Why yes, Virginia, Gamer Girls DO exist!

Kenari_Sanura
Kenari_Sanura
edited March 2011 in Player Lounge
Hey there, everybody! Seeing as I saw my DM's intro post, I thought I should be nice and create one too.

I

Comments

• FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Dream Coaster?

That may not be the name of it, but I think I know the game of which you speak. A friend of mine was offloading old gaming books and that's one of them he recommended to me.

Oh, and hi and stuff. And what edition of Champions? I'm thinking of taking the plunge to 6th because I never bought any of the books for 5th.
  • Kenari_Sanura
    Kenari_Sanura
    Hello! Nice to hear from another female gamer!

That title sounds vaguely familiar... so that very well could be it. Unfortunately we didn't get very far into the game mechanics, but it did seem like an interesting game concept that I would've liked to have gotten into more.

As to Champions, when I played it was good old 1st edition, lol. I didn't care much for the point/power system, however... and quickly moved to the Marvel RPG as character creation and game play was much quicker, smoother, and easier to manage. Champions might have improved greatly since I've played it last... but these days the groups I'm in have moved past super heroes (shame, really) and either want to play D&D or Cyberpunk.
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    Welcome Kenari_Sanura!

Yes it's always great to see more female gamers here at the forums. That is quite a wealth of experience you bring to the table too! Oh, and lovely art by the way, several of us her4e at the forums have put together a "WIP":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1688&page=2#Item_5 page to show off the work tha t we are doing, you ought to think about contributing. Look forward to seeing you around.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Post edited by arsheesh on
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Greetings and welcome to the forums!

"DarkMagus":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/DarkMagus
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    Welcome to OP! Paranoia, one of the greatest games of all time. I think I tried to tell these guys about the sheer backstabbing joy found in that game-- in a thread a couple months ago-- but they just couldn't appreciate the beauty inherent in ordering all red level troubleshooters to the liquidation vats. :)

Did you ever try villains and vigilantes? that was after champions but before marvel-- great game, everything was based on actually measuring stuff in inches with a ruler (range of powers, movement, how far you got knocked back when punched, etc) so combat really felt super-hero ish.

I never understood the lack of female gamers thing-- never been an issue in all the years of gaming I have been involved in. We had about 40% women in our high school gaming group, and pretty much every campaign Ive run or been a part of since adulthood has been based around couples, so 50-50 man woman ratios. The current campaign im a player in is also 3 guys, 3 gals. Guess Ive just been lucky? Anyway, welcome aboard. Awesome artwork, I followed the link posted by loki-- impressive.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Wow! Welcome to the portal, Kenari! I am super happy to see all the new faces and talents that are emerging to join our fine online community!

Hope to see you around the forums,

"Duskreign":http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/Duskreign

"Wyrmshadow Campaign Setting":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/wyrmshadow

"Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic

"The System":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/system
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    Welcome to the Portal, *KS*.

I took a peek at your gallery; I like "Theris of the High Seas" (but of course I would love pirates, right?) and Zatanna looks just like a non-player character I used in a d20 _Modern_ game years ago.

Mike aka Black Vulmea
    "_Le Ballet de l'Acier_":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/le-ballet-de-l-acier - Swashbuckling adventures in the age of the Three Musketeers and Captain Alatriste
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Hi Kenari

Welcome to the site and keep on drawing and painting. If I could draw pics like you, I would do a lot more of my own art work.

Twigs.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    And I went through my old books over the weekend - I was thinking of Dream Park.

(And threads like this remind me that it is, in fact, unusual to have a gamer group of six players + the DM, and only one of the players is a boy. We don't chronicle Shining Crystal Rescue Warriors as much as we should, which is a shame, but all my character would do is whine.)
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I've been gaming for about what...well more than a dozen years, anyway....and I think I've been at 2 tables that had a girl present, wait, no 3. And only one of them I know still plays (although very infrequently, as her current group is very intermittent) so, as far as I'm concerned, those of you that have an equal ratio (or even leaning the other way) are truly blessed. It would be nice to have a perspective from the opposite sex sometimes, and even though I know they're out there, I have not met more than a few, which is really too bad. My "wife" has barely more than zero interest, and another one of my group's wives is one of the ones that tried and it didn't stick with, so I guess I just have to envy the rest of you for your diversity.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I was married for seven years before my wife finally decided to join in our gaming festivities. Now, she is one of my top players! Prior to her, though, I only had minimal interaction with female gamers. I was just at PAX East, and the ratio was pretty even in the tabletop gaming area. I saw Dee-femmes along with the Dee-emms, if you get what I'm saying. It was really great. I wanted to sit in at one table where the DM, of the lady-parts-having-variety, was describing the atmosphere inside a dank crypt that had recently been robbed by a band of merciless, filthy kobolds. Her nothing's sacred mentality added a lot of intensity to the scene. We were on our way somewhere, otherwise, I would have tried to get in on that game.
  • FemmeLegion
    FemmeLegion
    Dusk, that sounds awesome. I set a chapter of a superhero campaign in Mogadishu and really wanted to get more graphic with it, but I ended up depressing *myself* too much the closer I got to describing it accurately. That world is lucky Rebecca Water's only hurt-you power is an EGO attack which cannot directly kill you. She's seriously on the brink of a face-heel turn.
  • FrankSirmarco
    FrankSirmarco
    My wife has no interest in RPGs. And I'm not overly depressed about it - married couples should have a few separate interests, if possible. She does play a lot of board games (Arkham Horror, The Hobbit, Talisman, Dominion, etc.), so we still get to geek out together.

We've had a female gamer as part of our group for five years, and she's one of the better players. She has a very good command of the Pathfinder rules - we often use her as a resource when we've forgotten where a particular rule is located.

Outside of the occasional boob joke thrown her way, we pretty much treat her like one of the guys.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    PAX East indeed, said the caboose! The Caboose always seemed to be behind the times when welcoming people, but welcome them he did. "Hello Kinari!" exclaimed the caboose while talking in the third person. The Caboose considers himself to be an art appreciator, especially after hanging out with Duskreign at PAX East and finally getting his hands on painting in a long while, so he feels uniquely qualified to consider Kinari's art pretty spectacular. The caboose finally potters off into the sunset, searching for where the rest of the Welcome Train has got to...
  • PartyPanda
    PartyPanda
    Female gamers rule!

Welcome!
  • Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Female Gamers do rule, more than half my players are female (including Kenari).

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!

• gaaran
    gaaran
    I've been hearing about these elusive... female gamers, but much like bigfoot, I have only caught blurry glimpses from afar. It is good to hear so many sane (well, more or less) individuals confirm that they do exist, it lends credence to their story.

As a side note, welcome to the forums! :)
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gaar, a bit of advice... those lacking the Y chromosome rarely enjoy sasquatch euphemisms. Other than that, I greatly agree with you, fine, good, sir Gaaran!

Oh, and heeheehee... Party Panda... eee heeheehee.
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    You see how I have been deprived? i don't even know what metaphors to use!
  • PartyPanda
    PartyPanda
    @ Gaaran

"Hark! For there is a female gamer! She is as elusive and as rare as a majestic and graceful unicorn!"

Chicks dig unicorns and stuff. ;-)
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Haha, thanks Panda, I shall keep that one in mind. :)