Dragon Lore or Dragon Bore?

twiggyleaf
twiggyleaf
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Who doesn't like dragons? They spice up most campaigns of a fantasy nature.

However, they can be quite elaborate to design. It's not just "look it up in the monster manual!" There are so many types and then each age group gives it differing characteristics. If you're lucky, you can use the EXAMPLE in the Monster Manual, but more often than not, you will have to do a lot more work....

......unless there is already one waiting for you in the "Sample Dragons":http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Sample_Dragons link. This is a useful WIKI link with some sample dragons already pre-rolled, classified by type and age group. I have found it extremely useful.

Hey, maybe you are the type of person that just likes designing dragons for fun. If so, why don't you upload your "homebrews" into the WIKI pages where there are plenty of empty slots, thus further helping other gamers looking for such creatures.

The site is d20 based, so it should be more or less usable for most fantasy based RPGs.

Happy Hunting.
twigs!

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

Comments

• Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Twiggyleaf once again proves to be Duskreign's hero. A massive Dragons vs. Demons battle is fast approaching in my game. I have the Draconomicon and Demonomicon, which helps, but I wanted to try to come up with some more unique concepts for both the fiends and the dragons. This should help me structure a few homebrew dragons for my game! I thank you, friend Twiggyleaf!
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Heh, I just threw a CR 16 White Wyrm against my 12th level AoL party in last night's game. They ended up pissing in their pants and fleeing! But it's like you said Twigs, it took me quite some time to figure out the stat block for this dragon since the Pathfinder Bestiary I was working with didn't have sample dragons of the age I was looking for. Wish the Pathfinder SRD had as many samples as the wiki source you've discovered. If I were still using 3.5e rules I would totally use this resource.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    This is really cool Twiggy, thanks. I might have to throw a dragon into my next campaign now...

Dusk, demons vs dragons sounds AMAZING! Sounds like the perfect time for some Two Steps From Hell too!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Yeah, Demons vs. Dragons, with the main cast caught in the crossfire. It's going to be an intense couple of sessions.

2SFH will be played a lot, to be sure. I'm very much looking forward to it. I just rolled up a Rust Dragon based on Twiggyleaf's suggestion, and I found a theme track by 2SFH that perfectly matches it.
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    Ooh, that is a handy link. I am also making plans for a Rust Dragon (But don't tell anyone; Rust Monsters have been an ongoing joke since one of my friends had us fight one back in an early high school campaign and destroyed my character's heirloom sword. Vengeance is finally coming around, nearly 10 years later!)

On another note, are you taking bets, Duskreign? I suddenly feel very strongly that a forum betting pool needs to happen because that sounds pretty epic!
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    The demons have home-field advantage, as the battle is going to be taking place in Infernia (Wyrmshadow's version of Hell). However, the leader of the dragons carries the Draconic Divinity within his soul, so he's exceptionally powerful. Also, the demons have a dragon turncoat on their side who has been augmented with fiendish aether to become a vile mockery of all things dragon.

Poor PCs have no idea how horrific this is gonna be. :P
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I think I'll take the home team...depending on the points spread. What's the over/under on # of casualties?
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hey, Duskreign and Jonathon

Let us know how it goes.....

Inner Council Member

• Duskreign
    Duskreign
    The most recent session was the set-up. I'll let you know how this develops, but it promises to be a bloody and violent affair to be sure. Hell, Dragons vs. Demons could be a whole game in and of itself.
  • VentureSix
    VentureSix
    Man, I need to figure out how to get space dragons worked into my campaign somehow... :D
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Space Dragons? They sound cool!

Inner Council Member

• VentureSix
    VentureSix
    I know! I'd like to work some gigantic creature into the 40K verse to attack the ship my players have. Dragons vs Light Cruisers!
  • Sheller
    Sheller
    Space dragons? I remember one time reading a sci-fi story titled just that where a starship crew was trying to track down a legendary sentient being made of pure undiscovered energy or something to that ilk; the being itself was christened the Space Dragon because of it's obvious shape, but it was the size of an asteroid or so.

That's rambling. Maybe space dragons are creatures born of alien life from an old meteorite? Maybe they enjoyed flight so much that they eventually came to start attempting to leave the atmosphere until they eventually succeeded.

Did Spelljammer have anything involving space dragons? I figure a DND setting "in space!" would have such an iconic creature written up for posterity.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    When I was a kid I loved two things (aside from the ninja turtles of course!), space and dinosaurs. Dragons are kind of like dinosaurs, so space dragons, yeah, that sounds sweet!
  • Dyluth
    Dyluth
    Speaking of Sheller's "Space Dragons" up above, I have a "Zombie Krayt Dragon" from my Star Wars campaign that I had wanted to use but now won't be able to, if I have a second to make sure the stats are cleaned up I'll gladly upload to your sample dragon site if anyone is interested in a sci-fi dragon!
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi All, I thought I would just bump this thread since it is such a useful resource and may not have been seen by many current forum frequenters.
    I hope someone gets something out of this bump!

twiggyleaf
    "Shimring - The Faces of Divinity":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shimring
    (a multiplanar 3.5 D&D campaign)

Inner Council Member

• Sorwen
    Thanks for mentioning this. I'll definitely use "it":http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Sample_Dragons for the non-standard dragons since it is nice to have them all in one place rather than digging through every for them. Still I like using the "SRD":http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm for just random standard dragons. I like tables. :) It also tends to load nicer for any situation (low end computer, bad/slow internet connection, etc) compared to the Wiki's out there. A friend's computer dies if we try to load the Forgotten Realms Wiki.
    Post edited by Sorwen on
  • Turncoat
    Turncoat
    I tend to find dragons a bit unruly. If they are all over the place, it`s difficult for me to rationalize a brood of red dragons just conquering the world.
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I also believe in most worlds they should be rare. A world could not sustain itself if there were as many dragons as, say .... cattle.

Inner Council Member