarthKrzysztof
    DarthKrzysztof
    i really like the comment feature! I may use it to add "behind the screen" footnotes, such as "Jennifer inadvertently gave me the idea that Eliath and Morard are the same person," or "The idea of having Hexla and Margone in business together hit me at the Police concert, when I should have been having a good time."
  • wyrmul
    wyrmul
    A great feature, but definitely waiting for the comment link on the adventure log main page at the bottom of the post.

Again, Great jorb!
  • Micah
    Micah
    Thanks to all for the feedback, and keep up the commenting!
  • Micah
    Micah
    Comment counts are now displayed at the top of the post, with a link to go directly to the comment section.
  • IceBob
    IceBob
    I really like having the comment counter on the main page. Thanks.
  • Figment
    Figment
    bq. *Comment formatting*

Currently, it’s possible to use most of the Textile/wiki/basic-html formatting. Bold, italics, images, and the like should work. The main thing missing (as already noted) is the ability to link to wiki pages. This has to do with the fact that there are actually hundreds of individual wikis on this site. Each campaign has 2 (party wiki and dm wiki). Therefore, when someone wants to link to a wiki page, the system has to determine which wiki to link to. I’m wracking my brain to come up with a way to do it, but I’m no genius, so it might be a ways off.

OK, maybe I'm a little slow when it comes to coding, but if Adventure Logs are considered a part of the Party Wiki, why would there be a question as to which wiki Adventure Log replies should link to?

BTW, thanks for the comment counter and direct link to the comments.
  • Micah
    Micah
    bq. OK, maybe I’m a little slow when it comes to coding, but if Adventure Logs are considered a part of the Party Wiki, why would there be a question as to which wiki Adventure Log replies should link to?

Hmm, that's a good point. I'll have to look at the code again and see if I can add a best guess about where someone is linking to. Someone could always leave a comment like "Hey, look at my campaign page at [[blah blah]]" wishing to link to their own wiki, but I guess they'll just have to deal with it...

Writing a good wiki has turned out to be harder than I thought. I tip my hat to the people that wrote MediaWiki (the wiki that powers Wikipedia).