List Existing Tags on the Editing Page

Songwind
Songwind
edited April 2010 in Feature Requests
It would be very helpful if the tags you have already used were listed on your editing page. That allows you to make sure you use the exact same format, spacing, synonyms, etc.

Even better would be checkboxes that allowed you to pick existing tags rather than retype them.

Comments

• EdenB
    EdenB
    I think auto suggestion as you type of existing tags combined with a "tag picker" option would offer the most functionality and flexibility here.
  • RayPrancer
    RayPrancer
    I've had exactly this problem before - as a result I now have two different tags to mark the limits of the setting - the others I've managed to delete the incorrect tag for.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Tags are viewable at the bottom of the page when you are editing it. And if you put tags in while not in edit mode but in view mode then it does have auto suggestion. At least for me. Maybe its a browser thing?
  • EdenB
    EdenB
    Using Google Chrome I see a list of currently applied tags for the page I'm editing. I also get Chrome "suggesting" tags as I type them, but this is local and limited to tags that I've typed in that particular text box before and if I switch up the order (i.e. "elf" "warrior" instead of "warrior" "elf"), it won't show me any options.

The feature I would like to see should work like Google Auto Suggest in their search box. It should start suggesting tags as I type letters (i.e. I type "h" and "half-elf", "half-orc", and "halfling" should be listed as possible choices) and allow me to select one as an auto completion. Once a tag has been selected, it should show up as a tag, not as editable text. Basically the only option should be to remove the tag ("x" button) or leave it and add more. The list of suggested tags should come from the entire set of all tags I've ever entered anywhere in that campaign. Tags should be universal across content type (i.e. characters, wiki, etc.).

@DarkMagus - What browser are you using? Have you seen the functionality as I'm describing it, or did you mean that your browser is suggesting text that you've typed before (technically very different from suggesting tags)? Thanks.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Oh, I think it's more like what you described. I always add tags in normal view mode, which makes the predictive text work better because you put each word in separately.

I used to use IE but downloaded firefox a few months ago. It has been my OP browser since. Everything about this site just looks and work better on it.
  • EdenB
    EdenB
    @DarkMagus - Thanks for the response. I did a test with Firefox and it works the same way as Chrome. I'm certain that it isn't pulling from your list of tags that are part of your campaign on the OP server, but is just using your local browser's "memory" of tags you've typed in before. Which while helpful isn't as good as a full-fledged tag-picker as part of the site.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Gotcha. I see how that isn't quite as helpful. Sorry about the mix up.
  • Beaumains
    Beaumains
    In my experience, this is only a problem when spelling differences are involved (e.g. Elves, dwarves). Any initial spaces seem to be patently ignored (unless placed within quotation marks), and a default spacing is applied before every tag - which usually requires a manual refresh (F5) to see properly.

That said, the editor _does_ show existing tags, as they appear, I believe, right above the add-tag line; but only after the page has been saved. For this reason I usually opt for the quicktag option (upper left) after I've finished editing.