We need a nickname.

Black_Vulmea
Black_Vulmea
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
In a post a little bit ago I found myself referring to members of Obsidian Portal as "OP'ers," and it occurred to me that we could use a more convenient shorthand for this, some kind of self-referential nickname.

Frex, the posters at ENWorld often refer to members of the community as 'ENWorlders' - easy to remember but decidedly lacking in style. Posters at Daily Kos* call themselves 'kossacks' - also easy to remember, but with a bit of clever wordplay.

So I put it to the OP community - can we come up with a fun nickname for ourselves?

* I'm citing Daily Kos strictly for its wordplay - let's keep personal politics out of this thread, please.

Comments

• Duskreign
    Duskreign
    I posed this question way "back in July":http://forums.obsidianportal.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1435

I have been using OPites (which Successwarrior thought sounded too much like 'opiate'), but I think I have a few suggestions, none of which are ideal in the slightest:

Portalers - suffers from the same lack of style you mentioned ENWorlders having
    Obsidiots - way to pejorative to be accepted universally (though I think its funny)
    OPerators...

Honestly, I still like OPites...

/shrug
  • arsheesh
    arsheesh
    I like Opites to. Unless some better suggestion is made I'm going to start using it.
  • ketherian
    ketherian
    Heh.

Some HarnMaster fans call themselves Harniacks (Harn + Maniacs); so along that logic we could be OPiacks.
    OPinions?

I like Dusk reign's OPites.
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    Personally, I don't see what the problem is with sounding like Opiates. Doesn't that simply imply that we are both addictive and relaxing (in a numbing sort of way)? I think this could be construed as a positive association.
  • Hoebagger
    Hoebagger
    I'll second Opiates, OP when capitalized just reminds me of Original Poster. Plus it sort of has to flow like /soc/ialists, fa/tg/uys, or /d/eviants.
  • LonePaladin
    LonePaladin
    OPpers.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    I'm all for Opiates as my vote :)

Also because I've a Starblazer character from the planet Omicron Persei 8 ...
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Lrrr? or Ndnd?
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    For "Nothing like D&D"?
    Post edited by Curufea on
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    OPinions? because everyone has one? and its a blend of "OP" and "minions".

* Portalliers
    * Portatoes
    * Portaliens
    * Portalities
    * Portlies
    * Portchop Sandwiches!
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I liked Opiates, until I saw Portalliers...now I vote that one, I think.
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Portalliers is good, it makes me laugh because I read it pronouncing it in my head like Portal-ears. hehehe
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Portalliers is good. Oddly, DM, I am hearing it as the french "poor-tall-ee-ay"
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    I'm with Dusk on the french accent
  • DarkMagus
    DarkMagus
    Well I guess this was a good Rorschach test huh? We found out who was cultured and who was just a goon. ;)
    Post edited by DarkMagus on
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    You better not be calling me "cultured," Dark. Wait...yeah, that's okay, I guess.
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Now I kind of want to be called the Culture Goons
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Can I still use a French accent?
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    ...The Culture Goons out of Portallier, France. We're the Chaotic Neutral to the Three Musketeer's Chaotic Good. But we're better, because A.) We're us, and B.) We can pun at will!

Chalk me up for either Culture Goons or Portalliers!
  • libranchylde
    libranchylde
    the Porters?
    MisanthrOPes?
  • gnunn
    gnunn
    We may not want to adopt anything with the word "goon" in it, as the members of "Something Awful's":http://www.somethingawful.com/ online community are already known as "goons"
  • Poutine_Paladin
    Poutine_Paladin
    Portalliers seems to have caught on a bit, as Dusk (I think) already used it to reference us in another thread. I'm going to go with it until someone tells me to stop
  • Black_Vulmea
    Black_Vulmea
    All I came up with so far was Opals and Portagers, both of which are lame.

Now, y'all know I'm gonna have to name an npc 'Portallier' in "my game":http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/le-ballet-de-l-acier, right?
  • Duskreign
    Duskreign
    Gah, BV. that makes so damn much sense in your game! Doo eeet!
  • twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    I can already see OPites happening around the forum. Although I personally like Portalliers. But I think OPites is the one that has already caught on and will be the winner.

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Curufea
    Curufea
    Portallier does make me want to shoot walls with a Portal gun though, and leap off tall cliffs...
    Post edited by Curufea on
  • JonathonVolkmer
    JonathonVolkmer
    Ha, Portatoes. Obsidian Portatoes sound like the kind of thing some monstrous portly farmer would grow...maybe in dark caverns beneath the earth, his fields lit by portphorescent moss...frenched and obsidian-fried, they'd make great sides for Portchop sandwitches!
    Post edited by JonathonVolkmer on
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Portchop sandwitches! Get the heck out of here! :)
  • igornappovich
    igornappovich
    Opa's (just like when you chug a glass of ouzo and shout HOPA!)
  • gaaran
    gaaran
    Uhh.... WHY would you EVER chug a glass of ouzo.... gross. :P